PDA

View Full Version : Dealings with SteepandCheap

Cuffs
11-21-2006, 10:34
I am sure many of you have dealt with them, but what is your opinion of them? Are they quick to ship? Are the products they offer first quality or seconds/refurbs? How is customer service when dealing with returns?

Thanks for your input!

DrewNC2005
11-21-2006, 10:39
I have had only one dealing with SAC - I ordered an Insul-Mat Max Thermo. It came in the original box wrapped in plastic and obviously first quality. I have not had to return anything so I can't comment on that.

DrewNC2005
11-21-2006, 10:39
Oh yeah, the shipping was quick, too!

trippclark
11-21-2006, 10:46
I am sure many of you have dealt with them, but what is your opinion of them? Are they quick to ship? Are the products they offer first quality or seconds/refurbs? How is customer service when dealing with returns?

Thanks for your input!

One purchase; quick ship. First quality and no returns necessary. Quite pleased.

sirbingo
11-21-2006, 10:51
I have had only one dealing with SAC - I ordered an Insul-Mat Max Thermo. It came in the original box wrapped in plastic and obviously first quality. I have not had to return anything so I can't comment on that.

My only purchase was also the Insul-Mat Max Thermo.

It was brand new in original packaging and it was shipped FAST...

So with my one purchase I would give them a thumbs up

Sly
11-21-2006, 10:55
I've had good service. Over the phone I was able to change an order before it was shipped. The last items I ordered have taken 11 days to be delievered which is scheduled for today, but apparently spent the last 3 days at a UPS facility. Other orders have taken 4 and 6 days.

On the SAC "ME" page which holds your account info, there a return option which looks straight forward and will issue a RMA number.

Ewker
11-21-2006, 10:57
I have bought lots of items from them. No problems what so ever. Just buy it AlHikerGal and quit worrying ;)

Tabasco
11-21-2006, 10:59
Bought 2 Xenix headlamps, shipped very quickly and with zero problems.

TN_Hiker
11-21-2006, 11:06
Only one purchase.....a lifejacket; first quality still in the packaging, prompt shipment. I agree w/ Ewker....buy it with confidence.

Cuffs
11-21-2006, 11:10
Well, too late to back out now! I just ordered the Osprey Atmos packs they had listed this morning!

Thanks for feeding my "need to know" fit!

bigcranky
11-21-2006, 11:17
Yeah, the Atmos is a great deal. Dragonfly just got a Smartwool top -- great piece, and less than $30. I love SAC.

note: see sacattack.com for more information than you would ever want on SAC.

PJ 2005
11-21-2006, 11:51
SAC is taking care of all my Christmas needs :D

Blissful
11-21-2006, 13:04
I've got two things coming today and tommorow. My Christmas gift and one for hubby. A Smartwool shirt for me, an altimeter watch for him.

orangebug
11-21-2006, 13:09
Extremely quick, well packaged and great communication via website about purchases and shipping. They even seem to ship quicker than WOOT.COM

BTW, I was real close to buying a small of that pack today for my honey.

hammock engineer
11-21-2006, 20:35
SAC is great. I have ordered a lot of smartwool from them. Fast shipping with tracking numbers.

If you have any problems call the Backcountry.com support. They run SAC. I haven't had to myself, but there are a couple posts on the SAC forum talking about how much easier it is to contact them use backcountry then the SAC info.

saimyoji
11-21-2006, 20:58
Purchased a Xenix IQ headlamp. When it arrived, it was the on-IQ model. I checked the website, order details and sacattack.com. They had changed the offer from IQ to the older version. Whatever. Its still a good headlamp at a good price, shipping took a week, but they said that up front. No complaints.

squivens
11-21-2006, 21:38
ordered from SAC many times. Returned one item, my mistake not theirs. Very good with shipping and taking returns.

Captain Blue
11-21-2006, 22:25
I have ordered two different items from Steep and Cheap recently. Both were shipped immediately and received within a few days. Both items were in manufacturer packaging.

CB

Gaiter
11-22-2006, 00:26
i've just started really paying attention to steapandcheap, i'm suprised at how fast things go, do they ever have stuff that last for days and days?

Trillium
11-22-2006, 00:50
i've just started really paying attention to steapandcheap, i'm suprised at how fast things go, do they ever have stuff that last for days and days?I've been paying attention for about 3 months and stuff rarely lasts more than 8 hrs, many times only a couple hours.

I've made about a 1/2 dozen purchases and have been very happy. good quality and good prices. quick shipping. have not had to return anything.

