PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Warm and Dry in Camp

NLena
11-16-2006, 13:53
I'm trying to figure out the best system for staying warm while hiking in cold weather (20s/30s) but still having dry clothes upon arrival at camp. For instance, I'd probably wear a long-sleeved shirt, midweight shirt, fleece and rain jacket to hike during the day. In camp, I'd want to wear my midweight shirt and fleece (and add a down jacket) but it's likely the shirt and fleece would be wet.

How do other hikers get around this problem? I'm trying to avoid adding more weight to my pack so I'm looking for some system that incorporates what I already have (long-sleeved wicking shirt, midweight shirt, fleece, rain jacket, down jacket). Thanks for your thoughts!

highway
11-16-2006, 14:01
Dont wait till you sweat through layers; peel them off one at a time first. If you have the correct amount on you can balance your body heat generated by your forward motion with your layered few clothes and you can actually dry wet ones while walking, in the rain, with your raingear. Besides, camp clothes, like town clothes are redundant-not really needed. Why lug around the weight of extra clothes all day in your pack to just wear sleeping?

Alligator
11-16-2006, 14:22
... Besides, camp clothes, like town clothes are redundant-not really needed. Why lug around the weight of extra clothes all day in your pack to just wear sleeping?Not true for colder temperatures. I can hike in fleece shorts and a polypro long sleeve into the low forties, but I'd be freezing my ass off in camp hanging around in. I don't plan on spending every waking minute in camp in my bag either. Even for colder temps, what I wear to stay warm in while hiking would be insufficient for staying warm in camp.

NLena-Start off on the cold side when leaving camp, you'll quickly warm up. I keep my large clothing items, shirt and pants, light. Most of the time, one shirt layer and one legs layer. I regulate my temperature with a hat, fleece handband, neck gaitor, and gloves. If conditions change drastically, I will put on a piece of my rain shell. I keep the small clothing items in a hip pouch that is easily accessible, changing them out on climbs. I also use a pair of shell pants with full length zippers at the temperatures you describe. These are great for dumping heat.

You described wearing four upper body layers. I hike warm, but I think that's likely too much for most people carrying a full pack. I'd suggest trying no more than two, and not fleece.

Footslogger
11-16-2006, 14:30
[quote=NLena;272502]I'm trying to figure out the best system for staying warm while hiking in cold weather (20s/30s) but still having dry clothes upon arrival at camp.
================================

Like everyone has pretty much said ...get out of your hiking clothes. They will most likely be full of perspiration when you stop for the day and the lack of activity and resulting drop off in body heat production will allow that moisture to cool and transfer to the skin.

Rotate your clothing so that you always (ideal circumstances) have something dry to change into when you stop hiking. Get the wet stuff off and the dry stuff on and then redon your outer layer.

'Slogger

peter_pan
11-16-2006, 14:36
And each morning put your cold wet/damp hiking gear back on to hike and repack the dry camp clothes..... this is absolutely necessary for multiple day hiking... or run out of dry camp clothes.

Pan

hammock engineer
11-16-2006, 14:49
Gator,

Do the fleece shorts work out really well for you? I have been thinking of using fleece shorts along with gaiters. I could add fleece leg warms if cold. I like hiking in shorts vs pants anyday. This would only add a little weight, since I would not need a second set of long underwear bottoms to hike in. I would still have my rain pants to hike in when it is really cold/wet.

Alligator
11-16-2006, 15:45
They work for very well for me because I section hike. There are times of the year, based mainly on temperature, that I know that they will be just fine. If I'm only out for a few days, it would take a major change in the weather to make me regret not having hiking pants. I generally wear them Sept-Nov, and March-April.

Fleece shorts and long gaiters is pretty warm for me, about the same as pants. My fleece shorts are a bit warmer than the swim trunks I use otherwise. It gives me insulation on my thighs, mine are long. My spreadsheet says my fleece ones weigh 1.1 oz more than my nylon ones, but I'm not sure if those are my swim trunks or my reg. hiking shorts.

hammock engineer
11-16-2006, 17:15
Thanks I have been thinking about buying/making some fleece shorts to hike in. OWF has some windproof fleece material that looks interesting.

Tipi Walter
11-16-2006, 17:30
Everyone's different but in the winter I backpack in shorts and a t-shirt although I may start off in heavier gear. The important thing is to stop and remove layers at the first sign of sweat. This usually comes after 10 minutes so often I just start out with the shorts and t-shirt and warm up fast. Even with this I'm careful to wear gloves and a fleece hat so I can conserve some heat in my body core starting out. If it's a real nasty day I'll wear my rain jacket with shorts and if it's a mean windy blizzard with zero temps I'll have to hike with thermal tops and bottoms under the shorts. The main thing is Sweat and Avoiding it!

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 18:06
I'd rather be on the cool side of things than sweat. I can always dig out my tarp or groundcloth to wrap around me at rest breaks. Shorts, wind pants, long sleeve nylon shirt and a marmot driclime shirt and I'm good to go to the mid twenties while hiking. Take the hat/gloves off as necessary to regulate heat.

