PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a tent

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 11:31
I just got my 3100ci Osprey for SAC, love it! But its on the small side (for me) so I need to make my gear fit the pack. Looking for a new tent now. (Oh, the madness!!:eek:)

It must fit the following criteria:

Freestanding
Double wall (tent AND fly)
Head room to sit upright
Prefer a 2P but will settle for a 1P (I wish they made a 1 1/2P, that would be the perfect size. Prefer to keep pack & gear inside.)
Less than 4# (I know, I know, and I dont want to hear it!)

I am not interested in a tarp, bivy, hammock or any other sleep systems (at this time) so please do not put those suggestions here. I just need help finding a tent that fits my current needs.

Chris_Asheville
11-28-2006, 11:58
Check out the North Face Tephra 22 (109.97)

Marmot Earlylight 2 (149.97)
Marmot Twilight 2 (169.97)
Marmot Nyx 2 (199.97)

I am getting the Nyx for most of the same reasons you have.
All of the prices are from Campmor.com They are the cheapest I've found.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2006, 11:58
Would a Shires Double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html) with the inner wall option (http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbowliner.html)be too 'tarpish'? It is light and would be a palace for one.

Kevin A. Boyce
11-28-2006, 12:12
I see that the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 Tent (05 Model) is still available at REI-Outlet.com for a pretty good price... It is only for one person, but it fits your other requirements....

Footslogger
11-28-2006, 12:18
Sure you won't consider a single walled tent ??

If you get to that point shoot me a PM or e-mail. I have a brand new (never out of the box or set up) Tarptent Double Rainbow that I would be willing to sell.

'Slogger

laniamore
11-28-2006, 12:35
I was looking at the Eureka Spitfire for thru hiking (also looking for a tent)... it's a solo but room for pack, 3-season and 89$ on campmor... Anyone had good/bad experience with Eureka tents?

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 12:38
Check out the North Face Tephra 22 (109.97)

Marmot Earlylight 2 (149.97)
Marmot Twilight 2 (169.97)
Marmot Nyx 2 (199.97)

I am getting the Nyx for most of the same reasons you have.
All of the prices are from Campmor.com They are the cheapest I've found.

from what I can find, these are all over 4 pound tents... wont work for me... Thanks tho!

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 12:41
I was looking at the Eureka Spitfire for thru hiking (also looking for a tent)... it's a solo but room for pack, 3-season and 89$ on campmor... Anyone had good/bad experience with Eureka tents?

Not freestanding and weighs 4# (according to website)

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 12:48
Sure you won't consider a single walled tent ??
'Slogger

I have a Squall2. I spent one night in my front yard and had wayyyy too much condensation for my liking. And now that Im switching to a down sleeping bag, I have to stay as dry as possible.

The BA tents are looking good so far. Will have to do more research...:o UGH

Ewker
11-28-2006, 12:53
MSR Hubba Hubba fits everything but the weight. Packed weight is 4 lbs 11 oz

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2006, 12:57
Given your problem with the Squall2, the DR likely isn't the tent for you. How about the Seirra Designs Lightening (http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=47)? It seems to meet all of you criteria and be large enough for you to keep your gear inside.

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 13:06
Given your problem with the Squall2, the DR likely isn't the tent for you. How about the Seirra Designs Lightening (http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=47)? It seems to meet all of you criteria and be large enough for you to keep your gear inside.

I guess I should have also included that I have and LOVE my Lightning. I just wish it weighed a little less than it does! And took up a tad less space in the pack. Im desperatly trying to make all my stuff fit that 3100 cubes and its tough!

Alligator
11-28-2006, 13:11
Alhikergal-I've always found my tents to major space hogs inside my pack. Is it your plan to put the tent inside the pack? You're not working with a lot of space to begin with.

I often put the tent body between the top lid and main body myself. That's just during the winter because the rest of the year I carry a XXXX or a XXXXXXX:D .

I noticed that the pack has those bottom straps, but I find straps like that only good for sleeping pads, as a tent tends to pull down and back on the pack.

Lacbe
11-28-2006, 13:11
I have a Squall2. I spent one night in my front yard and had wayyyy too much condensation for my liking. And now that Im switching to a down sleeping bag, I have to stay as dry as possible.

The BA tents are looking good so far. Will have to do more research...:o UGH
Great, I was looking at the Squall2 or the Rainbow for my thru next year and I have a down bag. Back to the drawing board?

paulbrown137
11-28-2006, 13:21
there are not many tents that meet your criteria.

sierra designs lightning

big agnes seedhouse sl2 are the ones i know of.

how old is your lightning. the newer version with the aluminum poles packs smaller than the one with carbon poles. mine, with 3 stakes weighs in just under 4 pounds. my older one weighed about 4 and a half.

