PDA

View Full Version : sausage gravy, chili, chipped beef and bar b que in a bag

Topcat
11-26-2006, 09:06
I have noticed that, in the Mid-Atlantic, chili, chipped beef, sausage gravy and pork bar b que in a foil pouch, just like tuna. It was in the refridgerated section and didnt think much of it until i read the lable and it said "refridgerate after opening" Turns out that they are shelf safe for months, unrefridgerated. The heating process is boil in bag as well, which is easy and mess free. They may be a little heavy, until you eat them..lol

Has anyone tried them yet? The brand name here is Esskay.

orangebug
11-26-2006, 09:47
They've been around for awhile. They also make pet food.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-26-2006, 10:25
I tried the chili and it wasn't to my liking (but I'm really picky about my chili)

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2006, 13:29
Hmmm. You just described chipped beef and sausage gravy in a bag as "mess free."

I bet it looks like something that fell out of a goat.

But I like the idea and will probably try it next year. :D

Topcat
11-26-2006, 15:47
lol Jack, i am sure i will have some saved in my beard for later in the day.

I like the idea of no pot to clean though, that is why i have switched to freezer bag cooking. By and large, i have the scouts i work with doing the same. Last week on a weekend trip, they were damn near cooking free, only doing one meal and with nary a pot to clean at the end of it.

Fiddleback
11-26-2006, 20:36
Darn! I saw the title to this thread and thought it was my kinda recipe. Maybe next time.:(

FB

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-26-2006, 21:33
Darn! I saw the title to this thread and thought it was my kinda recipe. Maybe next time.:( You are a sick arachnid. :D

Given what Jack said 'looks like something that fell out of a goat', has anyone seen the contents?

sarbar
11-26-2006, 21:39
Darn! I saw the title to this thread and thought it was my kinda recipe. Maybe next time.:(

FB
Hows this?

*NEW* Grizz’s BBQ Bowl:

½ cup dried cooked ground beef
2 Tbs dried green pepper
¼ cup freeze dried corn
2 tubs/packets bbq sauce
½ tsp chili powder
¼ cup French fried onions
1 cup Instant hash browns

In one quart freezer bag, combine beef, peppers, corn and chili powder. Mix well in bottom of bag. Top with hash browns. (Don’t mix)

Put French fried onions in a sandwich bag with unopened bbq tubs.

In camp, add bbq sauce, then boiling water to the quart freezer bag (not quite covering), knead gently and cozy 15 minutes.

Divide and top with onions.

Serves 2.
Thanks to Perk (now known as Grizz)

Frosty
11-26-2006, 22:25
Hmmm. You just described chipped beef and sausage gravy in a bag as "mess free."

I bet it looks like something that fell out of a goat.Front or back end? :D