PDA

View Full Version : another example of why to always have shelter.

Heater
11-20-2006, 10:51
Missing hiker. Last seen two days ago.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/111906cckrTopMissingSnowshoer.6ed9c21.html

Her friends should have gone back with her.

halftime
11-21-2006, 17:32
Missing hiker. Last seen two days ago.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/111906cckrTopMissingSnowshoer.6ed9c21.html

Her friends should have gone back with her.

Understand they found her. Anyone have an update?

Mags
11-21-2006, 17:45
When I do any winter activities, I ALWAYS pack a shovel. Can make an emergecy shelter that way. A Christmas tree storage bag is a great thing to bring around for winter emergencies. In the coming month, may be a good tine to snag one!

Cuffs
11-21-2006, 17:46
Wasnt there another hiker who disappeared back in July and still hasnt been found? John.... John Franklin, I think?

ed bell
11-21-2006, 17:50
Wasnt there another hiker who disappeared back in July and still hasnt been found? John.... John Franklin, I think?I believe his name was John Donovan, and they have recovered his body.

halftime
11-21-2006, 18:06
Understand they found her. Anyone have an update?

Did some searching and located the follow up story. She was found late Monday. Lucky she survived.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/stories/ktvbn-nov2006-missing_snowshoer2.b2b9421.html

ed bell
11-21-2006, 18:21
That's gonna give Thanksgiving a whole new meaning for her.:sun A very close brush with death.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2006, 19:09
So glad she was found alive. That was a really close brush with death.

Heater
11-21-2006, 19:48
Yeah, I wonder what she did to keep from hypothermia. They said it was freezing rain and she was unprepared. Very lucky. Said she had put in some good distance too. I hope they follow up on the story.

Brrrb Oregon
08-10-2007, 17:54
When I do any winter activities, I ALWAYS pack a shovel. Can make an emergecy shelter that way. A Christmas tree storage bag is a great thing to bring around for winter emergencies. In the coming month, may be a good tine to snag one!

Yeah, I wonder what she did to keep from hypothermia. They said it was freezing rain and she was unprepared. Very lucky. Said she had put in some good distance too. I hope they follow up on the story.

I'd say have a water-proof shelter that can be put up quickly and clothing that remains warm when wet, at least in the Cascades. There is nothing colder than rain on snow. If it is either exhaustion or injury that makes shelter a necessity, digging a snow cave might be beyond your capacity. When the jet stream shifts to bring in the weather from Hawaii instead of Alaska, the Cascades can go from 10 F to pouring down rain within a day or so. Of course, it can be doing one thing at Timberline Lodge on one side of Mt. Hood and something else altogether over by Cloud Cap on the other side, so the weather report for Government Camp is only going to be so helpful.

My brother is one of those much-despised snowmobilers who has found himself much-beloved on more than one occasion, when he has found an exhausted snow-shoer or Nordic skiier in need of a ride to the trailhead. It is not a bad idea for those who are at all unsure of their abilities to stay on or near the more well-travelled trails, even if you have to hear some engines during the course of the day to do it. You can't count on a snowmobile being there when you need one, but you can't count on not being happy to see one when you do, either.

Brrrr. How did I get onto this thread in August?

ed bell
08-10-2007, 18:32
Brrrr. How did I get onto this thread in August?Well, we hit an all-time high of 105 F today in Upstate SC, so I don't care how, I'm just glad to be thinking about cold weather.:) Thanks.:cool:

Mags
08-10-2007, 18:59
Well, we hit an all-time high of 105 F today in Upstate SC, so I don't care how, I'm just glad to be thinking about cold weather.:) Thanks.:cool:

Only 4 mos or so until you can get a Xmas tree storage bag!

Let's bring up summer threads then, too! :)

Brrrb Oregon
08-10-2007, 19:29
Well, we hit an all-time high of 105 F today in Upstate SC, so I don't care how, I'm just glad to be thinking about cold weather.:) Thanks.:cool:

Oh, ouch, and with humidity. Yes, think about soaking wet clothes in the freezing rain, by all means. You'll be as happy as a lizard on a sunny rock.