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 13:21
Great, I was looking at the Squall2 or the Rainbow for my thru next year and I have a down bag. Back to the drawing board?

It may work for you... (HYOH) and I know people who have thru'd with both a tarptent and a down bag. Its just not something I want to deal with. (water & down)

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 13:27
there are not many tents that meet your criteria. Im finding that out!

sierra designs lightning Got that one!

big agnes seedhouse sl2 are the ones i know of. Looking into BA tents

how old is your lightning. the newer version with the aluminum poles packs smaller than the one with carbon poles. mine, with 3 stakes weighs in just under 4 pounds. my older one weighed about 4 and a half.

According to "my" scale, tent, fly, DAC alum. poles, stuff sacks & 6 stakes, Im at 4.425# (70.8 oz) And I havent added in the tyvek sheet...

How do you use just 3 stakes? I know 2 for the vestibule, where you placing the 3rd?

Jim Adams
11-28-2006, 13:37
try an Iota, 5 sq. ft. larger than a Hubba but very similar in design and under 4 lb. i am considering using one for my PCT thru with my sil tarp instead of the fly and still be under 4lb.
i used to do some testing for eureka and the tents are usually ok for the cost however only the high end models will last with daily use and these are too heavy.

bigcranky
11-28-2006, 13:38
ALHikerGal,

May I ask why you are wedded to the idea of a tent for this hike? I ask this because you are trying to stuff a square peg -- a traditional double wall tent -- into a round hole -- a low volume lightweight pack. That's generally a recipe for frustration.

Any hiking style is a system. Traditional backpacking with a 2-person double wall tent, gasoline stove, multiple cookpots, giant inflatable pad, etc., requires a large traditional pack, sturdy boots, and lots of blister pads <grin>. Lightweight backpacking using a pack half the size requires compromise in almost every area, particularly your shelter and sleeping gear. Part of this is weight, as a light pack generally has a lower maximum load, but much of it is just the smaller volume of the pack bag. (I'm talking here about packs like the Atmos, rather than frameless ultralight packs, which require a completely different mindset.)

Simply put, the tent you want will be difficult to fit in your pack, and will limit not only the weight of your other items, but also the volume. I understand that you were unhappy with the performance of your Tarptent (though realize that even double-wall tents get the same condensation -- you just don't see it, since it's on the inside of the fly, not the tent body). Note that there are many hikers in the Southeast, myself included, who have had success with their Tarptents, even with the condensation issue. The advantages of the Tarptent for the lightweight hiker are the lighter weight and the much smaller volume, while keeping the bug and weather protection of a traditional tent. You do give up some performance, but that's a compromise inherent in lightweight hiking.

If you are willing to think completely outside the box, er, tent, I have been very happy using the combination of an 8x10-foot silnylon tarp with a lightweight, breathable bivy sack. Pitched carefully, the tarp provides much more usable covered space than a 2-person tent, and the bivy keeps the bugs off your face and keeps the wind from blowing through your bag. You can easily cook 'inside' your tarp, and you'll find plenty of privacy if you need it. You'll also get great views of sunset and sunrise and any wildlife that happens by. The bivy can be used inside a shelter, where it does a nice job keeping the mice out of your hair, and gives you a place to change. The best part is that the tarp, bivy, guylines, and stakes can be had for well under two pounds, perhaps closer to one pound, and the total cost well under $200 (or much less if you can sew). Check out Titanium Goat (nice bivy) and Mountain Laurel Designs (bivies, tarps).

Like I said above, all of this requires some compromise. There are some terrific advantages to going light, and there are some challenges along the way. Good luck.

bigcranky
11-28-2006, 13:43
I just went back and reread your original post (funny how my short-term memory seem to work sporadically). You can just ignore my last post, since you stated clearly not to suggest tarptents or tarps, etc. Sorry about that.

SGT Rock
11-28-2006, 13:49
I just got my 3100ci Osprey for SAC, love it! But its on the small side (for me) so I need to make my gear fit the pack. Looking for a new tent now. (Oh, the madness!!:eek:)

Freestanding
Head room to sit upright
Prefer a 2P but will settle for a 1P (I wish they made a 1 1/2P, that would be the perfect size. Prefer to keep pack & gear inside.)

I am not interested in a tarp, bivy, hammock or any other sleep systems (at this time) so please do not put those suggestions here. I just need help finding a tent that fits my current needs.

Sounds like it will be made from unobtainium.

Jim Adams
11-28-2006, 13:51
don't carry your tent inside the pack. try putting it in a sil nylon bag and strap it on the lid or place it under the lid of your pack. if it is wet, which it will be , and you put it in the pack, everything inside will also be wet when you get to camp.

