PDA

View Full Version : Cooking pot recomendations

nutlub
11-17-2006, 21:55
Whats up yall,

I am looking to replace my MSR Alpine Classic Cookset (http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/alpine_classic.asp) It has served me well over the years but I have never been 100 percent happy with it.
For example, the lid kinda jiggles around on the 1.5 liter pot.

Anyway, what do you whiteblazers recommend for my next cook set. I am looking for something in the 1.5 liter - 1.5 quart maybe 4 to 6 cup range

:D

mdionne
11-17-2006, 22:21
i like the blacklite line and use only the smaller pot.

Footslogger
11-17-2006, 22:49
Whats up yall,

I am looking to replace my MSR Alpine Classic Cookset (http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/alpine_classic.asp) It has served me well over the years but I have never been 100 percent happy with it.

Anyway, what do you whiteblazers recommend for my next cook set. I am looking for something in the 1.5 liter - 1.5 quart maybe 4 to 6 cup range

===================================

If you're willing/interested in going Titanium I would suggest the Evernew 1.3 Liter set.

'Slogger

Jerm
11-18-2006, 00:48
i second the evernew or newer vargo 1.3 L ti pots. i actually carry the .9 L version when i hike solo, and use the 1.3L when i hike with my wife.

SGT Rock
11-18-2006, 06:57
0.9L Evernew does me well too.

hustler
11-19-2006, 00:18
Go to sprawl-mart and head to the the cooking section. Buy the cheapest 1.5 quart pot you can find and cut the handle off. Then make a lid from the bottom of a pie pan. It has done me well.

little bear
11-19-2006, 01:26
I just got the jet boil group set at REI for $79 it was on sale normal price like $110.00. seems to be good so far on try out, plan on using it next week on the foot hills trail. but if it is something you are intrested in try REI while they are on sale.

peter_pan
11-19-2006, 08:08
I like the 0.85 qt anti stick from anti-gravity gear...also only $8.

Pan

Heater
11-19-2006, 09:15
Whats up yall,

1.5 litre is about right for me too. My 1.3 Litre Evernew is just a little too small. I have a 1.9 I'll prbably take on the thru.

Here is a Ti set almost like what you had. This is what I have and am very happy with it.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47875652&parent_category_rn=6525426

jigsaw
11-19-2006, 09:49
msr titan kettle i think its .9 just big enough. i still use my alpine cookset when my wife and kids come along.

stickman
11-19-2006, 17:57
I know there was a post on this a while ago and I thought it wouldn't be an issue for me, but on my last hike I used an Evernew 1.3L Ti pot for the first time, and and I swear the water I boiled tasted metallic. I assume it was a titantium taste, except that I don't actually know what titanium tastes like. Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?

Stickman

Hana_Hanger
11-19-2006, 18:05
I love my MSR Titan Pot/Kettle works perfect for me as well and when one other person comes along...it even holds the regular box of Krafts Mac N Cheese just barely but it works.

I love the fact that the lid does not pop off, its a nice tight fit.
Plus my plastic measuring cup and alcohol stove with fuel and matches all fit inside :)

BigFoot2002
11-19-2006, 23:10
This Snow Peak works for me. Will hold 2 Liptons. Will also keep your Pop tarts, cookies, or crackers uncrushed.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/SN2500

Dances with Mice
11-19-2006, 23:26
Titan kettle.

Like Hana said, the lid is really tight. It's tight enough to knock over your stove & pot, kick the stove away, stomp out the flames then pick up the pot and not lose your supper. Or so I've been told. I wouldn't know.

Really.

And it'll cook three Lipton's dinners! But not all at the same time.

kab21
11-25-2006, 20:36
I've got the evernew .9L and it works well, but I've been eyeing the montbell .9L. It adds 1oz, but the lid doubles as a small skillet/plate. They also have 1.3L and 1.8L pots. All titanium.

Spock
11-25-2006, 21:18
I use the Evernew 1.3 L for tandem hiking, but a 600 ml titanium mug (Snow Peak, 2.8 oz.) for solo. Would prefer something wider and shorter w/o handles - but no more than 2.25 cups or about 500 ml. That works best for my cooking.

tarbender
11-26-2006, 05:14
Try a grease pot from walmart. They are light and cheap. Antigravity gear also has a good selection of nice and reasonably priced options. I personally wouldn't waist the money on titanium unless you are a gram weeny.

-jeff aka frankenfeet

mike!
11-26-2006, 22:26
I use the Evernew 1.3 L for tandem hiking, but a 600 ml titanium mug (Snow Peak, 2.8 oz.) for solo. Would prefer something wider and shorter w/o handles - but no more than 2.25 cups or about 500 ml. That works best for my cooking.

Spock, check out the link below for bpl.com's new cook gear, 500 ml, no handel, 2.19 ounces. makes me wish i could get by with 500 ml :D
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/firelite-sul-550-titanium-cookpot.html

bigcranky
11-27-2006, 08:09
Yeah, mike!, I think the folks at BPL saw Spock's request and whipped up the perfect pot, just like that. I want one. (Not that I need any more stinking pots, but still, I want one.)

I understand that BPL will have a couple of larger pots in this line in the near future.

DawnTreader
11-27-2006, 11:12
Any reason you need a pot that big? I get by well with the antigravity gear 3 cup pot with cozy.. Its super light and serves all my purposes. My ion stove, plastic tea cup and seasoning shaker fit neatly tucked inside, wrapped in my dishcloth bandana, its my perfect setup.. www.antigravitygear.com (http://www.antigravitygear.com)
peace
DT

Mother Nature
11-27-2006, 11:22
Smokestack and I used the Walmart Greasepot for a very long time. As the lip is curved in, we were careful to keep food from the reaching the lip. Despite our caution, while preparing a meal one day, a thin stream of green slime slid out from under the lip into the pot. We immediately replaced the pot with an Antigravity Gear pot that had the edge rolled out. Same weight. No slime.

Mother Nature

Rain Man
11-27-2006, 11:39

Well, this is definitely a HYOH thing, as are so many. I have a neat 3-cup Anti-Gravity Gear black anti-stick pot and cozy. Works well, though I wish it had a handle. I have a "boy scout" kind of cook set with a similar pot, with handle,-- but alas it's not no-stick. It's all a trade-off.

I also have an MSR Titan kettle, which is great for boiling water. But I have decided after 300+ miles on the AT that I really want more cuisine than boiled water.

My favorite right now is my GSI anodized no-stick pot with frying-pan lid. It's bigger (about the size you asked about) and thus a tad heavier, but it allows me to do so much more with meals. I cook fresh eggs for breakfast, "campfire pizza" for dinner, and can saute' onions and peppers and mushrooms and beef tips, etc.

If food is a big part of enjoying the trail or a particular trip, you'll want a variety of pots to choose from. ENJOY!!!

Rain:sunMan

Mags
11-27-2006, 22:12
As somone else said, an el cheapo aluminum pot. Get it from the thrift store. I use a piece of tin foil for a lid.

Worked well for me on my recent hike as well as past ones.

Figure I'll save the $$$ for good cooking pots for my kitchen at home. I am just boiling water on the trail afterall. :)

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-28-2006, 14:20
Yeah, mike!, I think the folks at BPL saw Spock's request and whipped up the perfect pot, just like that. I want one. (Not that I need any more stinking pots, but still, I want one.)

I understand that BPL will have a couple of larger pots in this line in the near future.

Yup a 900 and a 1300... I look forward to seeing how they turn out.