PDA

View Full Version : Acreage and Views! F/S

walkin' wally
11-19-2006, 18:40
This ad from the Greenville, Maine Moosehead Messenger;

Century 21 Muzzy Real Estate Greenville Me.

MONSON: 60+- acre mountainside lot with a panoramic view of several Northern Maine lakes. Privacy is assured behind a locked gate. The Appalachian Trail runs along the Southern border. Lake Hebron is close by. #1756 $135,000

Toolshed
11-19-2006, 18:58
Wow!!! $135K - Doesn;t get much better than that!!!
Any idea what taxes are? I've been looking for some cheap property for a B&H strategy.:)

woodsy
11-20-2006, 19:51
Check this out http://www.citytowninfo.com/places/maine/monson

Tax rates seem to change on a yearly basis but you could expect to pay between $15 and $25 per thousand dollars of valuation.

Stonewall
11-20-2006, 20:47
How much of the 60 acres is ths side of the mountain? lol

TJ aka Teej
11-20-2006, 22:45
Thanks for the tip, Wally! Wow... if I'm reading the AT map and Gazetteer right I may have to call Muzzy! (or Weary!)

Appalachian Tater
11-20-2006, 23:14
http://www.century21muzzy.com/property.asp?propnum=1756-823384

Click on "Property details" and there's a PDF with more info.

MedicineMan
11-21-2006, 04:54
at 165/per person WB could buy it and 'give' it to the AT

walkin' wally
11-21-2006, 09:18
I am not an economist by any stretch, but if property values in this area continue to move the way they have been the last 10 years this land will only increase in value. Taxes will rise acordingly too, I guess.

walkin' wally
11-21-2006, 09:25
How much of the 60 acres is ths side of the mountain? lol

There really is not much of a mountain here. Not in the sense of the large mountains the AT goes over in Maine.

weary
11-21-2006, 21:37
Wow!!! $135K - Doesn;t get much better than that!!!
Any idea what taxes are? I've been looking for some cheap property for a B&H strategy.:)
Actually, the price is on the high side. AMC paid less than $400 for the 37,000 acres it bought three years ago. The price per acre goes up for relatively small lots, but such lands could be purchased for $200 an acre a decade ago.

I'm not saying it's not a good investment. Maine's wilderness has been mostly sold to developers like Muzzy and they are making huge profits.

It has been in anticipation of these price increases that I've been begging people on this and other forums for months for donations to provide buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine. Quite frankly the response has been considerably less than overwhelming.

Weary www.matlt.org

Flower lady
01-28-2007, 19:28
i didnt know this was an real estate thread !! but hey lets just start if you think muzzy has a deal, lets post other real estate in maine an see what you come up with. deals are every where even in your state the only thing different up here is lack of WORK .

TJ aka Teej
01-28-2007, 19:36
Hi FlowerLady!
Privately owned land abutting the AT in Maine is hard to come by. I'm always interested in hearing about property like the one listed above, and would snap up the right piece of land in a heartbeat! I think this one is overpriced, it is still on the market though, and I plan on looking at it in person the next time I'm in Monson.

walkin' wally
01-29-2007, 16:31
I believe that the price of land in the area has been going up steadily, or not falling, for a long time. I don't see what, other than a major economic slowdown, is going to change that.

It used to be high priced lakefront property but now it is anything reasonable in that area. Roadside and back lots. The lots that Plum Creek may offer are going to go for $60-80k. They said, "well within the price range of the average Mainer". These lots will be much smaller than the land in Monson.

Today's robbery is tomorrow's bargain. That's has been my experience up there.

Just my opinion
YMMV

weary
01-29-2007, 18:17
I believe that the price of land in the area has been going up steadily, or not falling, for a long time. I don't see what, other than a major economic slowdown, is going to change that.
It used to be high priced lakefront property but now it is anything reasonable in that area. Roadside and back lots. The lots that Plum Creek may offer are going to go for $60-80k. They said, "well within the price range of the average Mainer". These lots will be much smaller than the land in Monson.
Today's robbery is tomorrow's bargain. That's has been my experience up there.
Just my opinion YMMV
It's true all over Maine. A friend of mine once turned down buying a 150 acre, salt water peninsular for $25,000 because his lawyer said to wait and he could get it for $15,000. Five acre lots there now sell for $150,000.

I'd be wealthy if in the 50s and 60s I could have afforded to buy all the waterfront land being offered for $15 an acre. Well, maybe not really rich. I gave the one $50 an acre woodlot I did manage to buy to our land trust to help protect a wild pond.

Weary

Smile
01-29-2007, 19:27
I wonder what kind of building codes are there?

