PDA

View Full Version : saliva contains powerful pain killer

hopefulhiker
11-17-2006, 09:25
http://science.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72830/homer-drool.gifResearchers have discovered that a substance dubbed opiorphin, is up to six times more powerful than morphine. Where to get this substance? Your spit.

When researchers injected a pain-inducing chemical into rats' paws, one gram of opiorphin per kilogram of body weight achieves the same effect as three grams of morphine. In fact, the substance was so successful at blocking pain that, in a gruesome test involving a platform of upended pins, the rats needed six times as much morphine as opiorphin to render them oblivious to the pain of standing on the needle points.

Quick, Spit on my Toe!

Gaiter
11-17-2006, 10:19
also if you have blood on your clothes, or blood on your body, you can clean it up w/ spit. its the only thing that completely cleans blood from your clothes

guthook
11-17-2006, 13:03
also if you have blood on your clothes, or blood on your body, you can clean it up w/ spit. its the only thing that completely cleans blood from your clothes

Has that been proven? I'm not so sure... I put my hanky in the wash a week or two after I'd had a nosebleed into it, and now I can't see any blood on it, so I'm guessing the laundry detergent did the trick.

As for the painkilling aspect, can I just spit on my head if I have a headache? :)

Cuffs
11-17-2006, 13:07
Isnt that why dogs lick their wounds....

rockrat
11-17-2006, 13:35
Your spit is also a good de-fogger.

Gaiter
11-17-2006, 14:32
Has that been proven? I'm not so sure... I put my hanky in the wash a week or two after I'd had a nosebleed into it, and now I can't see any blood on it, so I'm guessing the laundry detergent did the trick.

As for the painkilling aspect, can I just spit on my head if I have a headache? :)

freshman year, i was working costume crew for nutcracker, while lifting a ballerina (i think it was snow, so white and light blue costumes), the male dancer was hit hard in the nose, he got off stage, a stage mangager shoved half a tampon up his nose and he went back on to finish the piece, but his very very expensive costume had blood all over it, so the heads of the costume dept. spent many hours with him, while he spit in a cup and they slowly cleaned the costume with his spit. thats where i learned about this trick.

berninbush
11-17-2006, 14:49

Maybe... it also helps clean the wound of debris, I think.

Even for people, when you get a little cut on your finger, what's your first instinct? A lot of people immediately put it in their mouth.

Old Grouse
11-17-2006, 14:55
Your spit is also a good de-fogger.

As long as you haven't been eating pizza.

Boat Drinks
11-17-2006, 15:02
When researchers injected a pain-inducing chemical into rats' paws, ...
test involving a platform of upended pins, the rats needed six times as much morphine as opiorphin to render them oblivious to the pain of standing on the needle points.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :( :datz Animal testing SUCKS

gypsy
11-17-2006, 15:14
Another good tip: A person can drink his on urine twice without doing bodily harm in an emergency situation. This is good to remember when one becomes dehydrated or without water for a long period of time.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2006, 15:17
Another good tip: A person can drink his on urine twice without doing bodily harm in an emergency situation. This is good to remember when one becomes dehydrated or without water for a long period of time.

Later at Dot's when I hit the head I'll pee into my empty bud bottle and try it out.:)

MOWGLI
11-17-2006, 15:20
Later at Dot's when I hit the head I'll pee into my empty bud bottle and try it out.:)

Don't do that! Pee in someone elses bottle and see how they do.... from afar.

soad
11-17-2006, 18:37
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :( :datz Animal testing SUCKS

So do really big letters on a message board.

Sleepy the Arab
11-17-2006, 21:52
If this spit thing is true, then why do canker sores still hurt?

superflatz
11-19-2006, 00:23

... or their "thingies".

Topcat
11-19-2006, 08:17
They lick their "thingies".......because they can

bfitz
11-19-2006, 23:50
one gram of opiorphin per kilogram of body weight achieves the same effect as three grams of morphine.
How is it extracted? I tried heating up some spit mixed with baking soda, but nothing came back...

Just Jeff
11-20-2006, 01:11

I think he meant "a bud's empty bottle" - or maybe I underestimated him...

I used to work at a vet and we'd use regular hydrogen peroxide to take blood out of our clothes. Worked pretty well.

greentick
11-20-2006, 02:31
... (http://science.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72830/homer-drool.gif)one gram of opiorphin per kilogram of body weight achieves the same effect as three grams of morphine. ....

whoa just caught this. 3 grams or 3 milligrams? Those morphine syrettes you see used in war movies typically hold 15mg of vitamin M. 3g would be 200x that dose. At 30mg a narcotic virgin runs the risk of stopping breathing:eek: . That being said, you can get a tolerance. A bud of mine who worked in the ICU said that they would have cancer patients getting 75mg every 6hrs!

Wanderingson
11-20-2006, 07:50
Is this study done by the same folks who discovered the cool effects from licking a cane-toad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoactive_toad

Jan LiteShoe
11-20-2006, 08:32
I think he meant "a bud's empty bottle" - or maybe I underestimated him...

I used to work at a vet and we'd use regular hydrogen peroxide to take blood out of our clothes. Worked pretty well.

How do you remove morning coffee from your shirt front?
One laugh, and I've ruined this shirt. :)
Quick!

Footslogger
11-20-2006, 09:35
Quick!
================================

Just drool on it Liteshoe !!

'Slogger

RiverWarriorPJ
01-20-2007, 10:19
x
None of the bartenders @ DoTs understand my Bklyn twang....I may need a translator next time there so I can get my PBR promptly.....or u can order & i'll hold up 2 fingers....:-? ..
z
z

McPick
01-20-2007, 11:16
Quick!

Well, Jan LiteShoe, there is that exchange in the movie "Body Heat," between William Hurt and Kathleen Turner...

Matty (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000678/): Would you get me a paper towel or something? Dip it in some cold water.
Ned (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000458/): Right away. I'll even wipe if off for you.
Matty (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000678/): You don't want to lick it?

um... Whoa!

Spooner
01-20-2007, 11:33
Be good and you will be lonesome,
Be lonesome and you will be free.