PDA

View Full Version : What is this tree bulge?

Robusto
11-21-2006, 19:49
I went on a section hike in Massachusetts this week, and there were numerous trees with a bulge in the trunk. The bulge was usually up high over five feet from the ground. I posted a picture today so our resident botanists can teach us a few things.
Any idea what causes this?

Check out the photo marked tree problem in last day photos
Robusto

Footslogger
11-21-2006, 20:01
I'm no tree expert but I have been told (by people who are) that this is the result of parasite infestation at some point in the trees life.

Beyond that I can't be of assistance.

'Slogger

TinAbbey
11-21-2006, 20:02
There is a bacteria called Agrobacterium tumafaciens that causes a plant disease called Crown gall. Which basically causes a tumor for the plant. That could possibly be it. Its one idea.
Team STeve

woodsy
11-21-2006, 20:04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

This should answer your question Robusto

hammock engineer
11-21-2006, 20:29
Thanks for the link. There are a lot of trees in one of the parks that I hike in that have these. I have been wondering and thinking about posting something on this for awhile. I was hoping that it would be something cooler than a growth.

Hikerhead
11-21-2006, 20:35
They have one on display at Grandfathers Mtn, NC that was carved out and it's big enough to take a bath in.

Two Speed
11-21-2006, 20:52
Thanks for the link. There are a lot of trees in one of the parks that I hike in that have these. I have been wondering and thinking about posting something on this for awhile. I was hoping that it would be something cooler than a growth.May not be cool, I guess, but it can make for some really good looking woodwork.

Gaiter
11-21-2006, 21:18
fungus, bacteria, parasites, it could be a number of things that caused this.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2006, 21:30
Barbed wire scarring.

emerald
11-21-2006, 23:45
Burls are treasured by woodturners and are fashioned into such things as bowls, pipes and other "one of a kind" items, since no two items would be exactly the same. I once had an old cane with a knob on the top turned from a burl.

TJ aka Teej
11-22-2006, 00:12
I went on a section hike in Massachusetts this week, and there were numerous trees with a bulge in the trunk. The bulge was usually up high over five feet from the ground. I posted a picture today so our resident botanists can teach us a few things.
Any idea what causes this?

I'd say it's a burl. Hardly ever see one of that proportion - usually something that big would be on a large tree. Maybe it's a gall instead?

Appalachian Tater
11-22-2006, 00:40
It's just happy to see you.
:banana

SGT Rock
11-22-2006, 03:57
Lone Wolf could be right about barbed wire - saw that a lot around cattle fields growing up in Alabama. Tree grows around something against the body. But it could also be other things:

My neighbor is a Cable (If you are a hiker in this area, you may know of Cable Mill, Cable Gap, Cable Shelter, etc) and his family goes way back. He told me about one tree down on Abrams Creek so I checked it out when I went hiking down there. One of his Great Uncles tied a rope to the tree for his tire swing when his family used to live on the land. When they left, the tree had started coving up the rope. Now you can't see the rope, but a big old Burl is on the tree where the rope use to be. That burl you saw may be some sort of history hidden inside a tree.

Gaiter
11-22-2006, 04:19
you can usually tell if its barbed wire, if they are all the same height, and seem to be in a row, so where the trees affected like that?

woodsy
11-22-2006, 10:25
The link below has a somewhat better explanation of Burls . If you are in the woods or on the trails much, you will likely see some of these.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-burl-wood.htm

Newb
11-22-2006, 13:10
We have an entire dresser my wife's grandfather made from maple burl. He was a master woodworker and taught at University in Sweden. It's the most beautiful piece of furniture we own.

emerald
11-22-2006, 17:29
We have an entire dresser my wife's grandfather made from maple burl. He was a master woodworker and taught at University in Sweden. It's the most beautiful piece of furniture we own.

I wonder if you mean curly or possibly bird's eye maple, two types of figured maple. Yet another type of figured maple is called tiger maple. Burls are generally small. l'm not saying what you're claiming isn't so, only that it would be highly unusual to be able to accumulate enough burl material to make a dresser or to be able to obtain burls large enough to work into boards.

A number of people have suggested that what the thread starter described is healed over injuries caused by wire. There does appear to be two pieces of wire projecting from the structure between about 7 and 8 o'clock. The repeating pattern described by the thread starter would suggest wire, but I wonder why there might be a strand or two strands of wire at 5 feet?

halftime
11-22-2006, 22:31
Lone Wolf could be right about barbed wire - saw that a lot around cattle fields growing up in Alabama. Tree grows around something against the body. But it could also be other things:

My neighbor is a Cable (If you are a hiker in this area, you may know of Cable Mill, Cable Gap, Cable Shelter, etc) and his family goes way back. He told me about one tree down on Abrams Creek so I checked it out when I went hiking down there. One of his Great Uncles tied a rope to the tree for his tire swing when his family used to live on the land. When they left, the tree had started coving up the rope. Now you can't see the rope, but a big old Burl is on the tree where the rope use to be. That burl you saw may be some sort of history hidden inside a tree.