Pacific Tortuga
01-29-2007, 19:34
135k won't even get you a condo here..:mad:

The Weasel should quote the prices in Laguna Beach, CA., million dollar fixer-uppers :eek:

The Weasel
01-29-2007, 19:40
The Weasel should quote the prices in Laguna Beach, CA., million dollar fixer-uppers :eek:

More like 1.5 milllion. With a tiny ocean view (i.e. you can see a little water). That's for about 800 sq. ft., no yard.

The Weasel

woodsy
01-29-2007, 19:48
I wonder what kind of building codes are there?

Well if you get on the bandwagon soon, you might still be able to put a OUTHOUSE in. And I would also suggest bringing enough money to live on for a long time:) Otherwise. plan on traveling some distance to make little money.
Maine, the way life should be?:rolleyes:

weary
01-30-2007, 01:04
....Maine, the way life should be?:rolleyes:
Maine is like the trail. Some love it. Some hate it.
I was away for 12 years -- 1946 to 1958. I've never once regretted my decision to return. It's not a good place to get rich -- unless you're into real estate speculation. But it's a great place to live and work.

Of course I've had to rework my tiny bit of Maine to make it fit my special interests. I now can drive two miles in any direction and find a trail through protected woodlands to walk on in any season. Just a bit further is a trail to a wild pond, and another to a thousand feet of sand beach, fronting an 83-acre old growth forest, again all protected through the efforts of a handful of volunteers.

Life is what you make of it. Literally so in my town. I spent the afternoon discussing applicants for an executive director job to serve two adjacent community land trusts.

Weary

Appalachian Tater
01-30-2007, 08:47
More like 1.5 milllion. With a tiny ocean view (i.e. you can see a little water). That's for about 800 sq. ft., no yard.

The Weasel

Two years ago, the cheapest house I saw for sale in Laguna Beach was a literal beach shack, not even a house, on a postage-stamp lot for just under a million. No water view, either.

walkin' wally
01-30-2007, 09:33
Interesting. Two completely different parts of the country but the same issue. Oceanfront property in Maine is now out of reach for most folks here as far as housing goes anyway. Sometimes a parcel will come under some protection so people can enjoy it in the future.

And maybe some land along the AT corridor too. Like Weary says if there was more money maybe the lot in Monson or one similar could be purchased.

I'll bet that land in Monson will sell fairly soon despite the price. That area would make a good "base of operations". The are a lot of nice places to go to from there in just a short time.

As far as investment goes, the lots that were sold not too long ago at First Roach Pond near Kokadjo by Plum Creek have more than doubled in resale value and that is with no improvement on them.

woodsy
01-30-2007, 10:00
Maine is like the trail. Some love it. Some hate it.
I was away for 12 years -- 1946 to 1958. I've never once regretted my decision to return. It's not a good place to get rich -- unless you're into real estate speculation. But it's a great place to live and work.

Of course I've had to rework my tiny bit of Maine to make it fit my special interests. I now can drive two miles in any direction and find a trail through protected woodlands to walk on in any season. Just a bit further is a trail to a wild pond, and another to a thousand feet of sand beach, fronting an 83-acre old growth forest, again all protected through the efforts of a handful of volunteers.

Life is what you make of it. Literally so in my town. I spent the afternoon discussing applicants for an executive director job to serve two adjacent community land trusts.

Weary

Yes it is a great place to live and work if you can find gainful employment. I often wonder how rural Mainers make ends meet . I think our per capita income here is at the same level as Louisiana, on the bottom of the country's list of states.

However, if one is willing to live with LESS like most of us do here then there is endless recreational opportunities enough for a full lifetime.
Beyond the trail corridor are more mountains to climb, lakes and ponds to paddle, scenic rivers to run, streams to fish , backcountry trails to ski or whatever else your outside passions might be.

Better bring your own money though.

Jan LiteShoe
01-30-2007, 10:07

Weary

Weary,
Thanks for your advocacy.
Perhaps you would consider leveraging your talents by composing a small article to post here on how to "rework" one's neighborhood.
You may dismiss this as obvious, having done it so long and being familiar with the channels, but I suspect such info might have a "ripple effect."
:)

moxie
01-30-2007, 10:28
In 1970 it was possible to purchase 1000 acres of "cut over" land for $1000 in central Maine. You then paid the taxes for 25 or 30 years, cut the wood and sold it for the same $1000 you paid for it. I saw lakefron property sold for $3.50 an acre if you bought a large parcel My father bought a run down cottage on one of the Belgrade Lakes for $700 in 1960. In the 1970's things went crazy, people discovered Maine and the cheap land. The land Wally is talking about is a price designed to lure an "out of State" purchaser. A lot that size can still be purchased in Maine for alot less than that but once a speculator like Muzzy gets it look out. They aren't making land anymore and todays prices reflect it but a careful byer can do much better than Muzzy's price.