Fiddler
11-28-2006, 13:56
I am not familiar with the pack you have, but would it be possible to strap the tent (or perhaps a stuff sack of clothing) to the outside of the pack?

bigcranky
11-28-2006, 13:57

Man, I want some of that stuff.

The Big Agnes Seedhouse SL series generally meet the criteria, with even the SL2 supposedly weighing under 4 pounds. I've never used one, but the reviews I've seen looked pretty good. (See backpackgeartest.org) Me, I like my tarptent for family hikes, and ever lighter and smaller tarps for solo.

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 13:59
But I am laughing, BC, I needed that!

You are on point with the size of the tent vs the size of the pack tho. Thats why Im looking for a different tent, hopefully something smaller. I have truly tried lots of other options. A tent is what works for me. I am really trying to stay with a 2P size, I cant sleep in just one position. I turn several times throughout the nite.

As for condensation... I do get some in the Lightning, but I am not concerned with the slight amount thats there. I pitched (but did not sleep in) the Squall2 in an upcoming storm to see how it faired... Pitched according to directions/prevailing winds etc. and there was standing water on the floor after the storm. Mixing water and down is kind of like mixing ammonia and bleach... you just dont do it!

I wont do just a tarp... its a bug thing!

This is driving me crazy, can I just scream now and get it over with!??!

Ewker
11-28-2006, 14:01
the Hubba is a 1p tent. the vestibule is big enough, it is free standing and it weighs just over 3 lbs.

laniamore
11-28-2006, 14:01
no this one:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39196318&memberId=12500226

it's only 2 lbs...

bigcranky
11-28-2006, 14:09
I've been in some seriously bad storms in the Tarptent, and never had water on the floor afterward. Wow. It must have been raining cats, dogs, cows, and sheep -- sideways.

The bug thing is why I like the bivy, since I can use it under the tarp, inside a shelter, or under the stars.

Good luck.

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 14:18
I am not familiar with the pack you have, but would it be possible to strap the tent (or perhaps a stuff sack of clothing) to the outside of the pack?

I do not like having any unneccessary items on the outside of my pack. Just more places to get caught on... Right now, the only thing thats going on the outside (if I can help it) are my Crocs.

I just got the pack on Monday, and tried to "pack" it as I would for a 3-4 day hike last nite. (Since I had to work all day, I was tired and cranky (no pun intended!) I got my bag, tent, clothes, 1st aid kit and misc stuff in it with (I think) room to spare for kitchen/food bag. I just might be ok and am getting all frustrated over nothing...:mad:

Ok, new question... the stuff sack that my Lightning came in is long/narrow. The pack is not as wide as the tent sack. Would it be worth the ever so slight extra weight to separate the tent and fly into 2 smaller stuff sacks? That may be the solution I need...

K-Man
11-28-2006, 14:23
I think the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 meets all of your criteria. The thing even comes seam taped so it is ready to use right out of the box. I personally hang in my hammock, but my hiking buddy brought this out on our week long hike a couple of weeks ago and was very very very happy with it. He spoke of similar problems dealing with condensation in his tarp tent and had no issues with the SL2. If I were a tenter...I'd rock this tent.

http://bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?id=sh2sl

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 15:03
PS. You know your atmos is a men's pack, right?

So. And your point is...? It fits me properly. Isnt that enough?

SGT Rock
11-28-2006, 15:07
One of Murphy's Laws: If it looks stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid.

copythat
11-28-2006, 15:21
not freestanding, but under 3# with a good-size vestibule ...
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/MSR511

2-person version ... not freestanding, 4# 1oz ...
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/MSR516

how important is freestanding to you?

Footslogger
11-28-2006, 15:26
================================

That might be a little fatalistic. I thru-hiked in 2003 with a single wall silnylon tent AND a down sleeping bag and had no problems.

'Slogger

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 15:33
not freestanding, but under 3# with a good-size vestibule ...
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/MSR511

2-person version ... not freestanding, 4# 1oz ...
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/MSR516

how important is freestanding to you?

After a few "incidents" of pitching the Squall and another non-freestanding tent on what "appeared" to be level ground, then spending the night sliding down, then heaving myself back up the slope allllll night... It was easier to slip and slide all night than to get up, take the tent down, find another location, then re-pitch.. I love my free-stander for the ease of relocation. Plus, some of the areas I hike/camp in are very rocky and not conducive to using stakes...

cannonball
11-28-2006, 15:35
ALgal, I fell your pain. I use a six moon designd lunar solo some times and it is great in terms of weight and packability. It is no match as far as comfort and roomyness compared to my SD lightning.
What I have done to help with the packing problem is -seperate the tent from the fly.role bothe up tightly and stretch rubber bands around them to keep them nice and tightly rolled up. This way you have 2 smaller "packages" as opposed 1 bulky one.
I strapped the poles on the out side of the pack in the back so they wont catch on anything like a branch while I am hiking.
Good luck.

or you could go over to the dark side and get a hamock:eek:

SGT Rock
11-28-2006, 15:38
Shhhhh. She doesn't want to hear the H word...

