PDA

View Full Version : Wood stoves in the DAKS

nutlub
11-18-2006, 18:18
Open fires are banned in the High Peaks region of the Adirondaks...but can I bring my wood burning stove (http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#). Is it legal?

:confused:

Blue Jay
11-18-2006, 20:52
Open fires are banned in the High Peaks region of the Adirondaks...but can I bring my wood burning stove (http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#). Is it legal?

:confused:

That is a very good question and there is no clear answer. Different officers have given me different answers. It depends on who catches you. A hard ass might ticket you and take the stove. Another would look the other way. I rarely use mine, but if I were going to, I would use it away from established trails and/or leantos. Many of the "rules" in the DAKs confuse everyone.

Peaks
11-19-2006, 10:38
A better place to ask a question such as this is on Views from the top.

Blue Jay
11-19-2006, 16:38
I have been trying to reobtain the exact wording of the regulation without success. The problem is the term "open fire". Something like an old army wood stove like mine or a Zip Stove could be considered either open or closed depending again on who was looking at it. Again I would say just don't flaunt it and you should be OK. Outside of the Lodge and along the trail to Marcy you rarely see a Ranger. Then again if it rains, you could start to smoke and with bad luck a team of Smoke Jumpers could land on you. Hey, it's NY anything can happen.:banana

Toolshed
11-19-2006, 19:12
I'd give up on the stove. You are hardpressed to find much dry burnable wood in the legal campsites anyways.
Here are the regs. you can see speicifically it lumps wood stoves in with campfires. I spent a lotta time in teh 80's and 90's there before moving south to warmer climes - If you go this time of year, go with a good reliable stove. By the way this is a great time of the year to go, the seasonals are gone and the winter 46ers won't start up for another month. You will need crampons and probably snowshoes at elevation.

Link (http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs/part190b.html#190.13)
-------
§190.13 Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park
a. Applicability. Unless otherwise specified, sections 190.0 through 190.6 and sections 190.8 through 190.9 of this Part apply to all units of state land in the Adirondack Park which are classified as wilderness by the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan. In addition, specific regulations for individual wilderness areas in the Adirondack Forest Preserve are set forth in this section. In case of a conflict between a provision of this section and a provision of sections 190.0 through 190.6 and sections 190.8 through 190.9 of this Part, or a provision of Part 196 of this Title, the provision of this section shall apply.

b. Definitions. As used in this section, the following terms shall have the indicated meanings:

1. Adirondack Canoe Route Zone means the strip of land within the High Peaks Wilderness Area which is situated within 500 feet of the mean high water mark of the eastern shore of Long Lake and the Raquette River.

2. Bear-resistant canister means a commercially made container constructed of solid, non-pliable material manufactured for the specific purpose of resisting entry by bears.

3. Campfire means an outdoor fire for warmth, cooking, repelling insects, or aesthetics, but shall exclude stoves using fuels other than wood.

4. Eastern High Peaks Zone means that portion of the High Peaks Wilderness Area located to the east of the ridge line immediately west of the Indian Pass Trail.

5. High Peaks Wilderness Area means those lands in the Towns of Keene, North Hudson, Newcomb and North Elba, Essex County; Harrietstown, Franklin County; and Long Lake, Hamilton County described in the most current copy of the"Adirondack Park Land Use and Development Plan Map and State Land Map" on file in the offices of the Adirondack Park Agency. The High Peaks Wilderness Area shall include the Adirondack Canoe Route Zone, the Western High Peaks Zone, and the Eastern High Peaks Zone.

6. Overnight camper means a person who stays or intends to stay in the Eastern High Peaks Zone during the night.

7. Primitive tent site means a tent site of an undeveloped character providing space for not more than three tents, which may have an associated pit privy and fire ring, designed to accommodate a maximum of eight people on a temporary or transient basis, and located so as to accommodate the need for shelter in a manner least intrusive on the surrounding environment. A primitive tent site shall be designated by an official department sign or disk.

8. South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor shall mean that portion of the High Peaks Wilderness Area which is generally located between the McIntyre Range on the west and Mt. Marcy on the east and between South Meadows on the north and the state land boundary on the south, and which is more specifically described as follows: beginning at a point on Heart Lake Road (County Road 34) which is one half mile north of the intersection of Heart Lake Road and South Meadows Road; then running easterly in a line that is one half mile north of and parallel to South Meadows Road until it reaches the end of such road; then running southeasterly in a line that is one half mile northeast of and parallel to the Klondike Trail until it reaches a point which is one half mile northeast of U.S.G.S. benchmark 2567 on the Klondike Trail; then running southwesterly in a straight line to such benchmark; then continuing in a southwesterly direction to the ridge line which leads to the summit of Phelps Mountain; then running southerly up such ridge line to a peak northeast of the summit of Phelps Mountain; then running the ridge line from such peak to the summit of Phelps Mountain; then running generally southerly along the ridge line leading from the summit of Phelps Mountain over the summits of Table Top Mountain, Little Marcy, Mt. Marcy, Mt. Skylight, Mt. Redfield, and Cliff Mountain; then running southerly following a straight line from the summit of Cliff Mountain to the point where Upper Twin Brook intersects with the boundary of state land; then running generally northwesterly along the state land boundary to the height of land of the MacIntyre Mountain Range; then running northeasterly along the ridge line to the summit of Mount Marshall; then running northeasterly along the ridge line from the summit of Mount Marshall over the summits of Iroquois Peak, Boundary Peak, Algonquin Peak, and Wright Peak; then running northerly in a straight line from the summit of Wright Peak to the southwestern corner of the Adirondack Loj property; then running easterly along the boundary between the Adirondack Loj property and the state land to the southeastern corner of the Adirondack Loj property; then running northerly along such boundary to a point which is due west of the intersection of Heart Lake Road and South Meadows Road; then continuing northerly along such boundary for one half mile; then running easterly to the point of beginning.

9. Tent means a temporary, collapsible shelter which is used for camping outdoors and is made primarily of fabric but which may have walls constructed from other materials.

10. Tent Platform means a platform, with or without walls and other attachments, erected as a base for tenting or similar camping activity.

11. Trail means a marked and maintained path or way for foot, horses, or cross country ski travel.

12. Western High Peaks Zone means that portion of the High Peaks Wilderness Area located to the west of the ridge of land immediately west of the Indian Pass Trail, excluding the Adirondack Canoe Route Zone.