PDA

View Full Version : Velocity 35°

SillyGirl
11-24-2006, 23:38
I was wondering if anyone had ever used the ems velocity 35 with a liner? I am not hiking the entire AT, but will hike from CT-ME starting in May.

Blue Jay
11-25-2006, 00:24
I was wondering if anyone had ever used the ems velocity 35 with a liner? I am not hiking the entire AT, but will hike from CT-ME starting in May.

I have several EMS bags as I used to work there. The 35 degree rating is usually fair if you are not a cold sleeper, in which case it might be considered a 40 degree bag. I also use a silk liner in the summer and a fleece one in the winter, and I find that they add aprox. 10 degrees. Therefore the best you can expect IMO is a 25 degree rating. Since I live in near your starting point I think you have a chance of not being very cold in May, but the odds are somewhat against you. At the very least make sure you have a good layer of clothing that you can sleep in, that must stay dry. Also a good headlamp is important so if you do get cold you can hike until the temp goes up and sleep then. If you do this I say go for it. There is an EMS near the trail in Lanesboro MA and Manchester VT. depending on who is working they may help you out if needed.

Wonder
11-25-2006, 00:28
DO NOT DO IT!!! I hiked with that bag, and tried different liners.......I froze!!! On a chilly night, it's like sleeping in a wind sock!
Now, after that little tantrum......I do like EMS brand, and the Velocity. It is a very lightweight, compact, and roomy bag that is perfect for summer or late spring hiking. Perhaps try the 0*....... though, after last year...I"m going down. (EMS mountainlights womens 0*) I hope to be testing it this weekend.
Good luck on your search!

tarbender
11-26-2006, 05:09
I would not pick that sack! I froze my ass off in that sack more often than not. I wouldn't take that sack lower than about 42F. The sack lost it's loft quick as well. If you buy one I definitely wouldn't use the standard issue compression bag unless you are just plain nuts.

-jeff aka frankenfeet

canoehead
11-26-2006, 09:04
I use the TNFclimber 3-D 35 deg and a silk liner. I also bring polypro top / bottoms.

SillyGirl
11-26-2006, 10:57
Thanks guys for the advice. seems like more advice against it than it does for it. this really sucks because someone bought the bag as a gift along with the liner from the advice of a person who works at ems.

So just to be clear, I have a fleece liner rated to give an additional 15 degrees, plus the velocity 35, plus I will be wearing premier medalist thermo gear to bed. I am leaving mid may from CT and ending mid July in ME. If needed I will buy a different stuff sack for the sleeping bag to avoid compressing it into the tiny one that is given with the bag.

Is the advice still to not use this bag? I will tell the individual who bought it for me that it needs to be returned if this is the advice, I just want to be sure, cause its not fun to have to tell someone you need to return a gift, however, its less fun to freeze :).

Wonder
11-26-2006, 11:53
Thanks guys for the advice. seems like more advice against it than it does for it. this really sucks because someone bought the bag as a gift along with the liner from the advice of a person who works at ems.

So just to be clear, I have a fleece liner rated to give an additional 15 degrees, plus the velocity 35, plus I will be wearing premier medalist thermo gear to bed. I am leaving mid may from CT and ending mid July in ME. If needed I will buy a different stuff sack for the sleeping bag to avoid compressing it into the tiny one that is given with the bag.

Is the advice still to not use this bag? I will tell the individual who bought it for me that it needs to be returned if this is the advice, I just want to be sure, cause its not fun to have to tell someone you need to return a gift, however, its less fun to freeze :).

I repeat......this bag is not what you want if it's going under 45.....liner or no liner. It's just not warm enough!!

Blue Jay
11-26-2006, 18:01
Thanks guys for the advice. seems like more advice against it than it does for it. So just to be clear, I have a fleece liner rated to give an additional 15 degrees, plus the velocity 35, plus I will be wearing premier medalist thermo gear to bed. I am leaving mid may from CT and ending mid July in ME. If needed I will buy a different stuff sack for the sleeping bag to avoid compressing it into the tiny one that is given with the bag.

The fleece liner will at most add 10 degrees, never 15. Do not use any stuff sack other than a garbage bag to keep it dry. You DO NOT need to lose any loft. Never take advise from an EMS employee unless you are sure he or she is a thru. Most get zero training and just make up things.