PDA

View Full Version : A Baglady By Any Other Name Smells The Same

grysmn
11-17-2006, 13:38
A Bag Lady By Any Other Name Smells The Same

Synopsis for knuckle dragger's- Wash your clothes and yourself with ANTIBACTERIAL soap and you will no longer stink.

Hikers and people associated with the Hiker Community are familiar with the obnoxious;s fumes emanating from Hikers. It isn't the Hiker that one smells it is the Bacteria that has colonized the Hikers clothing and body that stinks. While anyone who isn't lazy or mentally incompetent can remove bodily bacteria through reasonable hygiene (A bar of anti bacterial soap such as DIAL applied with water), a thin film of antibacterial soap applied after washing not only impedes the profiliation of bacteria, this soap film will also kill minute deer ticks through the elimination of the oil film coats the ticks body, causing dehydration and resulting in the death of the tick,. The Bacteria is also readily removed from natural fabrics with machine or hand washing. The profiliation of synthetic materials has aided the growth of bacterial colonies, resulting in Hiker Stench.
Due to the water repellent properties of synthetic materials it is difficult to remove bacteria that has colonized ones clothes with detergent soaps. That is unless one uses an antibacterial soap. This soap can be applied in the wash cycle by either placing a bar of antibacterial soap or by pouring in antibacterial soap in liquid form.
Socializing is a part of hiking, The elimination of bacterial colonies in ones clothing and oneself e will enhance this socializing.

note Humans do not have an exoskeleton that needs a film of oil to retard water loss, in other words “bathing with soap will not result in your death”

Ender
11-17-2006, 13:45
What are you saying? Hikers smell? :eek:

Hmmm... I had no idea ;)

:welcome

Ender
11-17-2006, 13:47
Meant totally tongue in cheek, by the way.

Not a bad idea to use the anti-bacterial gel on the pits to try and help alleviate the stench, instead of just on the hands.

the goat
11-17-2006, 13:53
often times you don't have a choice when thru-hiking.

in other words you use what's available in a hiker hostel or trail town.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-17-2006, 13:55
A little powdered oxy-clean goes a long way toward making clothing smell better - and it breaks down completely into harmless elements.
:-? maybe we should start leaving oxy-clean in hiker boxes :-?

Ender
11-17-2006, 14:31

actually, that's a pretty good idea...

Boat Drinks
11-17-2006, 14:58
A Bag Lady By Any Other Name Smells The Same

Synopsis for knuckle dragger's- Wash your clothes and yourself with ANTIBACTERIAL soap and you will no longer stink.

Hikers and people associated with the Hiker Community are familiar with the obnoxious;s fumes emanating from Hikers. It isn't the Hiker that one smells it is the Bacteria that has colonized the Hikers clothing and body that stinks. While anyone who isn't lazy or mentally incompetent can remove bodily bacteria through reasonable hygiene (A bar of anti bacterial soap such as DIAL applied with water), a thin film of antibacterial soap applied after washing not only impedes the profiliation of bacteria, this soap film will also kill minute deer ticks through the elimination of the oil film coats the ticks body, causing dehydration and resulting in the death of the tick,. The Bacteria is also readily removed from natural fabrics with machine or hand washing. The profiliation of synthetic materials has aided the growth of bacterial colonies, resulting in Hiker Stench.
Due to the water repellent properties of synthetic materials it is difficult to remove bacteria that has colonized ones clothes with detergent soaps. That is unless one uses an antibacterial soap. This soap can be applied in the wash cycle by either placing a bar of antibacterial soap or by pouring in antibacterial soap in liquid form.
Socializing is a part of hiking, The elimination of bacterial colonies in ones clothing and oneself e will enhance this socializing.

note Humans do not have an exoskeleton that needs a film of oil to retard water loss, in other words “bathing with soap will not result in your death”

Waoh, Hell of a first post!

A little powdered oxy-clean goes a long way toward making clothing smell better - and it breaks down completely into harmless elements.
Nice idea!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-17-2006, 14:59
While I realize this started as a funny thread, it really would make sense to put Oxy-clean (or a generic oxygen bleach) in hiker boxes. Bacteria not only smell bad, they can cause things like 'swamp rump', blisters, etc. to become infected and force people to leave the trail to get medical care.

peanuts
11-21-2006, 10:56
that's one of the reasons i carry rubbing alcohol.wipe in strategic places..kill bacteria=kill ordors:)
and yes bandana bath at the end of the day!

