PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Light Gear Arapaho Solo Tent

RagingHampster
05-24-2003, 02:08
I ordered this tent a few months ago, and absolutely love it!

Recently, I've cut off the storm doors (leaving the awnings for rain protection) reducing my total tent weight (tent, guylines, 8 stakes, and stuffsack) to 1lb 12.25oz (from 2lb 0.25oz).

I've also been using it with no footprint ( :eek: ), and have had no problems with floor-abrasion so long as I'm careful.

I can't tell you how much I reccomend it, and would suggest ordering it with 5" bathtubbing, velcro closures on the no-see-um doors, and no storm doors (something I modified after use).

http://www.trailquest.net/dlgcarapaho.html

ganj
05-24-2003, 14:42
I still haven't decided firmly yet, but am seriously looking at ordering one of their shelters for my PCT hike next year. Backpacker just rated one of theses as an Editor's Choice 2003. Backpacker magazine tends to ignore the smaller companies so it was a suprise to see it included in their annual Gear Guide. Also these shelters are made by a thru-hiker (Brawny 2002) who understands what kind of shelter is needed for ultra-lite hikers.

RagingHampster
05-24-2003, 15:11
Yeah, I chatted with Brawny briefly, she appears to be good at heart, and open to whatever modifictions you want to make.

The key points with this setup are...

- Lightweight (less than most commercial bivysacks!)
- Single-wall ease of use
- Incredible ventilation
- Bug-proof
- Plenty of room
- Great views
- No zippers to bust

The only gripes I have are...

- Not free-standing (difficult setup on tenting platforms in the whites)
- Make sure velcro doors are shut when storing, or everything comes out in a ball on next setup :D

Scorpion
05-27-2003, 15:13
Hampster
When you first got your arapaho solo I mentioned to you that I was also considering ordering one. I did, and used it for the first time this past three day weekend. I agree with you that I really like it. Used it at Gooch Gap, Three Forks, and Springer. Sunday night near the Springer shelter it rained off and on all night. I was suprised at how the overhang kept the rain out of the tent with the storm doors left open. Not sure if I would want to take them off like you did. Would be afraid of rain in windy conditions, as it often is. Think it would then blow in.

They no longer offer the velcro closure on the net door. I ordered mine that way and she called and said it wasn't available anymore. Think I would have prefered it that way, but the drop down netting isn't a problem. Can fasten it up and out of the way. Glad I have the tent. It is so much bigger than my SD ultra light year, and lighter too. That's a good combination, more room and lighter.

Hiked on Saturday from gooch (I tented and he stayed in the shelter) to long creek falls with Otto. He's a section hiker and was on his last day of his last section. Needless to say he was happy that he was finishing. A real interesting guy. He's originally from Switzerland, and has a German accent. He now lives in French Canada. Said the only time he speaks English is when he's on the trail. He started his hike in Canada, and hiked to the AT, before starting down it. This was his sixth year, and it was his 18th day this year.

The guy was like a machine. The same speed, up and down hills, and almost never stoping. I hiked with him to long creek falls, but it wasn't near as easy for me. We arrived at the falls at 1:00, and I know I slowed him down some, or he would have made even better time. We ate at the falls, and then I set up my tent down the stream towards three forks and he went on to springer. He was getting a shuttle to gainsville and then takeing the bus from gainsville. A real interesting guy. Wonder if any of you have run into him in the last six years on his southbound journey.

Scorpion