PDA

View Full Version : Alone in the Wilderness

Topcat
11-25-2006, 14:55
PBS is begging again in Maryland and showing my favorite show they do. "Alone in the Wilderness" If you are in the maryland/Baltimore area, check it out.

saimyoji
11-25-2006, 15:52
Thats my favorite beg-a-thon video. The Australian Pink Floyd one is pretty cool too.

Panzer1
11-25-2006, 22:51
It was an interesting story about a man who lived in the wilderness all by himself for many many years. I often wondered what it would be like to live by myself that way. I think it would be an adventure but in the end I am glad that I live with my family.

Panzer

bigben
11-25-2006, 23:40
I liked that show so much I actually went out and bought the book. Not all that much different from the show, but a decent read. It does have a ton of pictures of the cabin and stuff that he built, and the terrain, which are much better than the grainy old film on the documentary.

Bigben

Mr. Clean
11-26-2006, 06:15
I bought the book and DVD. That dude was hard core.

woodsy
11-26-2006, 08:29
For those who are not familiar with the story:

http://www.alaskanha.org/_details.cfm?ProdID=969

Wanderingson
11-26-2006, 09:15
Here is another link to many of Dick Proenneke's adventures to the frozen north.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/index.html

Perhaps the most facinating aspect to me was his level of craftmanship. I was totally blown away with how he masterfully hand-crafted the door hinges.

Many of use dream of an opportunity to be able to do something like what Dick did for all those years.

Topcat
11-26-2006, 09:35
I love his story. I often imagine getting lost with myself in that kind of solitude. It wasnt all work and no play, though. I like him saying at one point as he was making furniture or something, "tommorow is Sunday and i am going somewhere" The somewhere was a hike, up high, for fun.

He was a man totally prepared for what he was doing. Wish i had his skills.

Ewker
12-08-2007, 15:20
My local PBS station is showing this again. One of my favorite movies. Dick Proenneke was a heck of a craftsman

Cuffs
12-08-2007, 15:37
I just cruised thru the on-screen channel guide for my PBS station and its not on!!! From reading all the talk, I really wanted to see it. Ah well, the Blue Man Group will be on later today, I'll watch that!

Bob S
12-09-2007, 02:23
Our local station had this on a few days ago. 35-years is a long time to spend out in the wild.

jrwiesz
12-09-2007, 04:16
35-years is a long time to spend out in the wild.

35 yrs. is a long time to spend in so called "civilization", but many people do it!:sun

Appalachian Tater
12-09-2007, 11:40
It is available by torrent, but it may not be a legal means of obtaining the film:
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3801085/Alone_In_The_Wilderness_AVI

OregonHiker
12-09-2007, 11:52
Our local station had this on a few days ago. 35-years is a long time to spend out in the wild.

If I recall correctly he spent just one winter at the cabin. In my view that doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments. I believe I saw this on the NPS website.

bullseye
12-09-2007, 12:24
If I recall correctly he spent just one winter at the cabin. In my view that doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments. I believe I saw this on the NPS website.

He atually left the 1st winter while he was constructing the cabin. He spent the next 30 or so years living at the cabin, except for occasional visits to family. The reason he gave it up was the extreme winters (-50 degrees:eek: )were getting to be too much effort for him. I give him credit, I'm younger than he was when he built the cabin and the winters are more than I would want to endure.:D He stayed until he was 82 years old and left the cabin in 1999. The cabin has been preserved by the park service, from what I understand.

mdgamewarden
12-09-2007, 12:45
What a great craftsman he was. I have spent some time doing a little wood work trying to make some of the things he did. I cant make them that nice and I have POWER tools. Would have enjoyed a visit to Alaska to see him before he died.

Panzer1
12-09-2007, 13:01
What a great craftsman he was.

Yes, he was a Carpenter and mechanic before going up there to build that cabin. Not everybody would have the woodworking skills to do that.

Panzer

Panzer1
12-09-2007, 13:07
I bet he could do a thru hike on $1500.

Panzer

FanaticFringer
12-09-2007, 19:16
I bet he could do a thru hike on $1500.

Panzer

I bet he could do one with no money....you know living off the land, build your own shelter....daily.:D