PDA

View Full Version : Working Like a Dog...

MtnBikerGuy
11-22-2006, 14:03
I am looking for suggestions on a pack for my dog. She is a 2 year old, 90lb yellow lab with too much energy...lol. Any suggestions for a good pack? Any to stay away from? Has anyone ever tried to make a homemade pack for their dog? I have looked at a few places online, but haven't seen anything homemade. As always, thanks for the advise I know I am about to receive.

Gaiter
11-22-2006, 14:33
i like mountainsmiths, it has great protection for the clasp and straps which can/will rub against their skin, the handle on top is another feature that i like, and i've used (coco sliped on a wet footbridge, i grabed her by the handle and lifed her up, saving us both from falling about 5 ft into a creek). one of the big pockets has a smaller pocket inside which was great for keeping a laminated copy of our emergency info (including shot records)

one bad note, I bought mine last spring, the staps fell apart, it looked like the supporting stich had just missed the straps and they just came apart, but mountainsmith replaced the whole pack and this one seems to be better built (you have to take it apart to look at these seems)

also unless you already have a dog bowl and good leash, order it as the 'dog trippin kit', its only $15 more and the pack comes with two bowls, a great leash (i don't like the long retractable ones) and a dog bed. for backpacking i only use the pack, water bowl, and leash, the dog bed is great for car camping.
i did use a tyvek square for a dog bed, she knew that was her place to sleep.

Phreak
11-22-2006, 15:46
I have a shepherd/lab mix and I've tried many packs. Initially, I loved the Mountainsmith Pack for her but the last couple of trips have rubbed her raw in her 'pit' areas. So I've gone back to the RuffWear Approach Pack II. I've never had an issue with this pack. I originally switched to the Mountainsmith due to it having a few more bells & whistles, but the chafing has become too severe, so it's bye-bye for the Mountainsmith.

Two Speed
11-23-2006, 09:28
Currently using a Kelty Chuckwagon for my mutt. It's OK, but it tends to rub him raw on the elbows (if dogs have elbows). May have to check out the
Ruffwear line.

Blue Jay
11-23-2006, 09:34
Since dogs cannot tell you that a pack hurts them and you claim to like your dog, why don't you carry the pack yourself? Stop being so lazy. A little weight won't hurt you but it may hurt your dog. I know don't tell me, you don't care.

FanaticFringer
11-23-2006, 10:39
You know what they say about opinions.............:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-23-2006, 10:41
........like aholes and everybody's got one? i agree with Blue Jay. Carry your dog's stuff. Let him walk free.

Jim Adams
11-23-2006, 13:00
carry the dog!!!

Gaiter
11-23-2006, 16:15
my coco likes carring her pack, she already like wearing clothes, so to her a pack is clothes that has food in it.

MtnBikerGuy
11-23-2006, 22:53
Blue Jay & LWolf....thanks for your unhelpful comments. After being on Whiteblaze for about a year, I have seen you both must have the need to comment on every subject, even if you are are not truely adding anything of value. When you blabber about everything, then it dilutes anything of importance you really may have to add to some topics.

Who knows, maybe I am thinking of getting a pack of dogs to carry all the gear for me. Bet thats never been done on the AT before.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions and comments.

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2006, 00:34
from the land of the working dog...ask for Alaska Grown..

dog packs..made Alaska tough

http://www.akgear.com/daypacks.html

Blue Jay
11-25-2006, 00:50
Blue Jay & LWolf....thanks for your unhelpful comments. After being on Whiteblaze for about a year, I have seen you both must have the need to comment on every subject, even if you are are not truely adding anything of value. When you blabber about everything

Since you've only had 30 posts in a year I thought I would look up where you have added something of value. The top 4 results are as follows:

4) the Boogereater one
3) the one about Gators on the AT
4) the one about drool and eating sleeping bags

And the number one post of value

Macgyver Action Figures

You are correct your posts are extremely helpful. Try to be nice to your dog, really I know it's hard for you, but try.