PDA

View Full Version : Hillberg Rajd anyone??

Minervan12
11-26-2006, 21:32
I am really interested in this tent. It seems to have a lot of pros yet some major cons. Anyone used it for a thru-hike? Have any insight? Was it worth the lack of weight?

It'll be me and my boyfriend and (don't mean to start anything here....) but my dog as well. We're hiking sobo 2007. We want plenty of room for less weight. Right now we have this heavy heavy heavy marmot that my boyfriend adores...(hoping to get him this one for xmas....to save us both...)

Anyone?

Appalachian Tater
11-26-2006, 21:38
Have you looded at the tarptent Double Rainbow?

Minervan12
11-26-2006, 21:53
nope but will do....

Minervan12
11-26-2006, 21:55
oohh...i like that one too....merrr....which one? Anyone have an opinion on the two of these now? lol....the quest for the best never ends does it?

Tipi Walter
11-26-2006, 23:29
I am really interested in this tent. It seems to have a lot of pros yet some major cons. Anyone used it for a thru-hike? Have any insight? Was it worth the lack of weight?

It'll be me and my boyfriend and (don't mean to start anything here....) but my dog as well. We're hiking sobo 2007. We want plenty of room for less weight. Right now we have this heavy heavy heavy marmot that my boyfriend adores...(hoping to get him this one for xmas....to save us both...)

Anyone?

Hey, I got your PM and saw this post and had to look up the Rajd on the Hilleberg website since I couldn't remember if it's a dome or an A-frame. It is very light and very small, 25 sq ft which is cramped for one person and it'll be tiny when packed with 2 and a dog.

I certainly carry and use a Hilleberg, the Staika to be exact, and it would be a perfect tent for two people and a dog with its two vestibules and its freeestanding quality. I carry it solo and it is HEAVY but for 2 people it could be divided up and probably is about the same weight as the Marmot you like. It is much more expensive than the Rajd, of course.

The Hilleberg Jannu is also another great choice and is a dome with pole clips and it's lighter than the Staika. Another option would be to carry two separate small tents for solitude and down time, expecially if one of you is allergic to snoring.

When it comes to tents, you've gotta go with your heart. If a certain model like the Rajd entices and captivates, go ahead and get it. If it looks right and feels right, even if it weighs too much, it's probably a good choice.

Appalachian Tater
11-27-2006, 00:20
If it looks right and feels right, even if it weighs too much, it's probably a good choice.

I think weight is extremely important. Many people end up replacing equipment just because it's too heavy. Any tent under three pounds for two people is light, though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2006, 08:27
I feel comfort is every bit as important as weight because you spend a lot of time in your tent on a thru-hike. It needs to be big enough for you to sleep comfortably, to shelter you from really nasty weather and, since it will be your home for about 4 to 7 months it needs to fit with you and your personality.

Shires tents are more affordable than Hilleberg, but I doubt they are as comfortable in cold (even the Rainbow with a second wall) or as durable. If you are a cold sleeper, you may well want to consider the Hilleberg. I'm a cold, cold sleeper and carry some extra weight so I can stay warm enough to get some quality sleep. The male dino is a hot sleeper so my extra weight is in my personal insulation ( my side of the quilt is thicker than his) rather than my tent.

You will also want to be sure the dog has adequate shelter. Personally, I would think the Hilleberg vestibule would be more comfy for a dog than the Double Rainbow. If you plan to have the dog in the tent with you, you may want to look at Shire's Rainshadow 2 (http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html)

Another tent you may want to consider is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47).

You mention your boyfriend having a heavy Marmot he adores. May I ask which model? The features of a model he adores will tell you a lot about what is important to him in a tent.

Minervan12
11-27-2006, 09:50
Well...I have been looking more closely at the double rainbow and rainshadow 2...and have given up the idea of the rajd.

Good question about marmot odyssey likes...I have been thinking of that. He and I like the tent for the same reasons...

It has a large vestibule for our stuff and it has lots of floor space for us and Violet (our dog)...

Thats really it though. I think we both dislike the size and weight (and he is usually stubborn about how he packs it and carries it all and I only get the poles...which is fine but leave me feeling guilty and girlish...). Also, it takes a long time to set up, particularly bothersome in the cold and dark, when we often end up nesting ourselves.

I like the dual doors on the double rainbow and the sewn in floor. Can't beat 2.5 pounds for two people...I also like the dual vestibules, floor space, and option for extra liner on top. The two doors seem like they would provide more privacy.

I have no illusions about there not being an issue with needing privacy or even separate shelters some nights (lol...we've been together a long time and I know being together every second would tax us...). I wish they made a tent that would separate into two tents!

