PDA

View Full Version : How much material?

DrewNC2005
11-20-2006, 15:18
As I mentioned on another thread, I was fortunate enough to run across 30 yds of silnylon at Wal-Mart. I really want to make a poncho-tarp as my first real project.

For those of you who have made poncho-tarps, what dimensions are yours and what dimensions do you recommend from your experience? Additionally, how much silnylon (in yardage) did it take to make yours? Finally, what sort of thread did you use and what do you recommend?

jesse
11-20-2006, 15:30
I would reccommend purchasing the pattern from Quest Outfitters. http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-jackets.htm
cost is only $5.50, probbably cheaper than trial and error. Their backpacker version calls for 3.5 yards (60") material.

DrewNC2005
11-20-2006, 15:53
Jessebrent,

Thanks for the tip. But...I'm interested in making the poncho so that it would double as a tarp as well. It would have to be over 6'0'' given that I am that height. That said, I don't think 60'' of material will work - 72'' is six feet. I could use the pattern and simply make it longer - I might do that.

I probably should have clarified the question. I would probably want the poncho tarp to be at least 8 feet so that it would sufficiently cover me in tarp mode. But, some suggest more coverage and thus larger dimensions.

I'm just trying to get feedback from those who have made poncho tarps that are in the 8' X 5' range and larger (both longer and wider) and my true inquiry is would you make it that way again?

jesse
11-20-2006, 16:58
sorry, I sholud have read your post closer. I just recently made the RAy-Way tarp and am in the process of making the Quest poncho. I chose to make these two different items because
1. They both are so light, there would, IMO, be no significant weight savings.
2. I can leave my poncho on while I set up and take down the tarp, in the rain. Most important, keeping my backpack dry.
3. I thought that a homemade poncho-tarp would not make a very good tarp or a very good poncho.
anyway just my opinion. good luck

reh1966
11-20-2006, 17:24
I don't know about the patterns but everything I have read mentions the Guttermans (?sp) polyester thread. I found mine at JoAnns fabric for about $5.00.

mike!
11-20-2006, 18:07
im in the process of making mine (cut the nylon a few days ago) but slacking with the sewing. I to made mine 8 feet long, and i have mine tapered from 68" to 56" (off the top of my head) i tapered it because the extra height when in tarp mode is nice. I had it easy with owareusa.com's 72" silnylon so i dont have to worry about a ridgeline. i've tried a few 2mil drop cloth prototypes before i went with the real deal. also Roy Robinson has plans for a poncho on his site (google it)
good luck!
mike!