PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof?

stickman
11-16-2006, 21:15
I recently saw a good deal on an e-vent rain jacket, and the salesman told me that it is the most breathable waterproof fabric on the market. But I noticed that several manufacturers of e-vent products (jackets and emergency bivies) only claim that its water resistant (they say it "resists light rain or snow but not sustained downpours," or words to that effect).

So, what's the scoop? I know that many fabrics will eventually wet through, but is e-vent really better or worse than others? How does e-vent compare to my trusty old Frog Toggs for breathability and water resistance under sustained rain?

Stickman

gdwelker
11-17-2006, 16:57
From what I've read about bivy's made with E Vent, a hard rain ends up penetrating the fabric as a mist.

HikeLite
11-19-2006, 19:17
I've never heard of any water penetration through event.

SteveJ
11-19-2006, 21:48
I got a new event jacket a couple of weeks ago. My limited experience with it, while it's still new, is that it appeared to be completely impenetrable. I've worn it twice in a heavy rain - wasn't hiking, but on a field at a boy scout camporee one day, and going in and out from the car on another. All water on the jacket rolled off, and there appeared to be no penetration into the material. YMMV

Steve

stickman
11-23-2006, 15:11
SteveJ, how long were you out in the rain? Your report is encouraging, but I'm wondering why several manufacturers put up notices that E-vent won't stand up to heavy rain?

Thanks for your information!

Stickman

SteveJ
11-23-2006, 22:53
SteveJ, how long were you out in the rain? Your report is encouraging, but I'm wondering why several manufacturers put up notices that E-vent won't stand up to heavy rain?

Thanks for your information!

Stickman

It was "scattered showers" - rained hard for a few minutes, then quit, then rained hard again.... the jacket reacted with the rain as if it was plastic - all water beaded up and ran off.... dunno - didn't appear to me that it wouldn't stand up - I've permanently retired my goretex rain jacket!

mdionne
11-23-2006, 23:10
i personally never use a rain jacket. no matter what, i always get wet anyway. i carry an extra pair of dry clothes and a pack cover, of course.

namehere
11-24-2006, 02:54
hope the Event fabric does stand up better than other fabrics. i plan to rely on it as my rain gear. integral designs used to make some tents out of Event, but recently stopped due to contractual agreements. which rain jacket did you find a good deal on? i was planning on buying the ID thru-jacket. if there is a better/cheaper choice out there, i would be really interested. thanks.

Nightwalker
11-24-2006, 03:40
Waterproof without a pack is not waterproof with one. I've tried lots of things--still hoping--but have yet to stay dry in a downpour with a pack on.

:-?

Franco
11-24-2006, 06:39
The first time I used my Montane Venture jacket was during a very heavy "tropical" type downpour with water bouncing off the road . I walked around in it for about an hour and had no moisture inside or signs of wetting out. With Epic I would have been soaked . During further rain testing it appeared to be more breathable than Paclite, it always feels dry inside. ( just my opinion, not a fact) The plan is to use this as a winter jacket as it is heavier and bulkier than my other ones.
Franco

SteveJ
11-24-2006, 11:02
hope the Event fabric does stand up better than other fabrics. i plan to rely on it as my rain gear. integral designs used to make some tents out of Event, but recently stopped due to contractual agreements. which rain jacket did you find a good deal on? i was planning on buying the ID thru-jacket. if there is a better/cheaper choice out there, i would be really interested. thanks.

got the teva elements event jacket from bargain outfitters a couple of weeks ago - $56 then - looks like it's $50 now:

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=236016

darn - just noticed at the bottom of the page that it's sold out.....maybe you can find it elsewhere....

There's a pretty extensive thread over at backpacker.com about this jacket, with several pretty in-depth reviews:

http://forums.backpacker.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832107219/m/4081065051/p/1

Wasn't really looking, but this was too good of a deal to pass up!

Steve

Boat Drinks
11-24-2006, 12:00
TevaŽ Elements Trail Jacket got this at Bargain OUtfitters for cheap. Have used it in the rain a few times, so far totaly dry. I went out in a Florida thunderstorm just to test it. I'm happy.