PDA

View Full Version : cheap merino wool hiking socks at Costco

bigcranky
11-26-2006, 12:55
Found some new socks at Costco yesterday: Kirkland Outdoor Trail Sock, Merino Wool Blend. These are 71% merino wool, 21% nylon, 7% polyester, and 1% spandex. They look and feel very similar to Smartwool Hiking socks, with the same stretchy section across the top of the foot. ("Very similar" = "pretty much exactly the same.")

They came in a package of 4 pairs of socks for $10.00. Yes, that's $2.50 per pair. I had just come over from our new REI store, where the regular price of Smartwool socks is about $17.00 per pair. So, not a bad dirtbagger deal.

Dunno about the long-term quality or durability, but I will say that they feel great on my feet. No itching, smooth and soft. I'll try them on a hike this week or next.

FanaticFringer
11-26-2006, 14:43
My local Walmart has some really nice hiking socks in their hunting dept.

copythat
11-26-2006, 17:35
lemme do the math ... $10 for the socks ... $50 for the membership ... $15 a pair. still a little cheaper than smartwool, and then i get to buy 50 rolls of toilet paper for the cost of 40 rolls!

cool.

refreeman
11-26-2006, 18:51
Big Cranky,

Thanks. I'll check them out tomorrow.

bigcranky
11-26-2006, 20:21
Wow, you are right -- this isn't a particularly good deal unless you are a member. Duh.

dla
11-26-2006, 20:57
Good socks. I've been using them for everyday use the last two months. Very comfy for the walk to and from work (~4.5 miles and up hill coming and going).

Just a reminder - since these are wool socks it should be obvious that they are fairly warm. I use Old Spice Stick Original on my feet before putting on the socks. Keeps my feet dry and my boots smelling nice.

Brrrb Oregon
11-26-2006, 23:36
Wow, you are right -- this isn't a particularly good deal unless you are a member. Duh.

Actually, you only have to know a member. Costco lets members bring guests in. The member has to do the actual buying, you pay them back. Most people I know with a card are happy to do this every now and then for their friends who don't shop Costco enough to justify a membership.

copythat
11-27-2006, 00:04

'tis true that if you're a member (or have a friend who is) it's a great deal.

i used to belong to b.j.'s until i figured out that i was spending more on the membership than i was saving. i just didn't know what to do with a two-year supply of shampoo!

Hana_Hanger
11-27-2006, 00:56
I will check out our Costco tommorrow...sure hope they sent some over here :) Thank you for the heads up on this.

superflatz
11-27-2006, 02:20
You can get Smartwool Hiking socks at Sierra Trading Post for $8.95/pr. I bought 4 and they are excellent.