PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon Ground Cover.

tomman
11-20-2006, 23:10
:-? I once got an email from a person who builds hiking equipment and tents. He said he could build me a silnylon ground cover for my tent. I have lost this information.

Can any one here on the net tell me of some place that I can get this type ground cover made?

Thanks,
tomman:rolleyes:

Just Jeff
11-20-2006, 23:45
Go to Walmart, get 2-3 yards of $1/yd silnylon. Don't even need to hem it for a ground cover.

Otherwise, here are a few groundcloths:
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/xdpy/s/Shelter/index.html

Cuffs
11-21-2006, 10:17
[quote=Just Jeff;274556]Go to Walmart, get 2-3 yards of $1/yd silnylon. Don't even need to hem it for a ground cover.

I did just that! The only difference is, I did hem it to the size of my tent, then I hammered in the little grommet holes into the corners to keep it in place. I later learned that this was not needed and only caused extra weight...

camper10469
11-21-2006, 21:31
I don't think you'd be very happy with a silnylon ground cloth, it's not waterproof. Any preasure will cause water to seep right through the pores.

I made a water sack and hung it on a nail for over 2 weeks and not a drop came through but when I closed the top of the sack and forced the water, preasurizing the bag, it leaked like through tiny pore holes.

Also that ground cloth will be very slippery under your tent. If you pitch it on an incline, it's slide right off.

TDale
11-21-2006, 22:09
I don't think you'd be very happy with a silnylon ground cloth, it's not waterproof. Any preasure will cause water to seep right through the pores.

I made a water sack and hung it on a nail for over 2 weeks and not a drop came through but when I closed the top of the sack and forced the water, preasurizing the bag, it leaked like through tiny pore holes.

Also that ground cloth will be very slippery under your tent. If you pitch it on an incline, it's slide right off.

Completely right.

Amigi'sLastStand
11-22-2006, 08:08
Use a piece of Tyvek. Nothing better as a ground cloth.

tha
11-23-2006, 18:58
Use a piece of Tyvek. Nothing better as a ground cloth.

Agree completely. I just acquired a nice piece of Tyvek from a house remodeling site. The workers are usually more than happy to give you what you need if you are polite about it.

My question is: since my new tent has a bathtub floor, how big do I cut the Tyvek? Just bigger, or just smaller than the tent footprint? I have always gone just smaller in the past to avoid the the stakes.

Thanks.

tomman
11-24-2006, 01:08
:-? I want to thank everyone for your answers. I am beginning to believe that tyvek may be the best answer. I will check around here to see what I can find.

Tha I have read that you should always make the ground cover about 1 inch less that your tent measurements all the way around. Otherwise you can wake up in a lake as the rain will get in between the ground cover and the tent.

I will have to check what the ground cover made of tyvek will weight. The ground sheet for my tent only weighs about 6 oz.

Tom

eric_plano
11-24-2006, 01:21
Hey Tom,

What tent do you have? I have some tyvek I used under my tarptent Squall but since I am using the hammock now, I do not need it. If it is the right size it is yours! :) It is 4.8oz.

stumpy
11-24-2006, 01:41
I just bought a cheap hammock to try out next spring and it does not have a tarp to cover it. Would it be possable to make a tarp out of the tyvek? Or is that just not a good idea?

unl1988
11-24-2006, 08:42
Yup, works great. Buddy of mine lent me his, got great coverage and it was pretty light. He doubled over the edges, put some tyvek tape along the seem and put grommets in the corner.

stumpy
11-24-2006, 11:20
Thanks, I will order some off e-bay this week!