PDA

View Full Version : When should I start my SOBO?

Stonewall
11-20-2006, 21:03
So I desided that with all things considered that I the best oppertunity for me to go is doing a SOBO. Now the question is When? I think it would be cool to summit Springer on the 31 and Celebrate the First of the new year there. So I should probably head out around June. But i was also thinking of July would be better, as to not be eatin alive by flies. Any comments or suggestions between one month or the other? Who knows If i have any money left over I may just turn around and start walking back the other way. God I wish.

TJ aka Teej
11-20-2006, 22:37
Hi SkyTop,
Be sure to check out the sobo forum. July sure would put you past the worst of the blackflies and skeeters up here, but I think hiking in Maine's pretty darn nice in late May/early June. Yeah, there'll be bugs, bring a headnet, tent, and deet.
Have fun!

map man
11-20-2006, 23:51
If you left in June you would be allowing between six and seven months to get to Springer if you wanted to end on Dec. 31. But the "average" completing thru-hiker takes a little less time than that -- somewhat less than six months seems to be typical. So, without knowing anything about YOUR likely hiking speed, generic advice on when to leave Katahdin to get to Springer Dec. 31 would be July, which is when it sounds like you would prefer to go anyway. Good luck!

Stonewall
11-21-2006, 00:16
Yeah I couldn't really tell you my hiking speed as well. lol but I know I am good at procrastinating (sp)

Johnny Swank
11-21-2006, 01:28
I started on July 1, took a ton of zeros, and still ended up finishing on 1/11/. If I were to go SOBO again, I'd start 6/15, to at least have a few folks around to hike with if I wanted. You can always sandbag it if you're getting ahead of schedule.

Those southern mountains get damn cold though after awhile.

khaynie
11-21-2006, 07:12
If you want to finish on 12/31/07, then I would recommend you start in early/mid July. That gives you gives you close to six months and less bugs and heat to hike in. If I do another SOBO, I'll probably start around then, or perhaps even later...

Good luck in your planning.

Jaybird
11-21-2006, 07:40
So I desided that with all things considered that I the best oppertunity for me to go is doing a SOBO. Now the question is When? ...............................................

most thru-hikers average out @ 12 miles per day/6 months to complete the entire trail.

with that considered....July 1st would be your 6month start point to finish @ Spring in late December for a New Years Celebration.

Good Luck with your hike!:D

warraghiyagey
12-08-2006, 02:25
I can't help feeling as though I saw 'skytoproberts' entries in some of the registers in Maine, NH, and Vermont. Were you on the trail this year?
Anyway, Jaybirds numbers look right on target. Personally, I'm too much of a wuss to consider the southern mountains in November and December so I'm planning to leave Katahdin the first week of June and hopefully follow the autumn color through the southern states and see Springer around Halloween.
But I've heard great stories about 'Springering' in the new year (actually I think I just made that word up) but I think I'd like to be in a group of people that gather at Springer on New Years Eve. Seems they have the right idea about something.
Have a great hike.
Peace

Stonewall
12-08-2006, 11:12
I can't say that I was up there this year.... Hmm. I have a date set of the weekend of June 15. My cousin's wedding on the 15th in Massachusetts and my uncle offered to give me a ride up to Maine once they leave. So I can't turn down a free ride. So unless something deters terribly that will be when I am leaving.:D