PDA

View Full Version : Because You Can't Get Enough of Bill Bryson

Fiddleback
11-21-2006, 21:54
When Growing Up Was Nothing but Fun

Globetrotting author Bill Bryson writes about his childhood as a young superhero in the heart of the heart of 1950's America.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15832572/site/newsweek/

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2006, 22:01
I'm presently reading Bryson's memoir, and it is pretty damned funny.

Oh, and not to worry....I got it from the Hanover Library! Just cuz I'm interested in his stuff doesn't mean I wanna pay for it!

A-Train
11-22-2006, 00:06
I really enjoyed the memoir, and laughed my ass of at certain points. It was interesting to note his father was a popular baseball writer, and I enjoyed a little more of a view into Katz's life.

Often I've read people criticize Bryson for his cheap shots at those around him and his need to poke fun at others. This is true, and he does it quite effectively. That being said, no one is spared from the sarcastic joking, his family and himself included!

fiddlehead
11-22-2006, 01:06
Yeah, his (Bryson's) style of always making fun of others and places doesn't do anything for me. Too much negativity to get a laugh. I'd rather read some Carl Hiaasen for a laugh. Now THAT guys funny.

lobster
11-22-2006, 11:51
On the recommendation of a fellow poster, I am currently reading "In a Sunburned Country" by Bryson which is about his train trip thru the Australian outback. Good stuff.

I'