That is true! I saw a bicycle inside a tree once. Was stuck right in the middle of a 2' diameter tree about 6' off the ground. Apparently someone leaned it againgst the tree about 20 years ago and forgot about it. Tree just grew around it.

zelph
11-23-2006, 22:13
Burl is formed just above the root crown at ground level.

Robusto said : quote "The bulge was usually up high over five feet from the ground."

emerald
11-23-2006, 22:42
I wonder why there might be a strand or two strands of wire at 5 feet?

Clothes line, maybe? Just checking back and that crossed my mind.

emerald
11-23-2006, 22:48
I looked through what biology, botany, dendrology texts I still own and couldn't find the word in any index, much to my surprise.

SGT Rock
11-24-2006, 04:02
As I understand the sure enough natural burl it is very rare. A unnaturally occurring burl could happen anywhere. Also, from accounts of some of the ones here and things I have seen, it looks like they can migrate up as the tree grows.

starvingmusician
11-24-2006, 09:23
Obviously, it's a woody.

English Stu
11-24-2006, 16:49
Hi
I was a City Arborist in England and hiked on the AT in 2004.This burr is definitely Agrobacterium tumafasciens or Crown Gall -a bacteria that gains entry through a wound.The bacteria multiplies affecting and altering cell growth that eventually produces the gall/tumour.As suggested the wood is prized by woodturners.Some ornamental trees are routinely affected Red horsechestnut ,Aesculus carnea being one ,suggesting it is endemic in the tree stock being used for propagation -well certainly in Britain

johnny quest
11-24-2006, 17:56

this is a picture of a tree on my family property in nw florida. the tree is taking over a light fixture. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1112&d=1164405266

emerald
11-24-2006, 19:31
As I understand the sure enough natural burl it is very rare. A unnaturally occurring burl could happen anywhere. Also, from accounts of some of the ones here and things I have seen, it looks like they can migrate up as the tree grows.

Wire rhymes with tire and is pronounced differently in the South. A fence puller is used to pull wire taught. A leg puller is what one calls tree-climbing burls. Can you post a link to a time-lapse video of this phenomenon?:D

SGT Rock
11-25-2006, 00:31
Sure, but you may have to wait a couple of decades to see it.

emerald
11-25-2006, 00:56
Sure, but you may have to wait a couple of decades to see it.

Where's 1Pint? Whenever she posts the word whatever appears! I guess trees grow different in Maryville than in botany classrooms. However, click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=276308&postcount=133).

Spock
11-25-2006, 14:22
The Knot Maul shelter in Virginia was named for the mauls foresters made from burls. Burls make great mauls because the tightly figured, knotted grain resists splitting. Soft iron or hardwood wedges are easily damaged by steel mauls, but not by knot mauls. And the knot mauls are elastic, making for more comfortable driving.

As all the explanations posted here eventually lead, burls form whenever a tree's outside layers are stressed. Many things can do it: physical damage alone, physical damage leading to bacterial or fungal infection, infections alone. But usually there is some initial injury to the cambrium.

emerald
11-25-2006, 14:45
As all the explanations posted here eventually lead, burls form whenever a tree's outside layers are stressed. Many things can do it: physical damage alone, physical damage leading to bacterial or fungal infection, infections alone. But usually there is some initial injury to the cambrium.

Perhaps, so.:-? However, I believe you meant cambium.;)

Spock
11-25-2006, 14:57
I gabe up on soelling and tiping a log time ago.

emerald
11-25-2006, 15:04
I gabe up on soelling and tiping a log time ago.

Keep posting anyway! We know what you meant.;)

Robusto
11-30-2006, 19:20
I think English Stu is right. It looks like crown gall from this web search

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1399118

Thanks for all the help
Robusto

emerald
11-30-2006, 19:43
There's still much to be sorted out on this issue. Anyone have a plant pathology textbook handy? We still have yet to define this term burl!

Anyway, the site mentioned in the last post was a good addition to my botanical links collection. Thanks.

Newb
12-07-2006, 12:59
I wonder if you mean curly or possibly bird's eye maple, two types of figured maple. Yet another type of figured maple is called tiger maple. Burls are generally small. l'm not saying what you're claiming isn't so, only that it would be highly unusual to be able to accumulate enough burl material to make a dresser or to be able to obtain burls large enough to work into boards.

I will photograph it for you to judge. We also have several bowls and containers (with lids) that he made from burls...all of them flawless. As well, I have his entire collection of awls and tools...many of them handed down from the 1800s thru the family. The fellow was 98 when he died and had lived in the same house since 1907. We also have a French Revival style grandfather clock that he hand-carved and several tables and chairs.

stuco
12-07-2006, 17:08
Burled wood shure is beautiful

http://www.manne.com/pict/TAOS%20SPECIAL%20BURL%20P.jpg