PDA

View Full Version : How many cubes? (cu in?)

Cuffs
11-25-2006, 22:14
I had this in another thread and maybe thats why it wasnt tended to....

For weekend, weeklong and thru hiking, about how many cubic inches should a pack be? I was previously asking about the Golite Perspective that ran about 4000 ci and those that replied said it was too large. But whats too large? 3500? 3700? Is 3000 ok? HELP!? Please!?

freefall
11-25-2006, 22:30
I used a 5500 cu in this year on my hike and found that I filled it because the space was there. Once I switched to my summer bag, I had way too much room and even with all the compression straps cinched tight , stuff tended to shift. I now use the Gregory z pack. Mine's a large (3950 cu in) and everything fits fine w/ 5 days of food. Could get more in there if I needed to. And when I just go out for 2 nights, I can cinch the straps down and remove the lid and nothing shifts.

My sleeping bag is a bulky synthetic but if I get the MH down :bananaI think I'm getting from Santa, I could get away with under 3500 cu in w/ 5 days food.

Blissful
11-25-2006, 22:56
4000 c inch to start a thru in March is too large? I find my winter gear takes more room. You could go smaller for the summer, most likely. But as a gal, I find I also carry probably a few more girl things than a guy for comfort sake. Like my two cocoon pillows. I'm bringing my down jacket (I hate being cold). And I am going synthetic as well with my sleeping bag at least to begin the hike. I find too if the pack has a hydration system, that takes room.

I won't say what my pack is - b/c that would cause a firestorm, ha ha. But I'm using this one b/c it just doesn't cause sciatica problems as countless others did when I tried them.

BTW - I thought you had picked your pack out, AL Hiker Gal?

Just Jeff
11-26-2006, 01:32
The only real difference between an overnight pack and a thru-hike pack is days to resupply...i.e. the amount of food. Everything else is the same - shelter, bag, etc. Except for adding winter gear, obviously.

The Granite Gear Vapor Trail is a very popular thru-hiker pack - that should give you a rough idea of what most folks carry. Some considerably more - like MS - and some considerably less, like Wolf-23000. I bet 80% of thru-hikers fall between 3000 and 4000 ci packs, but that's a complete guess.

Mr. Clean
11-26-2006, 06:09
I would either take all your gear to the gear store and see what it'll fit into, or rent a few packs and see if your stuff fits into it. I bought the Gregory Forester based on the fact that everyone seemed to love it, and I love it. With the extension collar on it I can cram 4700 worth of stuff inside, and for a cold New England weekend hike, it's usually just enough. I've never thru hiked, and never been out for more than two nights, but the pack is fine for me.

So, maybe rent a few packs and kill two birds with one stone; see what you like, and see what size you need.

SGT Rock
11-26-2006, 07:21
Get you a Gearskin. That way it can be a small pack when you want a small pack, and a big pack when you need a big pack - and at a hair over 21 ounces it is light. I have carried up to 50 pounds in one.

Cuffs
11-26-2006, 09:14
I ordered that Osprey Atmos 50 off S&C the other day and it runs about 3100ci. Now Im concerned that its not going to be big enough, even tho its light enough. I have wayyyy too much room in my Shasta and besides, its just plain too heavy.

SGT Rock
11-26-2006, 09:18
You can make it. IF it doesn't fit, you didn't need it - or get a smaller whatever it is. Sometimes the best way to discipline yourself is to force yourself to do it.

Peaks
11-26-2006, 10:47
Best advise for buying a pack is to buy all your other gear first, and then take it to a local outfitter and try on different packs loaded with your gear. If you gear, food and water don't fit into 4000 CI or less, you are probably trying to carry too much.

Blissful
11-26-2006, 21:34
I ordered that Osprey Atmos 50 off S&C the other day and it runs about 3100ci. Now Im concerned that its not going to be big enough, even tho its light enough. I have wayyyy too much room in my Shasta and besides, its just plain too heavy.

You might be okay, esp if you have a down bag (they compress well). I had tried the Osprey Ariel at 3800 and had all the room I needed (the pack just hurt my sciatic nerve, sadly enough. sniff. Great pack though). But you will find that the inches get used up quick. I had tried a REI women's pack at about 3000 ci and it was too small for all my junk. :) If you are going ultra light and compact in gear you should be fine. I have lots of room in the pack I will be using and it's heavy too, but I'm carrying the weight of the suspension for my back. That's the way I look at it for me. My son will help carry some of the weight as in the shelter, etc. so for me it evens out. I'm looking to stilll be under 30 lbs hopefully under 25 if possible.

swift
11-26-2006, 22:01
Don't sweat the Atmos. I got from Kent CT to Katadhin with it never wanting for room, although the packs I used before that were comparably sized and I carry "luxury" items. No matter what size pack you end up with you can only carry what fits in it. That may sound bass ackwards but it is a great way to stay in sight of reality. Conditions force you to adapt to what you can do, and you'll do it well.

swift
11-26-2006, 22:04
Best advise for buying a pack is to buy all your other gear first, and then take it to a local outfitter and try on different packs loaded with your gear. If you gear, food and water don't fit into 4000 CI or less, you are probably trying to carry too much.

I approach it from the other end Peaks. I get the pack I think I'd feel comfortable carrying then get gear that will fit into it I can live with. But then, that is what variety and opinions are all about

swift

Frosty
11-26-2006, 22:23
I approach it from the other end Peaks. I get the pack I think I'd feel comfortable carrying then get gear that will fit into it I can live with. But won't this only work if you have no gear to begin with? And what if the pack you are comfortable carrying is 500 ci? Or 7000? I'd hate to have to buy gear to fit the latter!