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 15:49
What I have done to help with the packing problem is -seperate the tent from the fly.role bothe up tightly and stretch rubber bands around them to keep them nice and tightly rolled up. This way you have 2 smaller "packages" as opposed 1 bulky one.
I strapped the poles on the out side of the pack in the back so they wont catch on anything like a branch while I am hiking.
Good luck.
or you could go over to the dark side and get a hamock:eek:

Thats what Im hoping to do; separate the 2 into smaller packages...I think that will work.

Hammock = Dark Side now thats funny!

SGT Rock
11-28-2006, 15:56
You know what the redneck Jedi said to his son?

"Comeon over to the dark side boy, it'll be a hoot!"

Blissful
11-28-2006, 16:13
================================

That might be a little fatalistic. I thru-hiked in 2003 with a single wall silnylon tent AND a down sleeping bag and had no problems.

'Slogger

I will be taking a squall - I was surprised as I found the condensation not that big of a deal. It's pretty well ventilated.

Then again, I'm also lugging my synthetic Marmot Mavericks for the first part of the hike. :) I love that bag.

ARambler
11-28-2006, 16:16
I like your criteria. Let us know what you find. So far the BA Seedhouse tents may be closest. I think the Hubba may be close.

One problem is that you are really trying to find a comprimise, and stating it as criteria. e.g. I want a Hubba Hubba at the weight of a Hubba. Maybe you should figure out if you can get by with a the one person Hubba. It only meets your size requirement if consider the vestibule space equipment room. (How much room do you need after you hang your food, pitch you tent, use a 3/4 pad with the pack at your feet, and only have 3100 cu in to start?) I agree space to sit up and a gap between the down bag and the wall is good.

Since you love your SD Lighting and are still willing to pay for a new tent, why not consider buying carbon fiber poles for the Lighting? How much do the pools weigh? You might cut the weight in half with new poles. The website below does not specifically list the Lightning, so there may be some issues you will need to address.
http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles2B.asp

Good Luck
Rambler

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with the Hubba or carbon poles.

Sly
11-28-2006, 16:27
A little bit of condensation off a single-walled tent or tarp sn't going to affect a down bag. Plus it's best to air dry a down bag in the sunlight once a day or whenever possible.

doodah man
11-28-2006, 16:32

Freestanding
Head room to sit upright

ALHikerGal,
I have not seen any mention of tents by http://www.bigskyproducts.com/ They have a few tents that easily meet all your requirements. In fact, some of the one person versions have tons of room to have your gear inside too. doodah-man

jlb2012
11-28-2006, 16:35
isn't Big Sky Products the same company that had such bad delivery problems - discussed over in TLB forum?

jlb2012
11-28-2006, 16:36
specific reference to Big Sky : http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=99879&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Frosty
11-28-2006, 17:19
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38470366
1p, double wall, internal height 3' 1" not free standing, $89
min wgt=3#
pkg wgt=3# 8 oz

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39199066
1p, double wall, internal hgt 3' 10", not free standing, $189
min wgt=2# 8 oz
pkg wgt=3# 2 oz

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38470424
2p, double wall, internal height 3' 4", free standing, $99
min wgt=4# 2 oz
pkg wgt=4# 10 oz

Minimum Weight (Also known as Trail Weight):
Minimum Weight is the total weight of the tent body, flysheet, and poles only; it is the weight of the bare essentials. This is the figure most often used for comparative purposes when purchasing a tent.

Packaged Weight:
Packaged Weight includes everything that comes with the tent when the tent is purchased (less any shipping container).

I have a Kelty Windfoil (no longer made) I bought 15 years ago. Plenty big enough for me (6' 5", 250#, okay 260#) that weighs four an a half pounds. I converted to floorless tarptents after an episode with a bear, wherein I learned that what I wanted most in a tent was:
a) the ability to surrepticiously raise a side to see what is out there making the noise, and
b) the ability to quickly exit the tent on hte other side

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2006, 18:04
I converted to floorless tarptents after an episode with a bear, wherein I learned that what I wanted most in a tent was:
a) the ability to surrepticiously raise a side to see what is out there making the noise, and
b) the ability to quickly exit the tent on hte other sideLMAO. Most of us a determined to keep the little critters out....

rswanson
11-28-2006, 18:11
After a few "incidents" of pitching the Squall and another non-freestanding tent on what "appeared" to be level ground, then spending the night sliding down, then heaving myself back up the slope allllll night... It was easier to slip and slide all night than to get up, take the tent down, find another location, then re-pitch.. I love my free-stander for the ease of relocation. Plus, some of the areas I hike/camp in are very rocky and not conducive to using stakes...
Every 'freestanding' tent still requires stakes to guy out the vestibules. The SD Lightning you own even requires the rear fly to be staked down to acheive a taut pitch. If you don't stake down the fly on your freestanding tent, you're asking for the same condensation issues you're looking to avoid. Not to mention flapping in high winds.

