PDA

View Full Version : It is a sad day for me....

EZ4300
11-20-2006, 23:36
...because I have to accept the fact that I will not be able to hike in 2007 like i wanted to. I am very upset, and have been trying to keep up my hope, but it is not possible with my current situation. Hopefully I will be able to sooner rather than later, because I still know I will be a thru-hiker one day.

I wanted to tell everyone out there to have a safe and fun hike, and though I never met anyone, I will miss you. I hope to live near the trail after I finish college (3 weeks - yay!). So, I hope to meet you during your trips. If I do end up on near the trail, I will let everyone know so I will be able to help anyway possible.

Best of luck!!

Frosty
11-20-2006, 23:40
Bummer. Believe me, I know how it feels. But you're young - there'll be plenty of opportunites. Godd luck!

Spirit Walker
11-21-2006, 01:25
It is hard to have to wait when you don't want to, but sometimes other priorities have to come first. Keep hiking as much as you can. There is a lot of world to explore. If you retain the desire to hike the AT, you'll get there. It just may take a while. But it will be all the sweeter for the waiting.

Nean
11-21-2006, 01:40
Just remember, the trail isn't going anywhere.

But I know what you mean.;) It hasn't worked out for me these last few years as far as hiking but it has been an adventure none the less. :)

Enjoy each day for what it is and set a new goal for the future. Hope to see you out there :sun ('cause that would mean I was out there):D

Gaiter
11-21-2006, 03:42
don't worry, you'll find the right time to do it, you'll know it

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2006, 05:53
EZ, you are young and the trail isn't going anywhere. However, your life is going places and you are the one in charge of making sure that where it goes fits your beliefs and values. As someone with grandchildren older than you, I can tell you when you look bad at your life it won't be the carreer goals you met or the size of your bank account that will give you joy all the way to your toes. It will be the memories of time spent doing things you love, time spent with people you love and the times you challenged yourself to do great things.

Jaybird
11-21-2006, 07:07
...because I have to accept the fact that I will not be able to hike in 2007 like i wanted to. I am very upset, and have been trying to keep up my hope,...................etc,etc,etc,.............. .....

the TRAIL ain't goin' NOWHERE!

i know it's disappointing...but,....buck up young hiker....you'll make it!:D

wilderness bob
11-21-2006, 07:51
EZ4300,

I am sorry to hear that you have to wait till you start your thru-hike. It does give you opportunities that only waiting can give you. Here are some things that I wish someone told me about while I was waiting myself.

Save more money, test out more equipment, provide trail magic "somewhere", attend some hiker gatherings, become closer to the hiker family and most of all when you do get going you will appreciate each step all the more (trust me on that one).

I waited 24 years (non-trail life and the career came first). When I finally did get to go I swear I had a smile on my face almost every day. The plus side? Over those years of waiting the equipment got lighter, the quality of that equipment got better and developed to what it is today . Hold off on any large equipment purchases if you can until you get closer to your departure date. What may be the latest and best thing today will possibly be out dated or to heavy tomorrow.

Peace, WB

Lone Wolf
11-21-2006, 07:59
You're 22. It ain't the end of the world.

Blissful
11-21-2006, 09:58
I've waited thirty years. Got my degree. Got my job. Got married. Raised my son. Now the time is here. :)

Like everyone has suggested, just keep on hiking until your time comes.

neo
11-21-2006, 11:11
...because I have to accept the fact that I will not be able to hike in 2007 like i wanted to. I am very upset, and have been trying to keep up my hope, but it is not possible with my current situation. Hopefully I will be able to sooner rather than later, because I still know I will be a thru-hiker one day.

I wanted to tell everyone out there to have a safe and fun hike, and though I never met anyone, I will miss you. I hope to live near the trail after I finish college (3 weeks - yay!). So, I hope to meet you during your trips. If I do end up on near the trail, I will let everyone know so I will be able to help anyway possible.

Best of luck!!

bummer,i may not get to hike this year myself from 2001 to 2006 i have section hiked the AT from springer mountain to pinkham notch,1842 miles down 342 miles to go,i am getting custody of my boys in a few months
and my oldest son is a real problem i will be 48 this week and i am not getting any younger,you are young enough,hang in there :cool: neo

Mags
11-21-2006, 13:01
Know the feeling. I had to delay my thru-hike of another trail for two years.

You know what though? Had a blast when I finally went on the trail. Was able to do a smaller "regional" trail end-to-end hike and enjoyed myself as well.

The trail is not going anywhere. Enjoy your weekends, enjoy the day hikes. If you can swing the time, have you thought of doing the Long Trail? A great "AT in miniature" experience. Get a long hike experience in a gorgeous area.

It will also be a good shake down for when you are able to actually do the
AT!

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=2

EarthJourney
11-21-2006, 13:53
Sorry to hear it EZ4300. I can appreciate your pain. My '07 hike was in full gear in early 06. Then - it started to fad a little. Still, like you, I held on to it w/the tenacity of a pit-bull. But it was to no avail. The '07 hike isn't going to happen for me. I came to the ugly conclusion ~August/September. And '08 ain't lookin' too good either.

I'm now looking at '09 or '10. Not sure how realistic that will be either. Without going into all my dirty laundry - let's just say my dream is to walk the AT, my wife's dream is to keep me working until they're throwing dirt on me (let that be a lesson to you!!!!)!

Cherokee Bill
11-21-2006, 18:24
:D Maybe not in "07" but soon, you are YOUNG, you have time!

Take me, I've been waiting for more years than you are old. You know, wife, family, house, kids college, etc.

Well at 60 I am retiring at 66. So six-years from now, I'll be part of the "Class of 2013" :banana

See you on the trail:welcome ;)

blindeye
11-21-2006, 20:34
hey man i'm 50 i wanted to do a 2007 SOBO also can't do it either. relax you have an eternity, i'll try in 2008! GOOD LUCK!!!!

WhoAh
11-21-2006, 21:16
MAJOR bummer, EZ. But like the others have said, the Trail isn't going anywhere and will be there when you are ready. Hopefully we will see you out on the Trail next year.

Trillium
11-21-2006, 23:56
:D Maybe not in "07" but soon, you are YOUNG, you have time!

Take me, I've been waiting for more years than you are old. You know, wife, family, house, kids college, etc.

Well at 60 I am retiring at 66. So six-years from now, I'll be part of the "Class of 2013" :banana

See you on the trail:welcome ;)it's looking like I will be part of the Class of 2013 as well. can't wait; see you on the trail billyboy!

emerald
11-22-2006, 00:21
It's not essential to thru-hike to enjoy hiking. Start by piecing together sections of the A.T. by day-hiking them. For many people, that is the most practical way to become a 2000 Miler, and there is nothing second-rate about going that route.

You can also join an A.T. maintaining club, find one or more thru-hikes to follow on trailjournals.com or help a thru-hiker live out his or her dream like Matthewski did and is doing today.

I had a blast in 2006 and I didn't thru-hike, but I did meet and spend time with several thru-hikers, hiked with BMECC and Lord only knows how much time I spent here.

It's not the end of the world. Find something you can do and get busy!