DrewNC2005
11-27-2006, 12:56
You could also check BackpackingLight.com for reviews on both the Double Rainbow and the Rajd.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2006, 13:03
::: giggling about need for two shelters :::

You can always hike apart during the day by deciding in advance to meet at a certain landmark or shelter. While sleeping on the sofa works at home, it doesn't work nearly as well while hiking :D

Franco
11-28-2006, 07:09
Hi Melissa
The dog in the vestibule idea concerns me a little particularly with the Hilleberg since they don't have one. If you are going with the TT Double Rainbow, unless your dog is very small it will be cold and wet in the DR beak ( constant contact with the silnylon fabric). A better idea would be, and this works if you two are under 70" tall, to have the packs in the vestibule and the dog at your feet. You cannot do that with the Hilleberg because the walls at the foot/head ends are at a similar angle to the DR beak.
In my humble opinion the Rajd is the worst design from one of the best tentmakers.
No direct experience but condensation and sagging will be a problem with it.
Franco
BTW I am very biased towards TT, but I am keeping an eye on Hilleberg (particularly Petra, so far the best from Bo Hilleberg)

lucky luke
11-30-2006, 02:10

BTW I am very biased towards TT, but I am keeping an eye on Hilleberg (particularly Petra, so far the best from Bo Hilleberg)

hi franco,

is that the cute blonde? bo´s daughter? :-?
better use both eyes to look.:sun

greets
lucky luke

MedicineMan
11-30-2006, 02:47
I've got the Hilleberg Akto, modded it out and saved several ounces..two people can sleep in it especially if they are 'close', and it does have a vestibule, but if the dog is in the vestibule then your packs wont be, but if you are 'short' people then the packs can go at the feet.
The TT Double Rainbow is an excellent product with many options on setup..I've just ordered a carbon fiber pole for it to save even more weight.
If you choose Hilleberg or Tarptent you have chosen wisely.

Franco
11-30-2006, 04:33
Hi Luke
You are correct, Petra is indeed Bo's daughter and not a tent at all . There is no justice in this world. There she is, tall, blond, with a very appealing foot print and she likes to talk about tents. Can someone tell her that I am available ?
Franco

Tipi Walter
11-30-2006, 11:23
Hi Luke
You are correct, Petra is indeed Bo's daughter and not a tent at all . There is no justice in this world. There she is, tall, blond, with a very appealing foot print and she likes to talk about tents. Can someone tell her that I am available ?
Franco

I've talked to Petra several times on the telephone as I was preparing to purchase one of her tents(though I don't think she'll remember me) and it's sort of cool to be able to connect with someone at the top of Hilleberg right off the bat. I just hope it's not the only reason I bought the tent.

Naw, I love my green dome beauty(the tent, not Petra)and would've bought it even without her participation. Maybe. My question is, what's a very appealing foot print?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2006, 11:52
AU "very appealing footprint" = East TN "build like a brick privy"

Tipi Walter
11-30-2006, 15:17
AU "very appealing footprint" = East TN "build like a brick privy"

Phew, that's good to know. I already have a decent ground cloth.

Franco
12-01-2006, 06:22
Thanks Renee for the transcontinental translation, it saved the day. For a moment I thought that I sounded like an old perv when in fact ( emotionally) I am a teenager.

Walter
Sure you bought a dome tent from Petra because you liked the tent ( TIPI WALTER)
Franco

Heater
12-01-2006, 07:40
Naw, I love my green dome beauty(the tent, not Petra)and would've bought it even without her participation. Maybe. My question is, what's a very appealing foot print?

Did you get the Unna?

Tipi Walter
12-01-2006, 10:06
Did you get the Unna?

I thought about the Unna, I thought about the Jannu. I went with my heart and got the Staika, a freestanding 3-poled dome with 2 vestibules and 2 doors. It would be TOO HEAVY for most backpackers but there's something about it which appeals to me.

Frog
09-16-2009, 18:17
All this talk and no one has tried one Or have not seen one set up. It is a great shelter. Pros very roomy for one. Set up in seconds and take down a snap. Draw backs are you must use two hiking poles and there is no vestibule. PROS It has so much room in it for one you can get all your gear in it and still have room. You have plenty of head room I take a crazy creek chair and sit in mine. I m 5 8 and no problem with the length The cloth is tough and light 2 lbs It has two doors so if you set it up with the wind right you can close one and have the other open with out a wind problem. I have used mine for two years now and have not had any failures on it. packs up pretty darn small two.

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 18:23
Thanks for posting this Frog.

What is the usable length? Also, any big issues with condensation management?

Thanks,

Egads
09-16-2009, 18:26
PM Skidsteer, he uses this tent & speaks highly of it.