I've yet to camp in an area that requires a freestanding tent...and that includes camping directly on slickrock with no possibility of staking. You can always guy out to rocks/trees or use trekking poles. Use a tautline hitch and you won't have any more difficulty relocating a tent that needs to be tied down. As for sliding around, pick a level spot! Its either level, or not. For added security, run a few beads of seam sealer across the floor of your shelter. That will eliminate sliding around on very minute angles that your eye might not be able to detect.

I can tell you this...dealing with a non-freestanding option is going to be easier than finding a tent that meets your criteria, unless you go with the Big Sky tent option (which I wouldn't as there are people who have been waiting over a year for their tent and numerous people are considering legal action against Big Sky). I would seriously consider the Tarptent Rainbow with the inner-wall option, as previously mentioned.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2006, 18:18
AHG, before you totally abandon the Squall2 - read this thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8756

Skidsteer
11-28-2006, 18:31
AHG, On the BMT trip I was carrying the Quest knock-off of the BA Seedhouse 2. It weighs 4 lbs but I think BA uses lighter materials so....

One note: If BA uses the same tent pole design as Quest, then the poles will take up more room than you might think. Quest uses a triangular hub fore and aft and, since they're shock-corded, they can be a pain to stow.

On the plus side, I've not had any condensation to speak of in all kinds of weather and all four seasons.

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 18:37
Every 'freestanding' tent still requires stakes to guy out the vestibules. Im aware of that, and thats a circumstance I am willing to deal with.

The SD Lightning you own even requires the rear fly to be staked down to acheive a taut pitch. If you don't stake down the fly on your freestanding tent, you're asking for the same condensation issues you're looking to avoid. Not to mention flapping in high winds. I get plenty of ventilation without staking out the rear of the fly, so its not "required." I get very little condensation with the Lightning.

I've yet to camp in an area that requires a freestanding tent...and that includes camping directly on slickrock with no possibility of staking. You can always guy out to rocks/trees or use trekking poles. Use a tautline hitch and you won't have any more difficulty relocating a tent that needs to be tied down. As for sliding around, pick a level spot! The TOP of the grass WAS level. The ground was not. So unless I excavate each campsite, its not always easy to find a level site.

Its either level, or not. For added security, run a few beads of seam sealer across the floor of your shelter. That will eliminate sliding around on very minute angles that your eye might not be able to detect. Did that. Didnt work.

I can tell you this...dealing with a non-freestanding option is going to be easier than finding a tent that meets your criteria, (In your opinion) unless you go with the Big Sky tent option (which I wouldn't as there are people who have been waiting over a year for their tent and numerous people are considering legal action against Big Sky). I would seriously consider the Tarptent Rainbow with the inner-wall option, as previously mentioned. And as previously stated, I dont want a(nother) tarp tent. It just does not work for me...

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 18:40
b) the ability to quickly exit the tent on hte other side

That was good for a belly laugh! But I still think I want to keep the little buggers out. I guess I'll have to worry about a speedy exit when that happens.

rswanson
11-28-2006, 18:42
And as previously stated, I dont want a(nother) tarp tent. It just does not work for me...
Well, on the plus side you won't have any problems selling your Squall at close to what you paid for it. Good luck in your quest and make sure to report back to us with your solution!

Cuffs
11-28-2006, 18:48
Well, on the plus side you won't have any problems selling your Squall at close to what you paid for it. Good luck in your quest and make sure to report back to us with your solution!

I wish! I tried to sell it here AND on ebay... Everyone wants the bargain of a lifetime and offered nothing more than 1/2 of the cost... Want to buy a Squall?

Skidsteer
11-28-2006, 18:50
I wish! I tried to sell it here AND on ebay... Everyone wants the bargain of a lifetime and offered nothing more than 1/2 of the cost... Want to buy a Squall?

I'll trade you my Quest/BA Seedhouse 2 knockoff for it. :p

rswanson
11-28-2006, 19:40
You're kidding me! Henry's MSRP is $195 so you're saying that no one would give you more than $100? What were you asking and what sort of shape was the Squall in?