Ewker
11-22-2006, 01:10
i've just started really paying attention to steapandcheap, i'm suprised at how fast things go, do they ever have stuff that last for days and days?

just wait to you see how fast Smartwool shirts go. If you wait they are gone

Egads
11-22-2006, 05:57
Ewker,

Thanks for turning me on to SAC. I picked up a Smartwool shirt for my wife at a great deal.:)

Egads

Cuffs
11-22-2006, 17:02
glad to hear so many good reports. I ordered yesterday morning and had a shipping confirmation in my email today. YEA!!

adh24
11-22-2006, 17:18
They were great my wife and I order sleeping pads and they were shiped the next day after placing the order. Arived on time. :banana

hammock engineer
11-22-2006, 19:04
To save time on ordering, create an account and store your info on thier site. You can order in under a munite that way. It is the only way to get some items.

refreeman
11-22-2006, 23:27
I have been buying from SAC for 2 year now. Spent 2k+.
First run quality of older/discontinued models, of top respected brands.
Fairly easy to deal with and shipped promptly and reliably.

I am upgrading ALL my gear and clothes via steepandcheap (SAC), sierratradingpost.com (STP), campmor and eBay.

SAC has the BEST deals, very little trouble. However, recently I bought a Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket from SAC and it was taking over 7 day to start to ship. The second time I called to ask why my jacket is not on a truck yet, I had to talk to the manager. I asked for and he gave me, free 3 day UPS shipping. 95% of the backcountry.com people are great. If you get one of the 5% that suck just hang up and call back to get a good person that will do what needs to be done.

SAC has made it possible for me to have gear I could never afford. For example, I Am filling a dresser full of Smartwool and Icebreakers. I love smartwool socks and I always wanted to have merino wool base layers. It was always too expensive for me. Now I buy some every time I see it on SAC. At 60-75% off I live the SAC slogan. "Act fast, 'cause once it's gone you're SOL..." So so true.

trippclark
11-30-2006, 14:27
I placed my third order with SAC last night. I received a confirmation e-mail at 10:12 PM and got another e-mail at 11:43 PM stating that the order had shipped and providing a UPS tracking number.

That has got to be some kind of record!

Boat Drinks
11-30-2006, 15:11
Purchased 2 smart-wool shirts, & a head lamp. All shipped quickly, all were received as ordered and I was happy with all 3 times I've bought from SAC.

vipahman
11-30-2006, 15:39
I've ordered too many things from them. It's usually same-day shipping. Service is excellent. I had to report a lost shipment once and they refunded without a problem. Merchandise is new and good. They also give a lot of shipping options/carriers, etc. A++. Buy and don't worry.

Ewker
11-30-2006, 17:00
I do wish they had some type of shopping cart so I can add items over a day or so. It would save some on the S&H charges

Blissful
11-30-2006, 20:22
Yeah they do get you on the shipping but compared to what they sell the items for on their other site - Backcountry Outlet, it's still a great deal.

I just hate seeing the same things pop up when I'm on line. And some of the good stuff they've had I've been asleep or out. Like today -I wanted one of their jackets but was out of the house when they had it posted.

FanaticFringer
11-30-2006, 20:49
Kinda odd that you always see the Backcountry shirt for sale. I dont want to advertise that expensive site.(which they own) They need more Steep and Cheap shirts for sale.

hammock engineer
11-30-2006, 21:32
There is a lot of talk on the discusion board on SAC about shipping. I think that the real answer is that they need the extra shipping charge on some of the items to cover their overhead.

I need a 12 step program from SAC. If you have internet access on your phone you can check if website from it. The only bad (or good) thing is that I cannot order from it.

Pringles
12-01-2006, 12:40
I had found a couple of things that I wanted to buy from their regular website. When I bought something off of SAC, I called within a few minutes of ordering that item, and asked if they could put the other stuff I wanted into the same order, thus saving extra shipping. They did, I saved, and they sold more stuff. :)

Beth

Follow-up--The box came and was without the stuff from the main site. I called, and was told that they really couldn't put stuff from the main site into the box with stuff from Steep and Cheap. Oh well. Steep and Cheap is still addictive. :-)

hammock engineer
12-02-2006, 02:34
I just got my smartwool T, avan googles, and altemeter watch delivered today. I love coming home and seeing those boxes. Man I need to stop checking SAC, my cashflow hates SAC but my gear collection loves it.

orangebug
12-02-2006, 11:46
GO RIGHT NOW to SteepandCheap for a Sierra Designs 800 GooseDown Zero bag in long and regular for only $185.08. This has to be an incredible deal.

Sly
12-02-2006, 12:02
GO RIGHT NOW to SteepandCheap for a Sierra Designs 800 GooseDown Zero bag in long and regular for only $185.08. This has to be an incredible deal.

