PDA

View Full Version : Where to hike in July?

Sakpase?
05-25-2003, 17:20
I have about a month to hike a portion of the AT--from early July to early August. I have never hiked any part of the AT before. What section of the trail do you suggest I hike? Northbound or southbound?

Lone Wolf
05-25-2003, 17:52
Maine. Southbound from Katahdin.

Peaks
05-26-2003, 08:48
If I had one month, I'd go northbound from Gorham to Katahdin. The goal of Katahdin builds as you hike toward it.

But then again, it's nice to spend a month almost anywhere along the trail, or some related trail.

MedicineMan
05-27-2003, 02:01
wherever you go pick a section with elavation so you can enjoy 'cool' mountain air!

attroll
05-27-2003, 12:53
I would pick Maine. Someplaace high. Like the section from Saddleback to the Bigelows or Do from Gorham to stratton. Anyplace high that way the bugs will not be so bad. If you pick the flat lands just before Katahdin you are going to run into bugs.

Penscal
05-28-2003, 10:33
Any place that will be cool, Georgia section is extremely hot in mid June through August. September is the most pleasant hiking time for me in Georiga

hikerat2002
05-28-2003, 12:29
How hot does the Georgia AT get in June?

Blue Jay
05-28-2003, 13:14
I did Georgia in June of 2001 and it was beautiful. Last year I did Maine and had several 100 degree days. You never know, the AT is up high you can get anything.

flbackpacker
05-28-2003, 13:28
Hey, I'm planning on doing 6 days on the AT starting on the approach trail to Springer and heading North. Don't know where your at and if that's convenient or not, but your certainly most welcome to join me. I've got a tentative ok from a couple of people, the more the merrier....., well to a point anyway.

EarlyRiser
06-02-2003, 18:40
Shenandoah National Park is always a nice place, good for somone new to the AT. For the past several years ive hiked parts of the park around then end of july early august, and have had little trouble with heat or bugs. in fact as far as temperatures were concerned it has always been beautiful, chilly at night, maybe eighties nineties durring the day. its a great park, its not a month long hike, but its certainly a start.

jojo0425
07-07-2003, 14:29
I was on the trail end of June beginning of July last year between Springer and Neels Gap. It was hot and wet. Good thing the trip was only three days...I couldn't stand the smell of my mildewing clothes.

However, wouldn't trade that time on the trail for anything. There was plenty of water (this year streams should be overflowing) and the evenings were pleasant. If you're on the trail anywhere, you'll have a great time.

I'll be back on north GA in a coupld of weeks along the Jacks River. I'll be hot, but it's better than sitting in the office any day!

Peaks
07-07-2003, 16:14
Don't forget that a crappy day on the trail beats a good day on the job everytime.

stranger
07-07-2003, 20:47
Anywhere in New England would be sweet.

brian
07-07-2003, 21:30
Saddlebacks and the Bigelows in maine are where im hiking this summer.

Brian