I considered the Squall and Virga, until the Contrail came out. I don't need a 2 person shelter; I have that angle covered.

Cherokee Bill
11-28-2006, 21:41
:eek: AT 60-yo I have been backpacking for 21-years. I have a tent that I have used for almost that long, with absolutly NO problems & never a leak (I keep it clean and treated). It weighs in at 4-lbs.

Now, I am preparing for retirement in 6-years, being 66-yo at the time and will be part of the "AT" Class of 2013.

HOURS of research has led me to a generally agreed to point by most past "Thru-hikers", saying to keep the pack/tent/bag total weight at 10-lbs.

Switching (after 21-years) from an ext. to an int. frame pack, as well as a down-bag, I/we need to locate a double-wall, free-standing, one-man tent @ under 3-lbs., with decent reviews.

So, lets band together and research this stuff, as there are many, many tents out there. Remember, pack (4000ci)/tent/bag @ 10-lbs max.

Ready for the challenge?:D

bigcranky
11-28-2006, 22:27
So, lets band together and research this stuff, as there are many, many tents out there. Remember, pack (4000ci)/tent/bag @ 10-lbs max.

I'd say you weren't aiming low enough. It's quite possible to have a 4000ci pack with a real suspension, a tent with a floor and bug protection, and a 20-F sleeping bag for less than five pounds. (Six Moons Designs Starlite, Gossamer Gear SpinnSquall, Western Mountaineering Ultralite.)

If you absolutely have to have a double-wall tent, swap out for a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, which adds a pound and a half. That's still sub-6.5 for the big three.

If you can get your head around the ultralight tarp/bivy setup, you can shave another half pound from the original set. At that point, you may be a candidate for a half-pound frameless ruck, saving another pound, thus putting the big three at <3 pounds total. (At this point you are a total gram-weenie gearhead and need a 12-step program.)

Egads
11-28-2006, 22:29
BA SL 2 would be my 1st choice

MSR Fling would be my 2nd even though it does not meet all your criteria

Sleeping capacity 2
Average minimum weight 3 lbs. 6 oz.
Average packaged weight 4 lbs.
Floor dimensions 80 x 70 inches
Floor area 32 square feet
Peak height 40 inches

*This single-wall tent has a minimum weight of just 3 lbs. 6 oz

*Generous floor plan sleeps two with room for gear

*Optional top pole makes the tent freestanding, or you can leave it at home to save travel weight

*Without the top/ridge pole, it stakes out from the catenary-cut front and rear awnings

*Awning-protected entry provides room for two to prepare food or simply enjoy the view--even in nasty weather

*Generous mesh at the rear of the tent, along both sides and on the front door allow tent to breathe extremely well for a single-wall tent

*Innovative side vents contribute to generous airflow and allow condensation to escape

*Silicon/polyurethane-treated, 30-denier nylon ripstop and fully taped seam sealing offers waterproof security

You can always try out a HH:banana

BTW how is the MontBell? Which one did you go with?

Frosty
11-28-2006, 22:57
under[/B] 3-lbs., with decent reviews.

So, lets band together and research this stuff, as there are many, many tents out there. I doubt you can gather the materials for this, even with silnylon and graphite, for under three pounds. You will need to have two tent shells (inner and fly) and a floor (necessary for free standing) and the extra poles at least looping corner to corner for free standing. You start adding the weights of materials and it will be over 3 pounds.

Going ultralight requires trade-offs. You can't have all the bells and whistles and still get the weight down.

What I am wondering is why you are insisting on a free standing tent. What is the purpose of that? You can set up a non-free-standing tent anywhere. I've set my tarptent up on tent platforms by tieing my lines to twigs and jamming the twigs between the floorboards or using hooks/nails left by other hikers.

Blissful
11-29-2006, 00:11
:eek: AT 60-yo I have been backpacking for 21-years. I have a tent that I have used for almost that long, with absolutly NO problems & never a leak (I keep it clean and treated). It weighs in at 4-lbs.

Now, I am preparing for retirement in 6-years, being 66-yo at the time and will be part of the "AT" Class of 2013.

HOURS of research has led me to a generally agreed to point by most past "Thru-hikers", saying to keep the pack/tent/bag total weight at 10-lbs.

Switching (after 21-years) from an ext. to an int. frame pack, as well as a down-bag, I/we need to locate a double-wall, free-standing, one-man tent @ under 3-lbs., with decent reviews.

I'd wait on that one. A lot can happen in design, etc in six years. In fact I wouldn't even bother to get any gear for a thru until starting maybe a year before the start date. Most of my stuff I got 3-4 years ago I sold. Except ye old pack.

copythat
11-29-2006, 03:11
msr still sells the zoid 1.5 in europe. i found a few places it's available, with prices ranging from U$283 to U$325, but i can't get the sites to show the shipping. (delivery seems to be under 10 days to the states.)

here's one, but just google "zoid 1.5" and ignore all the .com .org sites (all u.s., where the tent is longer available.)

http://tinyurl.com/u7l2c

happy hunting!