Not sure the tents usable length, but he is ~6'-4" to 6'-5" IIRC

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23827&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=15354&cutoffdate=-1

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 18:44
Thanks for that. I have used the Akto extensively in the past (late fall) and loved the durability. I will have a TT Moment arrive shortly, but I have always been intrigued by the Rajd.

Tipi Walter
09-16-2009, 18:45
All this talk and no one has tried one Or have not seen one set up. It is a great shelter. Pros very roomy for one. Set up in seconds and take down a snap. Draw backs are you must use two hiking poles and there is no vestibule. PROS It has so much room in it for one you can get all your gear in it and still have room. You have plenty of head room I take a crazy creek chair and sit in mine. I m 5 8 and no problem with the length The cloth is tough and light 2 lbs It has two doors so if you set it up with the wind right you can close one and have the other open with out a wind problem. I have used mine for two years now and have not had any failures on it. packs up pretty darn small two.

Yeah, there's a lot of talk of how BAD the Rajd could be but nobody has used it. Except you. So thanks for the head's up. I'd like to hear more about it, especially how it does in pooling ground water and high blizzard type winds(with blowing snow). I'm always willing to give Hilleberg the benefit of the doubt, except lately their prices have been getting mind-numbing. (I paid around $600 for my Staika a couple of years ago and now it's at $745. YIKES). When Hilleberg started in the late 1960s or early 70s their first model was a little A-frame like the Rajd, so its design brings back some sentimental memories. I wonder how different the two are?

Franco
09-16-2009, 19:34
A pet peeve of mine is when people talk about brands rather than specific models ( IE I will never buy a Canon camera because I had a....) , but I fell into that trap myself with some rather flippant comments on the Rajd.
What I had in mind was the typical Hilleberg all season shelters and the Rjd is not like that. But it isn't meant to be , in fact it is defined as "A hybrid shelter that blends tarp and tent qualities into a simple, versatile ultralight package."better known here as a tarp tent. Seen in that light it provably compares well with a lot of the better known and often discussed shelters of this type.
So, sorry for my silly comment.
On a positive note, nice to see the beutifull pitch by Frog, better than most shots I have seen from other users.
Franco

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 20:52
Some decent pics here:

http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg-rajd.php

Skidsteer
09-16-2009, 20:55
Draw backs are you must use two hiking poles and there is no vestibule. PROS It has so much room in it for one you can get all your gear in it and still have room. You have plenty of head room I take a crazy creek chair and sit in mine. I m 5 8 and no problem with the length The cloth is tough and light 2 lbs It has two doors so if you set it up with the wind right you can close one and have the other open with out a wind problem. I have used mine for two years now and have not had any failures on it. packs up pretty darn small two.

You don't have to carry two poles; I don't. I carry one hiking staff and a carbon fiber tent pole (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no) from Six Moons Designs that weighs 1.8 oz.

The Rajd also has O-rings at each beak that can be guyed out to trees instead of using poles. Another option, of course, is to scrounge sticks.

PM Skidsteer, he uses this tent & speaks highly of it.

Not sure the tents usable length, but he is ~6'-4" to 6'-5" IIRC

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23827&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=15354&cutoffdate=-1

Maybe in really tall cowboy boots. :D Otherwise I'm 6' 1" and the Rajd is plenty long for me. I can even put my pack at the foot of my mattress with no trouble.

Yeah, there's a lot of talk of how BAD the Rajd could be but nobody has used it. Except you. So thanks for the head's up. I'd like to hear more about it, especially how it does in pooling ground water and high blizzard type winds(with blowing snow). I'm always willing to give Hilleberg the benefit of the doubt, except lately their prices have been getting mind-numbing. (I paid around $600 for my Staika a couple of years ago and now it's at $745. YIKES). When Hilleberg started in the late 1960s or early 70s their first model was a little A-frame like the Rajd, so its design brings back some sentimental memories. I wonder how different the two are?

I've had the Rajd in pooling ground water(didn't get wet) but no blizzards yet.

I lucked up and got mine very lightly used from a WB member for $120 IIRC. I've been diligently replenishing my Karma ever since then.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Noc%20to%20Dicks%20creek/th_NOCtoDicksCreekJuly2008WineSprin-6.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Noc%20to%20Dicks%20creek/?action=view&current=NOCtoDicksCreekJuly2008WineSprin-6.jpg)

Egads
09-16-2009, 21:04
I've had the Rajd in pooling ground water but no blizzards yet.

We need to test your Rajd & my Soulo during a snowy front next winter

Franco
09-16-2009, 21:16
Family Guy
Yep, if Moontrail have the tent, they are always a good guide on how the tent should look like when correctly set up.
I love those guys and recommended them for Hilleberg purchases to members of a local forum several times.

