PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Triconi-Your opinion?

dave1993
11-20-2006, 17:22
I was recently fitted for a 3800 Gregory Triconi and I like it. I wont pay REI money for it though and found decent deals online. what are your opinions of this pack? Im new to backpacking and wanted something that I could grow into for eventual trips up to around 4 days. Thanks

Gaiter
11-20-2006, 17:53
i have a women's similar version, the deva 60, i love it, great suspenion system, i'm comfortable w/ carring 35-40lbs w/ it. i meet another hiker who had the deva 60 as well and she carried 50+lbs w/ it, and didn't mind it (she had gear for year round traveling).

also if you plan on straping anything like a pad or tent on the back, don't get a gregory rain cover, go w/ a mtn hardware one.

Appalachian Tater
11-20-2006, 18:28
It weighs twice as much as it should. You could easily get a pack the same size that weighs two pounds less.

dave1993
11-20-2006, 19:20
Suggestions? I am a 19.5 by the way.

Egads
11-20-2006, 20:29
I have a Gregory's Baltoro which is one size larger than the Triconi.

Appalachian Tater is right, it's on the heavy side. However, Gregory packs have good suspension & can carry a load. I use mine for winter & have a smaller, lighter pack for 3 seasons.

Egads

DrewNC2005
11-20-2006, 23:40
Probably a biased opinion, but I would also recommend something lighter. However, I can't stand by that recommendation without knowing what other kind of gear you carry. If you are carrying 35+ lbs., you might need something with this sort of "beefy" suspension. If you aren't and you have pared down your gear list to fairly lightweight parcels, this is too heavy. Suggestions, the ULA Circuit or Catalyst (depending on how much room you need), Granite Gear Vapor Trail or Nimbus Latitude/Ozone, and maybe one of the new packs from Golite that will come out in January. They have a larger version of the Jam that looks promising.

Newb
03-18-2008, 09:45
Bah....I just spent a day at REI trying on everything. I finally settled on the Gregory Baltoro. It works best for me.
I liked the Osprey packs, especially the waist belts...but I'll be danged if that Baltoro isn't just the bees knees loaded with 32 pounds...