I always have a dry set of thermals to change into, and some sort of down jacket or fleece layer as a backup. I get bored to death in camp, and usually eat dinner mid-afternoon and hike till dusk. 2 candybars and I'm down for the night.

RockyTrail
11-16-2006, 18:30
And each morning put your cold wet/damp hiking gear back on to hike and repack the dry camp clothes.....
Pan

That's the fun part! :D hee hee
But it must be done. Ten minutes of hiking and you'll forget it.
Besides, who needs coffee to wake up when donning wet clothes on a cold morning? :eek:

Spirit Walker
11-16-2006, 19:31
Four layers is probably way too much for hiking, especially if you are doing any climbing. My outer jacket rarely lasts more than 5 minutes out of camp - even in winter.

I wear supplex pants, winter or summer. Long johns are rarely needed as long as I'm moving. Shorts expose skin, which isn't so good when it's cold and windy. On top, long underwear covered by a vest, windshirt or 100 weight fleece shirt is usually enough. If it's windy or wet I'll add the rain jacket. I only put a heavy jacket on when I stop for a break or at the end of the day. As others have said, gloves, hats, balaclavas, etc. make a huge difference. I always change clothes as soon as I stop hiking, even in the summer, because I get chilled really quickly when I stop moving. In camp I'll put on dry long underwear, then the same outerwear I was wearing before (vest, etc.) plus a jacket.

In really cold winter conditions, fleece pants are wonderful for camp, as are down booties. That's for weekend trips though; they're too heavy for a thruhike. You can always get into your sleeping bag to get warm.

stickman
11-16-2006, 20:58
I don't think I can add much, but I second what Spirit Walker said about the outer layers you hike in. When I get to camp, I put on a dry warm layer next to my skin, then over that I put on the outer layer I wore hiking. Even if that is damp, you won't feel the dampness or any chill if you have a dry layer next to your skin. Your body heat will dry the dampness out of your outer layer in no time, while set up camp.

Another trick is to put that outer layer into your bag with you (assuming its no longer damp) so in the morning its both dry and warm. And I always reserve a pair of socks for use only in bed. For most hikes I use two pairs, changing socks at mid-day (a great way to minimize blisters and other foot problems), but when I get into the bag for good, I have on nice dry socks, and my feet love it.

Stickman

orangebug
11-16-2006, 21:16
Ditto. Keep a set of Capilenes or equivalent for your camp clothes, and strip into them ASAP setting up camp. If it is fairly dry and cold, you can dry your hiking clothes in your sleeping bag once you have warmed it up. Just use a few at a time, focusing on the shirts given the heat loss from your torso.

Remember that your head is the biggest heat loser. Plan on some sort of head gear in camp. I like my balacava, even when in the sleeping bag.

highway
11-17-2006, 07:27
And each morning put your cold wet/damp hiking gear back on to hike and repack the dry camp clothes..... this is absolutely necessary for multiple day hiking... or run out of dry camp clothes.

Pan

It is not necessary for everyone-and neither is a second superfluous set of clothing for 'camp'.

My 3-season clothing seldom varies beyond first layer Capilene tank top, 2nd layer capilene tee, 3rd layer long sleeve Railrider eco-mesh shirt, 4th warmth & drizzle layer Marmot dri-clime windshirt (which is now old & worn out, changing to a Paramo mountain shirt, not used yet). Rain wear is a precip or dragonfly or ID poncho, depending on season; cold gets the precip jacket. Most often its the poncho or i use nothing if its hot.

Shorts are railriders which never wear out, underwear Asics lycra boxers. I never take pants at all anymore and stopped taking long underwear since I never used it. I always wear Teva Wraptor sandals on the feet. Socks are smartwool with walmart cheap liner. I dont take a hat but just a duck-billed visor and use a heavy silk scarf tied over the head if its cold. I have worn all of the above going over mountains in summer snow around freezing and have stripped down to just the tank when its hot enough. I peel layers off when I sweat and adjust the layers to my forward motion to stay dry. I may arrive in camp with a damp back but my body heat dries me quickly and i sleep in what I wear-so my clothes are always dry in the morning. You folks that force on wet clothes in the wilderness in the mornings must be masochists-not to mention that its potentially dangerous. I'm sweating over carrying an extra pair of nylon shorts with the lining cut out for use on the AT in town while the above clothing is drip-drying after being handwashed in a sink somewhere, since its not enough for a laundrymat. Now I have worn that some mornings wet, when it had not completely dried, & just let body heat finish it off. Since the layers are so thin they dry quite quickly

So, there is a different way, just become attuned to it.

Alligator
11-17-2006, 09:29
Highway, hiking in 20-30 degree temperatures (per NLena) is winter weather. That would be daytime temps. It would really help to provide readers background as to where you are hiking and when. A tank top, sandals, and duck bill hat in winter is a little sketchy.