I'm so glad it says Max User Height: [Reg];[Lng] 5ft 10in. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to buy one!

Maybe Troll can get in touch with SAC and set up a link where WB is given a percentage of any sales generated. It seems as though enough WB'ers buy there.

orangebug
12-02-2006, 12:23
I think that is a type, that Reg is up to 5'10". Usually long will get you an additional 4-6 inches or so. I have used the extra length to dry clothes and to keep boots from freezing.

Cuffs
12-02-2006, 12:28
Its a womens bag... usually the long is 5'10 and reg is about 5'6"...

Sly
12-02-2006, 12:33
Right... Women's Mist. Thank God!

generoll
12-12-2006, 08:06
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I seem to be somewhat challenged when it comes to finding threads or starting my own. Anyway, Steep and Cheap has mens wool/poly short sleeved tees now in all sizes by OR for $10.94 each.

Playoutside
12-15-2006, 14:07
great website, i am always buying something from them. its the first thing i check in the morning when i get to work

Cuffs
12-15-2006, 17:28
great website, i am always buying something from them. its the first thing i check in the morning when i get to work

First thing?! When Im "in the office (my spare BR) I check about every 10 minutes :eek:to see if something new has popped up. The only reason I dont "subscribe" to their instant notifications is that Ive heard how hard it is to "unsubscribe!"

Boat Drinks
12-15-2006, 17:46
First thing?! When Im "in the office (my spare BR) I check about every 10 minutes :eek:to see if something new has popped up. The only reason I dont "subscribe" to their instant notifications is that Ive heard how hard it is to "unsubscribe!"

Just get AOL IM, add the steepandcheap name to it and they will IM you when a new item pops up.

At least this is how it used to work, I have not seen them signed on AOL IM recently, but if I open an IM box and IM them with them signed off, I still can type in "what's new" and it will respond, weird..... Anyone else notice this glitch?

Sly
12-23-2006, 11:31
I've had two hiccups with Steep and Cheap lately.

The 1st was I returned a pair of trail shoes that were too small. One week after noticing the package had been returned my credit card hadn't be credited. I emailed them with no response. Several days later I called and the guy said they were backed up but they'd credit my card right then. It's been a few days, and just noticed they only credit the purchase price without shipping either way. $15 for nothing!

The second I recently bought the Helly Hansen Zone Jacket advertised at 1.9 ozs!

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/HYH0213/Helly-Hansen-Zone-Jacket-Mens.html

I should have known better considering it has three pockets and pit zips, but the jacket actually weighs 15 ozs!!!! It's a good jacket and I plan on keeping it, but buyer beware..... Atleast I got it at half the backcountry.com price

rafe
12-23-2006, 11:35
The second I recently bought the Helly Hansen Zone Jacket advertised at 1.9 ozs!

And you believed that?

I should have known betterI'll say. ;)

Sly
12-23-2006, 11:59
I'm not sure if I believed it or not, but I was hoping it would be less than 15 oz. I already have a couple of rain jackets (without the pit zips) that weight less than 8

mrc237
12-23-2006, 13:37
Just had the Jansport exterior BP delivered and the tape sealing the box had come loose but the product is fine. Christmas rush? Am I being too picky?

Sly
12-23-2006, 13:45
Just had the Jansport exterior BP delivered and the tape sealing the box had come loose but the product is fine. Christmas rush? Am I being too picky?

Yeah, you're being to picky, but with what they charge for shipping, maybe not!

My SAC days are over, "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." Plus I already have enough ****!

Trillium
12-23-2006, 14:04
I just purchased a Jansport Daypack and saved $100.

Have purchased from them about 6 or 7 times with no problems. However, I haven't had to return anything; but if I did, I would not expect that they would reimburse shipping.

Sly
12-23-2006, 15:00
Some companies reimburse shipping or have a clear enough policy up front to let one know whether they do or not. If I knew I was going to lose $15 on the deal, I would have kept the shoes and given them away or sold them on Ebay.

Ewker
12-23-2006, 16:25
Sly, did you ask if they would swap out for a larger shoe?

Sly
12-23-2006, 16:55
Sly, did you ask if they would swap out for a larger shoe?

No, since 12.5 was the biggest they had on site.

Sly
12-23-2006, 16:57
Refund policy says "full refund" nothing about shipping. I paid $35 and got $28 back.

Sly
12-23-2006, 17:00
I emailed them about my concerns regarding their refund policy and false advertising. We'll see what happens, if they elect to do anything. I'm not holding my breathe though since they never responded to my 1st email.