PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Compression

superflatz
11-22-2006, 11:57
Hi all,
Thanks to this forum, I've just started getting the "big stuff" for my backpacking - 2007 thru (fingers crossed).

I've received my new Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack (3800 c.i.) and my Mountain Hardwear 800 fill down sleeping bag 15+ (again thanks to this forum alerting me to a sale).

:eek: My question is this: This is a fairly large pack, but when I compress my bag to put it in the bottom, it still seems to take up almost 1/2 the volume of my pack. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I haven't put it in a sack yet, but I do secure it with a large rubber band which holds pretty well (just temporarily). Should I get a certain size sack? Doesn't seem to be enough room for my eventual tent/hammock, pad, food etc.

You guys/gals have been great. I can't tell you how much I've saved (not just from buying the wrong equipment). There are big price differences on the web.

Bob

Moose2001
11-22-2006, 12:06
Bob, what are you compressing it in? If you're just stuffing it in the bottom of your pack, it will take up 1/2 your pack. Buy a good compression bag for it. You'll be surprised how small you can compress a good down bag.

rswanson
11-22-2006, 12:20
I've received my new Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack (3800 c.i.) and my Mountain Hardwear 800 fill down sleeping bag 15+ (again thanks to this forum alerting me to a sale.
There wasn't a stuff sack included with the bag? If not, you can get one after-market. Most 15-20 degree 800 fill power down bags will fit in an 7x15 stuff sack without overly compressing the bag. You could go smaller but probably won't need to. A silnylon or spinnaker stuff sack that weighs less than an ounce is a good choice. No need to get too fancy with a heavy, waterproof compression sack.

Some folks leave their bag uncompressed in the bottom of their pack to fill up space. Heavier gear packed on top will compress the bag but only as much as needed. The benefit is that your bag is always partially lofted, which might preserve the loft of the bag over time (although I have yet to hear any conclusive evidence to that effect). Make sure you have a good waterproof pack lining/covering system if you go that route.

superflatz
11-22-2006, 12:26
No, the bag didn't come with a stuff sack. It included a mes bag that the bag went in - uncompressed. It's size was about 2 feet by 2.5 feet. I got a kick out of that. Great for storing though.

So, a 7 x 15 stuff sack would be a good size?

bigcranky
11-22-2006, 12:33
Didn't the bag come with a stuff sack? You could see how small that makes it. You could make your own silnylon stiff sack, or buy one in the right size.

Grinds
11-22-2006, 12:48
I used a Granite Gear medium stuff stack. It worked like a charm. You may want to check that out.

SalParadise
11-22-2006, 12:49
yeah, that's a quality sleeping bag, it'll compress down pretty good. 7x15 definitely sounds about right. I like to use ones that are slightly bigger not only because they don't compress the down quite as much but it's just easier to pack the bag every morning.

You could always take your bag into the store and try out a few stuff sacks or buy a few and return the ones that you wouldn't use.

I wouldn't go without a stuff sack even if the sleeping bag did fit in the bottom, just for how much dirt and especially water that gets inside your pack.

SalParadise
11-22-2006, 12:58
You might just want to look up the specs for your sleeping bag online, you should be able to find the stuff size of the bag (Lyell 15: 9x18; Phantom 15: 8x14, etc.), so you'll know the size of the stuff sack you'd need to get.

Plus the specs will also include whether the bag normally comes with a stuff sack, and if so (kinda surprised yours didn't), you could call up Mountain Hardwear and I'm sure they'd send you one no charge.

superflatz
11-22-2006, 21:01
I ordered 2 bags. Just checked the other and yes, it did have a sack. I'll give them a call Friday.

Tried to stuff the bag in the sack that came with the other - boy is that a tight fit. Makes it small though. Must be smaller than a 7 x 15. May buy one of those sizes to see how it fits. If not well, then I'll use it for clothes.

Thanks all.
bob

bigben
11-22-2006, 21:30
I got some Sea to Summit lightweight(not the silnylon, but those would work just as good) waterproof stuff sacks. I think they're 13 liter. They work awesome for my down bag(Golite Doze in wide/long). I just stuff it in and smash it down removing all the air and sealing it. This way, your bag is compressed AND watertight. I love my down bag and have no problems carrying it on the AT, rain and all, but for the amount of worry keeping it in a waterproof stuff sack eliminates, I would do it no other way. Sleeping in a wet bag sucks, period; sleeping in a wet down bag really sucks.

Bigben

Michele
11-22-2006, 22:59
Hi superflatz, I've got an 850 fill down western mountaineering bag and I use a 7 x 15 stuff sack from here: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?products__productid=eq1000

I use 2 more of the same size, 1 for food, 1 for clothing, and they all stack nicely in my pack. Like you, I put my bag on the bottom and the weight of my other gear compresses it a little more. Good luck on your thru...see you out there! Oh...you can order several different colors from this company, even if they don't show the color, you can request it when ordering.

tazrun
11-22-2006, 23:36
Hello,

Just curious where you ordered your nimbus ozone pack from and was that on sale also. Good luck with all your equipment prep. Thanks.

Craig in Alabama

superflatz
11-23-2006, 01:35
Just curious where you ordered your nimbus ozone pack from and was that on sale also
Craig,
I got my nimbus ozone on sale at Travelcountry.com for $149. The best I could find it elsewhere was $179. I shipped in 1 day and I had it in 4 days.

bob

lbbrown
11-23-2006, 20:14
I ordered 2 bags. Just checked the other and yes, it did have a sack. I'll give them a call Friday.

Tried to stuff the bag in the sack that came with the other - boy is that a tight fit. Makes it small though. Must be smaller than a 7 x 15. May buy one of those sizes to see how it fits. If not well, then I'll use it for clothes.

Thanks all.
bob

Thanks to Dan at EMS I was able to get 2 Mountain Hardware down bags- the 15 degree Phantom-for the sale price. Check inside your sleeping bag or bottom of the mesh storage bag for the stuff sack. It will really pack down to a small size! Thanx EMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!