ARambler
11-29-2006, 14:38
msr still sells the zoid 1.5 in europe. i found a few places it's available, with prices ranging from U$283 to U$325, but i can't get the sites to show the shipping. (delivery seems to be under 10 days to the states.)

here's one, but just google "zoid 1.5" and ignore all the .com .org sites (all u.s., where the tent is longer available.)

http://tinyurl.com/u7l2c

happy hunting!

I don't think the ziod is free standing like the Hubba and Hubba hubba. If you drop the freestanding requirement, there are dozens of tents available.
Rambler

PS ... and the msr Fling is single wall.

Footslogger
11-29-2006, 14:52
[quote=ARambler;278105]I don't think the ziod is free standing like the Hubba and Hubba hubba.
=================================

You are correct. The Zoids have a large and small arch pole and in order to keep the tent standing the two ends must be pulled taut and staked ( as well as the sides)

I recently sold an orginal Zoid l (Pre MSR - sold by Walrus). It was a great little solo tent and came in just under 3 lbs with poles and stakes. I just wasn't using it any more and someone made me a reasonable offer.

Great little tents but NO ...they are NOT free standing.

'Slogger

Cuffs
11-29-2006, 18:01

I think you are right.

Between working and surfing, (more surfing than working!) I could not find ANYthing that meets what Im looking for. I guess splitting up the tent and fly into 2 stuff sacks is what Im going to have to do.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Maybe (secretly) tent manufacturers are reading this and will design (me) a tent that fits my needs. And from the looks of it, there are others looking too...?:-?

EMAN
12-03-2006, 10:25
AHG
For what it's worth, I use a Summit 2P from Big Sky tents. Admittedly, I have had some problems with it but I got one of the 1st and they are offfering me a discounted rate on a 5th or 6th gen model. It has dead end sleeves so the poles just slide through and attach in opposing holes at the corners. Freestanding, under 4 lbs I think it's rated as 3lbs, 11oz but is lighter with carbon fiber poles..I still prefer aluminum..., 2 doors, 2 vestibules, internal mesh storage. I reckon the only thing you might have against it though I sleep colder more comfortably than most, is that the tent area is mostly mesh (reduces the weight) and is covered by the fly. I have never actually staked the thing down but I have also never been in a high wind situation. The fly attaches via velcro and I usually do stake it out. Nonetheless, I am usually in my tent in bag before most folks are done staking and tying.
These folks also make a 2P model with 1 door and 1 vestibule. If I repurchase another of these tents, I may go with this one as it is even lighter.

rswanson
12-04-2006, 14:55
Anyone thinking about ordering from Big Sky should read the following threads before committing. Many have been waiting a year or so for product and many who have requested refunds are still waiting for those, too.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4250/index.htm

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/2700/index.htmll

NECKBONE
12-06-2006, 12:25
I use both a 3100 in. pack & a S.D. Lightning. It can be done. Take two small Sea To Summit compression bags and put the tent body in one & the footprint & fly in the other; and compress (it won't hurt it). Carry the poles on the outside of your pack. I use this for a six day hike.
Neckbone

Cuffs
12-06-2006, 21:08
I use both a 3100 in. pack & a S.D. Lightning. It can be done. Take two small Sea To Summit compression bags and put the tent body in one & the footprint & fly in the other; and compress (it won't hurt it). Carry the poles on the outside of your pack. I use this for a six day hike.
Neckbone

Hey, now theres some good news! I have yards and yards of WM rip-stop material, going to try to make the stuff sacks first, before spending any more $$$...

Thanks NB!

NECKBONE
12-07-2006, 10:44
Just remember, use compression sacks, not stuff sacks.
Neckbone

Grinder
12-07-2006, 17:39
I haven't read every post but,I haven't seen this tent mentioned:

Coleman Peak 1 aries 2. Recommended by Sgt Rock
currently available new from Campmor for $69.95 +Shipping.

Looks like the r4eal deal for a fair price

Tom

Cuffs
12-07-2006, 17:47
I haven't read every post but,I haven't seen this tent mentioned:

Coleman Peak 1 aries 2. Recommended by Sgt Rock
currently available new from Campmor for $69.95 +Shipping.

