PDA

View Full Version : Beyond trail maintenance

Old Hillwalker
11-23-2006, 18:25
In addition to being the maintainer for two trail sections in New Hamster totalling about eight miles, I also am the Corridor Monitor for another eight mile long corridor- perimeter around South Moose Mountain. I'm sitting here on Thanksgiving evening, quite exhausted after two days of repainting surveyors blazes and operating a bladed weed whacker on steriods sometimes called a brush cutter, and really named "Whackzilla". Dressed in PPE on only about a mile of boundary running up and over the south ridge of said mountain. I am writing this to raise hiker awareness of another group of volunteers that you will rarely see on the trail because we are deep in the woods bordering the trail. Along with finding the aluminum AT boundary markers, we also renew the surveyor blazes and clear brush along the "sight line" of the boundary.

The task is usually done solo, but is most efficient with three people. So far most of my work is solo, but I'm always looking for people to help. Any takers out there?

woodsy
11-24-2006, 12:48
Tom,
Where are you trail maintaining in NH? Couldn't help but notice your age and think you must be in great shape maintaining 8 miles plus boundary blazing(bushwacking). Must be some young strapping lads that hike the area and would be willing to help with a noble cause....maybe someone you could pass the torch to in the future?
Recently noticed MATC is also looking for boundary blazers(bushwackers),thinking about pitchin in here .