PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain AT info needed

Uncle Wayne
09-17-2002, 06:21
Brothers and Sisters,

We are doing a section hike from Clingmans to Fontana and need to know about water availability in this section. Are the water sources mentioned in the guide book still flowing? I'm sure the drought has affected the water supply to some degree. I asked the ranger when we applied for our reservations but she was not aware of any problem area but admited her info was not up to date. Any advice will be appreciated.

Kerosene
09-17-2002, 08:02
The Appalachian Trail Council maintains trail conditions by state, including drought status, at their website. Click here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/updates/index.html) for a list of states.

I checked on Georgia for you, but the latest posting was in mid-July, when it stated that water sources were weak but not dry.

I then checked the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (GATC) website (http://www.georgia-atclub.org) and found this water alert:

The Woods Hole shelter water source is barely flowing. There are water sources 10 minutes away at Slaughter Creek and on the Freeman Trail that are still okay, if not great.
Remember to carry adequate water at all times. Be aware that water sources sometimes run dry in dry seasons. Plan ahead and fill up when possible.

chris
09-17-2002, 09:24
When are you going? In the eastern end of the park, south of the main ridge, there is a lot of water (Big Creek area). I was there two weeks ago. Next weekend (not this one, but the next), I will be starting from Clingmans and running west on the AT till around Silers, then going south in a loop. If you are going after that, I can let you know about water. Last year I was in the same area in mid October and water was no problem. I wouldn't worry about water too much. This is one of the wetter parts of the eastern US.

Uncle Wayne
09-17-2002, 10:22
Thanks for this info about the water situation. I'll be starting around mid morning October 7th from Clingmans Dome and taking a 3 day trip to Fontana dam.

Kerosene
09-17-2002, 10:33
Oops. I have to read more carefully. I thought you were doing the Georgia section. The ATC link is still relevant, however.

chris
09-17-2002, 12:03
I'll post what I find in the Smokys in regards to water when I get back. I should say that bears have been pretty bad in the western part of the AT in the park. I had a 30 minute encounter with a bear at Spence Field in May and there are bear warnings for, I think, every shelter west of Silers. I had finished eating and gotten my food in the wires only 10 minutes before the bear showed up. Make sure you string up your food! Several campsites are closed and most have warnings. I haven't found where on GSMNP website the closures and warnings are listed, but they are posted various trailheads and registration areas.

chris
09-30-2002, 09:03
Due to tropical storm Isidore, it is hard to gauge what the water level was like on the AT in the Smokys. Of course,m it had been raining for something like 5 days when I got there. Creeks lower down are extremely high and fast, although still very fordable. Most were about knee high on me and I am 6'4". One or two were waist level. I don't think water will be much of a problem.
The rangers did have a low-water-level warning for Mollies Ridge and Russell Field. There are bear warnings for everything west of Clingmans Dome. Leaves are beginning to change colors ever so slightly along the AT.

MedicineMan
09-30-2002, 23:37
Uncle Wayne,Chris, others, pleast post your experience on this section when you get back (or have you?) The info will be much appreciated on Oct 19,20,21 when I make that trek!

chris
10-01-2002, 08:19
I was only on the AT from Clingmans to just before Silers when I turned south off the main ridge line. Around 4 miles out of a 45 mile trip, which isn't much. Everything looked good. Leaves are starting to drop already, despite the fairly balmy temps.

Dirtygaiters
04-07-2008, 22:51
sounds about right. I agree.

Chaco Taco
04-10-2008, 21:29
Was up there last week and the water situation is good

Lone Wolf
04-10-2008, 21:34
he wanted to know 6 years ago. :D:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
04-10-2008, 21:36
Oh damn, HAHAHAHAHA Thanks for calling me out on that!:)

Montego
04-11-2008, 16:29

Took that long for an answer huh?:D

Rain Man
04-12-2008, 16:40
Better late than never...... NOT!!!! :D

Rain:sunMan