PDA

View Full Version : Sorry I was gone so long.....

frieden
11-21-2006, 02:50
(posted in another thread, as well)

Wow, I'm gone for a couple of months, and you kids set to bickering already!

This is a dog hiking forum, designed to promote responsible hiking practices with your dog - not a place for the tired debate of dogs do or do not belong on the trail. There will be no talk of violence against dogs or their handlers, shielded by a smirk or not.

For the people trying to use this forum for what it was designed for, I'm sorry that I was gone for so long.

Ed and I are still hiking, whenever we get a chance, but I don't think I'll be able to do the AT with him. He just had a PennHip Xray, and it's bad. We'll get the official results in a couple of weeks. This will limit his time as a working dog too, and I'm just in shock. He's been my partner for over 2 years, now. I found a special animal clinic in San Diego that might be able to help. I'll let you know how he's doing.

We're going to try to take a short holiday in CO in a couple of weeks. We've been working non-stop, and could use the break. I look at the pictures of the FL Gathering to keep me sane. Our tent went kaplooee in the move, but we needed a new one, anyway. Hopefully, Amigi, you got yours sealed! Hehehe....

How is everyone else doing with their pooch?

Rouen
11-21-2006, 03:29
how old is Ed now?

one of mine was having stomach troubles but it seems to have passed I believe it was due to her playing with a brush art cat, the vet couldn't figure it out.

I believe all the nasty dog comments were made before the other thread was moved, since there is talk of it being in the Class of 2007 forum.

good luck with Ed and the vets.

Gaiter
11-21-2006, 03:39
one of my rm mates has an occasional/rare girl (he is completely whipped by her despite the fact that she sees him once every 3-4 months) thats allergic to dogs, so he got my other rm mates to be against my dog coming back to my house, so now coco is staying w/ my parents, i feel like my better half is missing, she is a huge part of me especially after we spent a month on the trail together. i'm lost

and no the nasty dog comments weren't made before the dog section was created, so many people are against dogs being on the trail, and from my experience, as much as i love my dog and as good of a trail dog she is (lil'red can varify), i wouldn't have a dog on the trail for more than a month.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2006, 05:44
{{{ Frieden }}} Not a dog person, but do understand that when our animal 'kids' are sick or injured, it hurts. Keep us posted on Ed's health and I'll be praying praying for him.

Two Speed
11-21-2006, 06:51
How is everyone else doing with their pooch?Barney's being a more that a little goofy, which means he's happy and healthy.

My condolences about Ed. I hope that works out for you.

Gray Blazer
11-21-2006, 08:36
Hi Frieden, I missed you. Sorry to hear about Ed. Give him a hug for me. I haven't seen Amigi on here lately. I'll email him and see what's up. Maybe he moved?

Nean
11-21-2006, 09:55
Glad I missed the nasty stuff, besides, I've seen it all before.
Hope Ed is ok.
As for are dogs. Spook has chronic, not kennel, cough. 15yrs old.
Cuervo, Azlan, Deeohgee, Little girl, Naia, Anu, Loki and Esky are all doing well -thanks!:)

DawnTreader
11-21-2006, 15:07
my dog just pissed on the christmas village

the goat
11-21-2006, 15:39
my dog just pissed on the christmas village

maybe he was trying to tell you that it's not even thanksgiving yet & christmas villages should still be in the attic.:D

frieden
11-21-2006, 23:26
Thanks for all the well wishes for Ed. I'm glad everyone is doing well. Yes, the Christmas village is not hiking gear, and therefore fair game. ;) Ed is 2 and 1/2 now, so he is still a puppy. I can't even imagine being without him!

SGT Rock
11-22-2006, 03:40
I missed it, what exactly is wrong with Ed?

And we have a Barney over here, the camp hound dog. Good looking dog that welcomes patrols in and lays around the front porch. He also seems to be able to hear morar rounds before they hit.

Amigi'sLastStand
11-22-2006, 08:00
Hey Darling. I've been gone too. Still am at that, but found a faster ( still snails pace, though ) internet connection to use.

I am really sorry to hear about Ed. For those of you that havent met frieden and Ed, they are a team in the truest of senses, and Ed is one damn good dog. frieden isn't too bad for a human either!

Keep us up on his status. Will keep in touch when I get back.

berninbush
11-22-2006, 10:41
Frieden, is it a hip problem? My dog had hip surgery, and did pretty well with it. (She's rather elderly, though, and wouldn't be capable of a thru-hike I don't think.)

Two Speed
11-22-2006, 10:53
. . . And we have a Barney over here, the camp hound dog. Good looking dog that welcomes patrols in and lays around the front porch. He also seems to be able to hear morar rounds before they hit.Well, most dogs named "Barney" are good camp dogs, but one that gives you a "heads up" on incoming rounds, besides giving you a warm welcome home? You just can't beat that.

frieden
12-01-2006, 03:01
We don't have the official results from the hip xray back yet, but just by looking at them they aren't good. He doesn't like to sit down, but I'm trying to keep him active.

Ed saved my tail, yesterday. I was getting ready for work, but Ed kept sitting me down, and then sitting on me! :eek: He looked at me all worried, and was sniffing my head. Finally, I called in to work, but told them that I would probably be in that afternoon. I felt fine, but Ed wouldn't let up. First, I tried to walk through the sliding glass door. Then, my daughter said that I yelled at Ed to get out of the kitchen, but it wasn't him in the kitchen, it was her! I didn't know that I had said anything. I don't remember yesterday much at all. I'm still a little woozy today, and Ed hasn't left my side, but I'm glad I didn't try to drive yesterday.

Amigi, ya on vacation? Sweet. Ah, the joys of dial-up.....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 05:14
Frieden, please go to see your doctor. What you describe could be nothing or it could be quite serious.

Gray Blazer
12-01-2006, 08:43
Frieden, please go to see your doctor. What you describe could be nothing or it could be quite serious.Thank God for Ed. That's why he's there, to help Friedan. BTW, I still have your beers, Friedan. I am keeping them chilled for the next time I see you.

frieden
12-03-2006, 01:47
Frieden, please go to see your doctor. What you describe could be nothing or it could be quite serious.

Thank you for your concern. Normally, I do not go to the hospital, because there is nothing they can do, but I did go a couple of months ago. I had some new symptoms, and lot of blood running down my throat, so I went to the ER. My mom had a brain tumor about this age, so the doctor wanted to make sure there was nothing new going on. There wasn't, so he told me to continue to "ride it out" at home. I'm so grateful for Ed. He takes care of me, and keeps me safe. Unless I'm having a problem, he is such a goof-ball, but he is always mindful of how I am.

My family used to roll their eyes at the fact that I had a service dog, like it was just an excuse to have a pet with me all the time. Since I've been living with my daughter, she's been able to see how helpful he is. She uses him now, too. We were shopping today, and she got stuck on the floor (9 months pregnant, you know). She said "Ed", and held her hand out. Because he helps me up all the time, he knew what she wanted, so he walked underneath her hand, and stood while she used him as leverage. If I grab the handle on his vest, he knows to move forward a little to help me up.

frieden
12-03-2006, 01:49
Thank God for Ed. That's why he's there, to help Friedan. BTW, I still have your beers, Friedan. I am keeping them chilled for the next time I see you.

Hehehehe.....Goodness, you should probably give the beers to some exhausted and deserving hiker. :)