PDA

View Full Version : boxers

gilreatr
11-23-2006, 20:45
Just got a dog for hiking its a boxer and wondered with a boxer being a medium build dog are they ok doing section hikes or are larger dogs better? My boxer is 15 weeks so far and he's longes hike was a 5 miler.

Chip
11-24-2006, 11:46
gilreatr,

Your boxer is not a bad choice for a trail hound. This type of dog has alot of energy! Start obedience training now. Remember start out slow!!! 15 weeks is still very young. Start with the basics (get a book or two in regards to hiking with dogs for more info). Get your dog on a leash if you have not already. 5 miles might be a little too much for a dog this young. Remember that bones and muscle are still being developed, don't over do it.

The rules I follow are:
Always keep my dog on a leash. (I can control my dog at all times. This protects my dog, other hikers on the trail and wildlife).

Give hikers the right of way when passing along the trail. Back off at least 10 feet so others will feel safe regardless of how "well trained" your dog might be. Other hiker won't know that and some hiker don't want to be bothered by a dog.

Never stay in shelters. (Many reasons).

Keep your dog away from water sources along the trail.

Take your dog off trail several yards when your dog needs to dump or pee.
Bury the poop in a cat hole. LNT!!

I only section hike with my dog(s), no more than 2 weeks at a time.
(My new limit).

I think your boxer will do well when trained for the trail. Also remember that your dog is a short hair breed. In some cold,wet weather some precautions will be needed. There are various types of dog vest for foul weather that are used on hunting dogs that might be handy. Also when hiking during hunting season both you and your dog should wear some blaze orange.

Good luck, stay safe and have fun! :)
Happy Trails,
Chip

BigToe
11-24-2006, 11:52
gilreatr,

I have had several boxers who love to be in the woods with me and on day hikes. The one thing I notice is that they have a tough time in hot weather and need to really slow down (lots of rest stops) and water breaks. Very high energy dogs - mine will climb right up the rocks ahead of me and will follow anywhere. However, in the hotter summer days here in NJ I have to leave her home, or night hike.

Chip
11-24-2006, 11:52
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... my dogs ...one is a Treeing Walker Coonhound , the other is a lab, pointer mix. Regardless, a two week hike is my limit. (These are trail hounds only. I am not a hunter.). ;)

Chip

altut
11-28-2006, 11:21
Ive got a Germah Shepherd Lab cross. He LOVES to hike but I found you have to be very careful when it starts to get warm. I have noticed that big dogs with lots of energy go fade fast when it gets warm. During the warmer months I only take mine day hiking when it is raining or he just has to stay at home. I dont think i could handle him getting heat stroke just because i wanted him to be with me. Dogs are great fun on the trail, just be careful.

Chris_Asheville
11-28-2006, 11:31
Don't start your dog too early. I know that sounds funny, but hiking repeatedly can be terrible for the bone/joint growth and development. Wait about 10-12 months before any extended hikes (10+miles per day). This will ensure everything develops properly.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 23:33
I had a German Boxer once. She finally died of old age. One thing she loved to do was to play fetch at the beach. We would throw a stick as far out in the waves as we could and she would go fetch it and beg for us to throw it out again.

glacier48
05-16-2008, 08:19
I don't find that it is the size or breed of the dog that matters but more the dogs lust for hiking. Watch the dog's behavior and try to determine if the dog loves hiking and has the endurance and passion for the sport.

I agree about keeping the hiking to a minimum for a puppy. Read up on hiking with a dog and you will find that it can damage the bones and such as stated above.

Glacier