Ender
11-21-2006, 11:46
A banana bath every day? Wouldn't that get messy and attract bears? ;)

Gray Blazer
11-21-2006, 11:58
While I realize this started as a funny thread, it really would make sense to put Oxy-clean (or a generic oxygen bleach) in hiker boxes. Bacteria not only smell bad, they can cause things like 'swamp rump', blisters, etc. to become infected and force people to leave the trail to get medical care.I did not realize other people were aware of 'swamp rump'. Western Carolina, as well as some other teams who have played in G'ville in the "Swamp" have become aware of this. BTW, I have my camo gator hat ready to wear when I hit the trail this spring.

Oddjob
11-22-2006, 13:13
'swamp rump'

The guy I hike with on the AT refers to it as "Monkey Butt" -- and I personally found it hilarious that EMS now sells: http://images.ems.com/media/images/products/210/21022/2102244/210224424/210224424_200.jpg

halftime
11-22-2006, 13:33
The guy I hike with on the AT refers to it as "Monkey Butt" -- and I personally found it hilarious that EMS now sells: http://images.ems.com/media/images/products/210/21022/2102244/210224424/210224424_200.jpg

Along the same line: Not sure how well this helps with the odor, however.

http://www.buttpaste.com/custom/webpage.cfm?content=getList&CategoryID=42&do=list&CFID=13590077&CFTOKEN=29076558

"Pharmacist George Boudreaux opened his Louisiana drugstore in 1978 and soon began whipping up an old fashioned elixir that magically cured lots of irritated baby bottoms—and people discovered it also worked wonders on itches, scrapes and cuts.

Local doctors started sending people to George for his miracle cream—they just didn't know what to call it. One doctor recalls laughing, "I'd send them over to see George and say, 'He's got a really good butt paste.'"

And so the name "Boudreaux's Butt Paste" stuck and became a legend. Now George's product is "kicking butt." George says athletes—even some famous ones—love "Butt Paste" because it helps soothe jock itch!

You can find Boudreaux's Butt Paste in Walmart and Target stores nationwide. "

Just Jeff
11-22-2006, 13:45
I used hand sanitizer gel in "strategic places" in the desert when we didn't have showers. It gave the boys a helluva sting for about 30 seconds as I thought "*** did I just do?!" but killed the odor and MAN did I feel better after that.

Tha Wookie
11-22-2006, 14:32
The interaction with humans and bacteria is such a lovely thing....

when compared to even one squirt of perfume.

LostInSpace
11-22-2006, 14:58
The interaction with humans and bacteria is such a lovely thing....

when compared to even one squirt of perfume.

In "The End", bacteria always win.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-22-2006, 15:09
I used hand sanitizer gel in "strategic places" in the desert when we didn't have showers. It gave the boys a helluva sting for about 30 seconds as I thought "*** did I just do?!" but killed the odor and MAN did I feel better after that.:eek:...:eek:...There is no way alcohol gel is getting anywhere near my 'lady place'...:eek:...:eek:

Topcat
11-22-2006, 20:32
Alcohol may be the only way i ever got near a 'lady place' .........

oh wait, your talking rubbing alcohol....ohhhhh....

never mind

Tha Wookie
11-22-2006, 21:00
In "The End", bacteria always win.

I don't think there is an end. More like a cycle. I doubt we could be born without healthy amounts of bacteria, although I am not a biologist.

LostInSpace
11-23-2006, 08:43
I don't think there is an end. More like a cycle. I doubt we could be born without healthy amounts of bacteria, although I am not a biologist.

I was referring to death and decomposition. :D

Jaybird
11-23-2006, 09:10
What are you saying? Hikers smell? :eek:
Hmmm... I had no idea ;)
:welcome

Geeeeeeeeeeee....i've NEVER noticed!
hehehehehehehe:D

K0OPG
11-26-2006, 15:53
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...I'm not going to be able to take a shower every night??? I thought there were showers at all of the shelters and some even had bathtubs?!?

Well, that's it. no trail for me next year. forget it. nope, not me.:p

Tried the gold bond medicated on the chest and other places (deputy in yuma arizona in summer in a bulletproof vest) and I had to jump in the shower after about 5 minutes...I have never burned so badly from powder.