PDA

View Full Version : Miss Janet's Thankgiving in Erwin...

Miss Janet
11-20-2006, 14:03
4 more cooking days til Thanksgiving!

We are all in the "war room" today putting the finishing touches on the shopping list for Thursdays menu. I have Crispy, JJ, Pacer and That Guy all helping right now and more help arriving tomorrow and Wednesday. I have also heard that I have some exciting guests coming... I think I will call the newspapers and the local tv stations and tell them to come do interviews! This could be interesting.... Maybe Jerry Springer would be more appropriate?? You know how it is when we get this crazy "family" together!

We are expecting 30 or more and I really hope to see some of you WB people.
Just bring something yummy to contribute to the table and a load of hugs and lots of extra smiles. Let me know if you are coming and from which direction. We have a few hikers out on the trail that we would really like to get here for the day. We plan to eat about 2:00. There will be some room here at the house for people to stay over and the hotels will let us share some rooms if we need to. So plan to come and eat and hang out for a while. WE can all tell Baltimore Jack Tales.

MarcnNJ
11-20-2006, 14:38
Will the festivities last through the weekend? Or are most people leaving on Friday?

Miss Janet
11-21-2006, 02:47
I am sure that there will be several people around for a few days. There will be a few people actually HIKING in the area! I will be slacking some people and you are welcome to join them. Thursday night is free for as many as we can find a bed for.

MedicineMan
11-21-2006, 03:03
and am available to shuttle anywhere from Damascus to Devils Fork Gap.

Wanderingson
11-21-2006, 09:38
Miss Janet,

Please make sure that you take plenty of pics of your special visitors. I know one of them has become a popular attraction around here.

May each of you have a blessed Thanksgiving Day and remember the troops serving to give us the opportunity to be grateful for things such as getting out on the trail.

minnesotasmith
11-21-2006, 14:45
It will be great to see you and others in the family of hikers again.

BTW, I have a couple of ideas of cookable contributions that would be simple and high-acceptance.

Grampie
11-22-2006, 12:29
Miss Janet,
Have a very "Happy Thanksgiving." What you do for many is a good reason to give thanks.:)

Brushy Sage
11-24-2006, 22:42
So who is going to report on this gathering? Even little trickles of information will be interesting.

Lone Wolf
11-24-2006, 22:49
I was just hanging out with Minnesotasmith and Starlyte a few minutes ago and they reported the gathering was awesome. TONS of chow and fellowship. Typical Miss Janet function.

MedicineMan
11-25-2006, 00:26
Like most AT gatherings it was a family affair with most talking about the trail; past, present, and future experiences. There were mutiple thru's represented, current thru's, wannabes, neverbes, trail supporters, hiker supporters, day hikers, and section hikers and family members of all of types mentioned. Dogs were well represented and I didn't hear a fight between them or the humans.
The weather was wonderful (2 years in a row), the food beyond the imagination in quality and quantity. This year the dinner was served in the fellowship hall across the street from Miss Janets-I think she arranged that planning for bad weather but the reality as alluded to above was around 62F in the sun, no wind and full sun (still rather cool in the shade).
I got to meet the famous MS and heard several of his tales, heard his take on the gear he liked and didn't like. I also met 4 southbounders, 2 beyond my home area (Roan) and 2 near Bland....all were loving their hike, weren't fazed by the dips in temperature and recent snows.
The only negative of the entire experience was this electronic fish near the junction of Miss J's sidewalk and the cities sidewalk, every time you got near it would start up a corny ass song.
I tried to pay attention to Mala's efforts on the turkey, that is a sweet way to prepare it and the result is awesome. I cant eat the white meat but enjoyed a whopper leg.
Right before eating Miss J played a recording, the message of which is the theme for next years TD, bottom line is that the people make the trail!
Much thanks to Miss J for inviting me!

emerald
11-25-2006, 13:13
I can't eat the white meat but enjoyed a whopper leg.

I always thought it best to focus on the legs, whether training or dining. I see you seem to agree. Is it your medical training or your taste buds that dicatate that course of action?

Crash! Bang!
11-25-2006, 13:31
ms janet you are awesome. i hope to make it to a future t-day dinner eventually

MedicineMan
11-25-2006, 13:53
white meat gives me a tyramine reaction that is almost anaphylactic, i eat teh white meat and the throat starts closing down....no problem with the dark meat...

emerald
11-25-2006, 14:57
white meat gives me a tyramine reaction that is almost anaphylactic, i eat teh white meat and the throat starts closing down....no problem with the dark meat...

Oh, I was afraid your preference may have something to do with The Doctrine of Signatures!:eek: ;)

StarLyte
11-30-2006, 18:06
Hello Friends......

I have posted 94 photos from the 10 day road trip I took this month. Many folks you'll recognize. Good times---good people. The main agenda was spending Thanksgiving at Janet's.

I will be posting most of these photos here at Whiteblaze within the next few days.

Click here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/)

MedicineMan
11-30-2006, 22:40
makes me feel like I was there :)

Trillium
12-01-2006, 01:48
Hello Friends......

I have posted 94 photos from the 10 day road trip I took this month. Many folks you'll recognize. Good times---good people. The main agenda was spending Thanksgiving at Janet's.

I will be posting most of these photos here at Whiteblaze within the next few days.

Click here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/)awesome pics; enjoyed viewing them, especially of Lydia, what a sweetie. :)