PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Crestone vs. Eureka Spitfire?

ssalwier
11-28-2006, 16:39
So I've done quite a bit of online research and think I'm leaning toward one of these models for my thru, but I'd like some input from those with AT experience. They are essentially the same design, with similar weight and pack size, though the Eureka is a bit longer (as am I at 6'4"), and the Kelty has a slightly larger vestibule (which I kinda like). They are both pretty inexpensive as well, which I really like.

Does anybody have any strong positive or negative feelings about either one of these tents, or either one of these companies?

Thanks for the input. -steve

laniamore
11-28-2006, 17:05
I've always had good experience with Kelty products - but I'm also looking for a thru tent and someone suggested the Spitfire UL as well.

DareN
11-28-2006, 17:45
Go to BPL.com and check out the reader reviews for the Spitfire UL under the double wall tents section. I just looked at it and remembered reading it a while back, and it didn't get a good review at all because of all the condensation. I personally haven't used either, and it's only one persons opinion, but anyway check it out.

d2m
11-29-2006, 00:36
I used a eureka exo on my thru hike this past summer . and that tent held up very well . I used it about 75% of the time, with no ground cloth. I'm sure i could use it for a couple more long hikes. i did'nt see many eureka or kelty tents this summer. i'd say the most popular was the msr hubba
long haul 06

kyhipo
11-29-2006, 08:06
I have not used the eureka tents,but have used kelty packs and tents my clark lasted for 3yrs and was a great tent.ky