PDA

View Full Version : Scam alert

generoll
11-18-2006, 00:16
Most of you probably don't need to be told this, but not everyone who comes onto this forum professing an interest in backpacking is trustworthy. It appears that in my enthusiasm to encourage newcomers to participate in backpacking, I've lent some gear to a phantom. My own foolishness I suppose, but do take heed and try to learn a bit about anyone that you are loaning out gear to, sight unseen.

Catsgoing
11-18-2006, 00:20
Sorry this happen to you!

MOWGLI
11-18-2006, 00:31
You're a good guy Gene. If you need to borrow some gear, you know where to find me.

RAT
11-18-2006, 00:36
The world is full of deviants such as that. Hate to hear it,
RAT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-18-2006, 06:43
So sorry to hear this has happened to such a fine fellow.

SGT Rock
11-18-2006, 07:14
Generoll, is this a member here at WhiteBlaze? If so, please send me a PM or post the ID here.

Hammock Hanger
11-18-2006, 09:09
Gene, I am sorry that this has happened. You are definitely a great guy. Had you not helped me out the time I was finishing up my BMT I hike it wouldn't have happened. -- I like you can be just too trusting... however, karma has a way of getting even for us even if we don't see it happen. I hope who ever ran off with your gear gets really really bad karma. Sue

Roland
11-18-2006, 09:22
Generoll, is this a member here at WhiteBlaze? If so, please send me a PM or post the ID here.

A few weeks ago, I remember someone posting that generoll was lending them a hammock. As I recall, he was looking to borrow other gear, as well, in order to partake in an organized weekend trek.

Upon seeing this thread, this person immediately became suspect, in my mind. If this person is not the perpetrator, it's not fair to him that I, and others at WB, have branded him a thief.

I agree with Rock, don't protect the identity of a bum. Expose him, for all to see.

Skidsteer
11-18-2006, 09:31
A few weeks ago, I remember someone posting that generoll was lending them a hammock. As I recall, he was looking to borrow other gear, as well, in order to partake in an organized weekend trek.

Upon seeing this thread, this person immediately became suspect, in my mind. If this person is not the perpetrator, it's not fair to him that I, and others at WB, have branded him a thief.

I agree with Rock, don't protect the identity of a bum. Expose him, for all to see.

That's the cat that Gene is talking about.

Maybe he'll get a good case of the guilts and come through in the end. I hate it for you Gene.

Cuffs
11-18-2006, 11:52
Gene, if you have his address still... well, we could ALL just show up at his door... You just tell me when and where!

generoll
11-18-2006, 12:11
lol. sure. maybe we could get him to host the next WB get together. I think he had me send the hammock to either a business or a postal service. When I ran his call letters they didn't match the shipping address, so I suppose he's living somewhat off the radar. I think I'll just have to chalk this one up to another lesson learned. I'll let Hammock Hangars bad kharma deal with the matter.

I wasn't using the hammock so it's really just an annoyance at being scammed more then anything else.

Ewker
11-18-2006, 14:24
dang Gene, I feel bad because I told him about WB. He was on another list and I mentioned the BMT hike to him. I haven't ever met him. I just wanted to help him get back into backpacking. Next time I will keep my mouth shut

generoll
11-18-2006, 14:31
not to worry my friend. we all sometimes let our enthusiasm for what we love carry us away. no one's to blame other then the guy who took under false pretenses.

hope we can both meet and greet the next time an opportunity arises.

MOWGLI
11-18-2006, 15:40
Gene, if you have his address still... well, we could ALL just show up at his door...

...said the pistol packin' Mama! Don't mess with no woman from Alabama! ;)

peanuts
11-18-2006, 18:26
i am so sorry that happened to you. it comes to show you that some people need to be hung and fillet....:mad:

superflatz
11-19-2006, 00:33
Wasn't it nice when people used their brains for finding honest work? Now we are inundated with scum and smart punks that find it more fun to make "viruses" than to make a living with their knowhow.

I'm new here, so I hope I'm not treading where I don't belong. It's just after 51 years of life, I'm sick of those that take advantage of other's good nature.

Generoll, I'll gladly chip in to buy a new hammock. Good luck. Maybe he is still on his "long weekend".

bob

generoll
11-19-2006, 04:29
thanks Bob. I wasn't using the hammock, so it was in excess of my needs. I hadn't planned on cleaning out my garage in quite that manner, but I don't plan on replacing it. Welcome to WB. As you can see for yourself, it's a good bunch.

superflatz
11-19-2006, 18:23
Thanks gene, I've already learned tons and been greeted by some extremely nice people.

EMAN
11-20-2006, 13:45
Might be a good idea to watch sites like EBay to see if this item or one like it comes up for sale. I reckon Gene has the right idea in "lesson learned" however, I lean more towards AHG's suggestion.....

generoll
11-20-2006, 17:49
I received an email from the USPS stating that a package has been sent to me by the recipient of my hammock. I'm assuming that it contains my hammock and therefore I want to apologize if I was hasty in my judgement.

Heater
11-20-2006, 18:17
I received an email from the USPS stating that a package has been sent to me by the recipient of my hammock. I'm assuming that it contains my hammock and therefore I want to apologize if I was hasty in my judgement.

Great news! :sun

RockyTrail
11-20-2006, 18:30
In case it doesn't work out, just google his call letters. It looks like he's an extra-class ham all over the internet, with photos, address, websites, etc. Hard to hide when you have that much exposure!
Hope it was just a misunderstanding and he'll get out and hike again.:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-20-2006, 18:31
Perhaps the gentleman was just a bit tardy and saw this thread. My faith in hiking humanity has been somewhat restored :)

Skidsteer
11-20-2006, 18:53

That's great news if he comes through, Gene. Who knows? It could've just been a cashflow problem. At any rate, all's well that ends well and I love to hear it when folks do the right thing.

Can I borrow it next? ;)

Ewker
11-20-2006, 21:35
glad to hear you are getting the hammock back

dixicritter
11-21-2006, 00:27
That's good news Gene! Glad to hear it sounds like it is working out well afterall. :)

stumpy
11-21-2006, 19:06
Nice to see you can enjoy others mistakes!

Amigi'sLastStand
11-22-2006, 08:13
Glad it seems it will work out for you Gene. Scammers and thieves deserve the Saudi treatment. Just a little prick, then choppo...

Skidsteer
11-22-2006, 08:48
Amigi!

Where you been, man?

Hiking, I hope.