PDA

View Full Version : New Plan for 07 Thru

Lacbe
11-20-2006, 13:55
My mind became mush last night, with all the planning and figuring out what and where i was going to be on the trail. While burning my bounce box, along with the planning book and details, I came up with a new plan. Start walking sometime first part of March, heading north. Enjoy "EACH DAY" don't worry about that big mountain at the end of the trail, if i get there fine, if not, fine.Take my time, listen to my bodies needs, use common sense,enjoy nature, solitude and the people I meet. Take zero's when needed, take pictures,keep journal,maps and Wingfoots book. No bounce box, no mail drops ( 2 or 3 maybe), I'm not picky about foods. Sleep in tent ( my snoring might get me hurt in shelters). Learn as I go from more experience hikers. Plain and simple enjoy my time while walking, it will end sooner than i want. Have I gone from one extreme to the other side? No disrespect to those who enjoy planning but I was driving myself sick with all the planning. HYOH.

Lone Wolf
11-20-2006, 13:57
You're doing the right thing. So simple. Just walk.

Michele
11-20-2006, 14:04
I couldn't agree w/you more Lacbe. My most intense "planning" has been in regards to my gear and budget, and by the time I step off, all of that will be behind me. I'm with you....keep it simple and deal with whatever comes up when it happens.

Gaiter
11-20-2006, 14:31
sounds like a great plan

take pictures

don't forget to take pictures of the people you meet, not just the things/places you see.

Singe03
11-20-2006, 16:21
Sounds like a good plan Lacbe, I saw alot of obsessive planners about drive themselves crazy trying to keep up when schedules worked out in the comfort of their living rooms failed to match up well with trail realities. I can think of one or two who were so obsessive with planning that it actually caused depression when things didn't work out as planned and probabily ended their hike.

deadair
11-20-2006, 16:38
i like the sound of that

Stonewall
11-20-2006, 17:34
I am basically doing the same as you Lacbe, I figured out that I am going to be doing a SOBO in starting in mid June or July. Once my debt is paid off I’m off. I have been worrying about planning and logistics. But came to the conclusion that I can't plan anything a week in advance with daily life, how the heck am I going to be able to plan a 6 month journey. So I’m not going to plan. Ok maybe plan a few drop boxes but other than that re-supply in town.

I would like to end my hike on new years, and who knows maybe I will get convinced to do a yo-yo. We'll see.

tomman
11-20-2006, 23:21
I agree with you lacbe and with much of what others say. I started doing some planning and it about drove me up a tree. I then started reading trail Journals and decided to do just like you and take every day one at a time. As it was once said "Do not worry about tomorrow as there are enough to worry about today."

I will just plan for the gear I will take and adjust as I go slowly along.

Hope to see you out there./

Tomman AKA Cherokee Tom

maxNcathy
12-09-2006, 20:26
The one thing I am really thinking about is staying warm at night.

And I have given some thought too about being safe and warm and dry during a bone chilling three-day rain with lightning flashing and thunder crashing near my hat while intermittent gale force winds drive piercing golfball sized hailstones upon me body on a ridge made treacherously slick from freezing rain.

Wow, this hike is getting more exciting by the day. Just 100 days to go.

Peace,

Sandalwood

Blissful
12-09-2006, 22:41
My mind became mush last night, with all the planning and figuring out what and where i was going to be on the trail. While burning my bounce box, along with the planning book and details, I came up with a new plan. Start walking sometime first part of March, heading north. Enjoy "EACH DAY" don't worry about that big mountain at the end of the trail, if i get there fine, if not, fine.Take my time, listen to my bodies needs, use common sense,enjoy nature, solitude and the people I meet. Take zero's when needed, take pictures,keep journal,maps and Wingfoots book. No bounce box, no mail drops ( 2 or 3 maybe), I'm not picky about foods. Sleep in tent ( my snoring might get me hurt in shelters). Learn as I go from more experience hikers. Plain and simple enjoy my time while walking, it will end sooner than i want. Have I gone from one extreme to the other side? No disrespect to those who enjoy planning but I was driving myself sick with all the planning. HYOH.

Sure this might work for a solo hike, but when you are hiking with your child, like I am, or a loved one, there has to be some planning involved for safety and comfort reasons. I can't float on some cloud in the sky and just say - oh well, whatever. I am a planner anyway. I will plan as best I can with what I can do (for instance - food is important to us, esp when you are with a 16 yr old young man who has his tastes. Making sure we get some rest time in towns and what the different places provide. Making sure we are warm. And being a good steward of my money). Then take everything else as it comes. For me, the trick is not to go overboard one way or the other way but be sensible about things. And realize too what you can't control either and go with the flow - being adaptable.

Lacbe
12-10-2006, 00:39
Sure this might work for a solo hike, but when you are hiking with your child, like I am, or a loved one, there has to be some planning involved for safety and comfort reasons. I can't float on some cloud in the sky and just say - oh well, whatever. I am a planner anyway. I will plan as best I can with what I can do (for instance - food is important to us, esp when you are with a 16 yr old young man who has his tastes. Making sure we get some rest time in towns and what the different places provide. Making sure we are warm. And being a good steward of my money). Then take everything else as it comes. For me, the trick is not to go overboard one way or the other way but be sensible about things. And realize too what you can't control either and go with the flow - being adaptable.
I think it is fantastic that you will be hiking with your son, the memories that you make will last a life time. If I could take my grandson (who is five and loves to hike) I would have to do the same thing, but being alone I can take it day by day. Hope to see you both on the trail.

