PDA

View Full Version : Which is warmer?

Michele
11-16-2006, 21:25
I need one more layer for my lower body dry camp clothes for sleeping, in 30 degree and below weather. I currently wear mid-weight Patagonia thermals and smartwool socks. I'm looking at the following pants (not for hiking...just camp):

1. Fleece
2. Wool
3. Capilene

Fleece sure is cheaper, wool and capilene are lighter though. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2006, 21:31
Personally, I like wool because it feels warmer and doesn't hold odors.

general
11-16-2006, 21:38
i like the fleece when it's really cold, but it takes up much space in the pack.

bigcranky
11-16-2006, 21:40
Anything you choose needs to provide some insulation. The expedition-weight capilene would be okay, as would fleece pant. The wool depends on how much loft it has. I like my Powerstretch tights, kind of a stretchy fleece, very warm under a pair of wind or rain pants around camp.

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 22:10
FWIW, we weighed some stuff at work one day, and expedition weight (100 weight fleece) Capilene weighed almost the same as their mid-weight Capilene. The lightweight Capilene was also lighter than silkweight.

Nightwalker
11-16-2006, 23:31
I use capilene base with polypro over that for winter insulation. Works for me, and the polypro was cheap at the Army store.