Franco

Skidsteer
09-16-2009, 21:50
We need to test your Rajd & my Soulo during a snowy front next winter

Yes. Yes we do.

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 23:59
Hey Skid Steer, have you had any unmanageable condensation in the Rajd? Thanks,

Tinker
09-17-2009, 00:29
I was interested in the Rajd at one time, too. I remembered how hot I get in the summer and noticed one glaring design omission: No low level vents. I remember sitting up on a hot summer night just trying to get a breeze to blow across my body because the sidewalls of the "bathtub" floor of the tent I was using prevented the air from reaching me when I was lying down.
Two things I look for: A fly that extends beyond the tent body but doesn't reach the ground - for rain protection and ventilation, and mesh both low down and up high for the "chimney effect" which may be more myth than fact, but I'll vouch for the lower mesh allowing for a more comfortable hot night in the summer (of course a hammock allows the breezes to blow all around you, and you can't do much better than that in hot weather.
I have a Hilleberg, an Akto, and the two things I don't like about it are 1) The ventilation, or lack thereof, mentioned above, and 2) The fact that you have to reach into the corner of the tent to unzip the door, and when you do it lays on the ground.
Are you listening, Hilleberg?

Tipi Walter
09-17-2009, 09:03
I was interested in the Rajd at one time, too. I remembered how hot I get in the summer and noticed one glaring design omission: No low level vents. I remember sitting up on a hot summer night just trying to get a breeze to blow across my body because the sidewalls of the "bathtub" floor of the tent I was using prevented the air from reaching me when I was lying down.
Two things I look for: A fly that extends beyond the tent body but doesn't reach the ground - for rain protection and ventilation, and mesh both low down and up high for the "chimney effect" which may be more myth than fact, but I'll vouch for the lower mesh allowing for a more comfortable hot night in the summer (of course a hammock allows the breezes to blow all around you, and you can't do much better than that in hot weather.
I have a Hilleberg, an Akto, and the two things I don't like about it are 1) The ventilation, or lack thereof, mentioned above, and 2) The fact that you have to reach into the corner of the tent to unzip the door, and when you do it lays on the ground.
Are you listening, Hilleberg?

I've often wondered if Hilleberg is listening. Case in point: When I got my Staika back in 2006, it had 6 umbrella fly attachment hooks which froze up in the winter making them nearly impossible to remove. (And this was supposed to be an arctic-tested tent!) The first two fotogs show the stock toggles, now imagine all of it frozen, the webbing and the ladder buckle and the ring. Crappy.

So after several frustrating winter trips I got into my tent salvage box and found 6 hooks from an old dome tent and sewed them over the old toggles with dental floss and voila!! But here's the point: no one should have to scrounge up old parts for a $700 tent, dangit! And sadly, I emailed Hilleberg about this about a year ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I've talked to some Soulo and Allak owners and they said this flaw has been upgraded on the newer models. I wonder.

None of this has anything to do with the Rajd, but it has alot to do with Hilleberg. Us H fanatics have to swap tales of woe and delight.

FamilyGuy
09-17-2009, 11:08
I wonder if Hilleberg made changes to future production?

Skidsteer
09-17-2009, 11:55
Hey Skid Steer, have you had any unmanageable condensation in the Rajd? Thanks,

No, nothing unmanageable, even when I set up in the open field at the Scales a couple weeks ago.

FamilyGuy
09-17-2009, 16:35
I am a little confused on the length. Some specs say 79", others 100". What is the interior length?

Skidsteer
09-17-2009, 16:39
I am a little confused on the length. Some specs say 79", others 100". What is the interior length?

Hmmm..I don't know. I've never measured it. It has to be longer than 79" though.

100" sounds right; I'll measure it the next time I set it up.

FamilyGuy
09-17-2009, 17:10
Thanks Skids

Frog
09-26-2009, 07:45
My brother used his rajd in a snow storm at Elk Garden one night with winds reaching near 45 mph. It did not hold up well. As it is just a shelter not a tent. It did blow down with him on one side the wind gust just pushed one of the poles over. It was snowing when we arrived and i dont believe he stacked it out as good as he should have. We did have 2 feet of snow the next morning and he was dry so it did do that for him. As far as rain goes we have both had good luck with it. Since there is so much room inside condensation has never given either of us a problem. We both use this as our late spring /summer early fall shelter. Not for recommended for winter use. We have a Nallo GT for that.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2009, 11:07
I just got back from a rainy TN trip in my Hilleberg and gotta say one of the best features of the things are their bombproof triple coated floors. My tent sat in a inch of water for several hours and I didn't have a drop of water come inside. See fotog.