hammock engineer
12-10-2006, 02:09
I'm with you guys on this one. All my planning consists of saving as much as I can, getting my gear tested and together, and getting the guides and maps. After that it will all work out in the end.

warraghiyagey
12-10-2006, 03:06
Sounds like you have the consumate trail spirit. Just bring what you think you'll need and go.
SOBO June 7, '07.
Peace:)

spittinpigeon
12-20-2006, 03:38
Right on, just get some money and go. I like LOTS of money, cuz if you only have a little, that means more planning and deadlines. ;)

rafe
12-20-2006, 08:00
I'm as anal as the next guy. I spent about nine months planning my AT hike in 1990, and that was without benefit of the internet. All that planning didn't get me to K. The only thing that can get you to there is wanting to, with enough feeling to overcome the hardships. In terms of gear or trail knowledge or physical training, I was in good shape. But appparently, I didn't want it bad enough, back then.

The good news is, I never really gave up. Eventually (soon!) I will finish, even if not per the original plan. It's taken me longer than most to figure out how to make it fun. I think I may have finally figured it out. I'll let you know next September. ;)

mweinstone
12-20-2006, 08:34
spent my 16th year ingrossed in planning a thruhike . went to the library and copyed usgs maps per quad for the trail. made 27 mail boxes to send each with the best stuff. learned what equiptment is available by studying the entire spectrum in detailed super detail. i had plans for planning new planning plans. i had 4 lbs of books i was hikin wit! now ill be 46 in march(4th!) and after years of hiking, my method is absolutly no planning. i need 5 days to throw together a thru and launch. i carry no map, no hard canteen, never got a mail drop in my life, dont know the names of where ive been or the states in some cases. each day starts with walking and ends with walking. getting food hapens. follow the crowd if you need directions, there allways going to food and bed.you will make it. you sound like a young ms. im all in if you launch. im a little worried for your launch . just nike it! (do)

mrc237
12-20-2006, 09:11
Sounds like the E-Z plan, which is no plan at all. Like Victory says "Just do it'' GOOD LUCK!!!

Lacbe
12-20-2006, 09:40
Sounds like the E-Z plan, which is no plan at all. Like Victory says "Just do it'' GOOD LUCK!!!
Yea, since i quit planning where to be and when, I have enjoyed finishing my gear list. I just ordered my maps from ATC, can't wait to lay them all out on the floor and walk the whole trail in my living room, also ordered my Squall 2 tent, when it shows up will be in the back yard with grandkids for a sleep over. Got my camera Canon A540 and MP3 player 75 hrs on 1 AA battery. The enjoyment of thinking about my thru next year has come back and I feel like a kid waiting for the icecream truck to come around the corner. March 10 first step begins.

Footslogger
12-20-2006, 10:08
[quote=Lacbe;274166]My mind became mush last night, with all the planning and figuring out what and where i was going to be on the trail. While burning my bounce box, along with the planning book and details, I came up with a new plan. Start walking sometime first part of March, heading north. Enjoy "EACH DAY" don't worry about that big mountain at the end of the trail, if i get there fine, if not, fine.
===================================

You can PLAN and still enjoy each day, not worrying about that "big mountain at the end of the trail".

Chances are that if you already went through all that information you collected (and burned) that you have done planing at some level. That said ...you can only live it one day at a time so why NOT hike it that way !!

Enjoy your hike ...

'Slogger

Boat Drinks
12-20-2006, 12:04

You and I are on the same page. I get too anxious with the logistical planning. Then I think to myself, I am doing this to GET AWAY from logistical planning, I want to be free of that and to be able to walk when I want to, sleep when I want, etc. I keep saying to myself, "Shut Up and WALK" :sun

Lacbe
12-20-2006, 17:36
[quote=Lacbe;274166]My mind became mush last night, with all the planning and figuring out what and where i was going to be on the trail. While burning my bounce box, along with the planning book and details, I came up with a new plan. Start walking sometime first part of March, heading north. Enjoy "EACH DAY" don't worry about that big mountain at the end of the trail, if i get there fine, if not, fine.
===================================

You can PLAN and still enjoy each day, not worrying about that "big mountain at the end of the trail".

Chances are that if you already went through all that information you collected (and burned) that you have done planing at some level. That said ...you can only live it one day at a time so why NOT hike it that way !!

Enjoy your hike ...

'Slogger
Slogger your right, I'v been planning off and on the last few years, but was forced into retirement early, so I joined WB the day I retired and started going into detail planning. The people here are great and have so much knowledge that I was able to find all I need here. So I can enjoy every day no matter what comes up. PS just bragging But I also quit smoking (after 35 yrs) the day I retired-- still smoke free-- need to be able to climb them hills. LOL

Dawn
12-23-2006, 15:23
PS just bragging But I also quit smoking (after 35 yrs) the day I retired-- still smoke free

Congratulations!! That's really great!

I have done a lot of planning, but I love to plan. My friends call me "the planner", a name given to me by a hiking friend but it fits in all parts of my life. Although, I am not planning on where to be when; that I will take as it comes. I did one pass at an itinerary just to get a feel for it, but I have no intention of following it or even bringing it with me. I also am not doing mail drops other than swapping out gear for warmer weather, maps, and stuff like that. My planning has been around gear, what to do with my personal stuff, bills, reading on net, talking to past thru hikers... I can't help but think about it all the time. I can't wait!!

Lacbe
12-29-2006, 13:44
Well since I have found out I have 2 hernias my plans will change just alittle bit . I will have surgery Jan 17th and the doc says go for it a little bit later in March. No problem with training just go slower. hope to see you all soon.