Looks like the r4eal deal for a fair price

Tom

its over 5 pounds...

troglobil
12-07-2006, 17:52
Copythat, your link doesn't work.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 18:11
Copythat, your link doesn't work.

http://www.westerlypeaks.com/acatalog/Zoid_1.5.html

troglobil
12-07-2006, 18:53
thats better thanks, I feel that you signature above was directed at me. How did you know I tried 5 times?

copythat
12-08-2006, 00:06
http://www.westerlypeaks.com/acatalog/Zoid_1.5.html

thanks for fixing that.

(what do you suppose "highlight anchor corrupt" means? can't they speak english?!)

Skidsteer
12-08-2006, 00:09
thats better thanks, I feel that you signature above was directed at me. How did you know I tried 5 times?

thanks for fixing that.

(what do you suppose "highlight anchor corrupt" means? can't they speak english?!)

No Problem. :)

rafe
12-08-2006, 09:53
Freestanding
Head room to sit upright

Freestanding and double-walled: Look at the Big Agnes SL2 and MSR Hubba Hubba, and possibly one of several by Sierra Designs. Clip Flashlight is a perennial favorite -- very light, and quick setup -- but not freestanding. Big Sky Evolution 2P gets good reviews, but by some (or many) accounts is vaporware. Montbell has light, double-walled 2P tents but I've never seen one in the flesh.

If you want to save serious weight (in a tent) go single-walled and have a look at the TarpTents.

rafe
12-08-2006, 10:03

I've done about 1500 miles of AT with a 17 year old Eureka Gossamer. It's been great. It's tiny, but light. Never once got wet in it. Can't get that model any more, the Solitaire seems to be its closest replacement. I bought a Eureka Spitfire UL from Campmor and returned it a couple of days later -- not a good design, IMO. I'd go with the regular Spitfire, or MSR Zoid/MicroZoid...

Well, actually, I've just ordered a Tarptent Rainbow. It will be my first-ever single-walled tent. Hoping I can make do. I was also very impressed with the Big Agnes SL1 -- a lot of tent for 36 oz.

shoe
12-23-2006, 16:59
AL Gal,

I feel your pain in the search because your tent criteria are the exact same as mine. I am not doing a through hike. My longest hike will be 2 weeks coming up in April. I ended up going with the REI Quarterdome. On my scale it comes out to 4 pounds 1 ounce. It has become my home away from home. I don't know that it would be a bid enough difference between the Lightening. I looked at that one also but got the QD because it was on sale, and it has 2 side doors.

My goal this year is to buy a non free standing solo tent and see how I do with that. I thrash around alot when I sleep so I don't know how that's going to work out.

ric2hunt
12-24-2006, 11:27
I have the Rainbow and have spent many nights on the trail in this tent with a W/M bag. I had no problems with condensation- it is easy to set up and weighs in at 25 oz. www.tarptents.com (http://www.tarptents.com) It is great and will go to the Grand Canyon with me.

Frog
12-25-2006, 08:45
Any double wall tent with room to sit up is probably going to take up a lot of room. I myself have been with this delima too. ive tried the single wall golite trig 2 roomy but in a hard rain i did have some issues with moisture. The zoid 1 will keep you dry in a hard rain but not enough head room. My brother has a hilleberg rajd. Great tent but single wall. I just bought the rei quater dome ul 4 lbs two doors. I divided the tent into different stuff sacks to help elemenate the bulk. For a thru hike i really would look into the rajd it sits up really easy takes hardly no room in a pack and is roomy enough so that you want be touching the sides or top so condensation want be as big a problem as i have seen in most single wall tents.

rafe
12-25-2006, 09:15
Having received and set up my Rainbow, I'm feeling more comfortable about it. It meets all the OP's criteria except "double wall" and has lots more floor space and height than I've ever enjoyed in a lightweight solo backpacking tent. This one has the sewn-in floor, and weighs exactly 32 oz with its stuff sacks and the four supplied stakes.

The vestibule side of the tent is essentially "double wall" -- ie., a mesh inner wall, large air space, nylon outer wall. I'm guessing it will ventilate very well.

EMAN
12-25-2006, 15:46
Have to admit, I agree with the previous post about Summit tents. Had one for less than a year and it kind of went to hell, one door zipper malfunctioning on the 2nd use and a guide out breaking on the BMT trail section we did. And their customer sevice pretty much blows (See a review on them I did here on another post).
I bought the 1/4 Dome. Has the same dead end sleeve set up. Sets up in minutes. A bit heavier than the Summit but it has a bit more material too. A little more protection from the elements that may blow up under the fly.
And it's REI. Don't like it, take it back.

OntheRoad
01-03-2007, 13:33
I use a Sierra Designs Lightyear tent. Although it is not freestanding, it is double walled, has enough room to sit up in it, and is under 3#!

For $130 I think it's a great deal and a very solid tent(bathtub floors too). But once again, it isn't freestanding.