PDA

View Full Version : PETpeeves

psuruns10
09-17-2002, 17:23
Whats everyones petpeeves when they are out on the trail.

Personally

Gearhounds get under my skin. Wondering what kinda of gear i have how heavey it is. Telling me i should buy this or that.

For me hiking is about being on the trail wether its with my cheap tent and cheap EMS back pack. Good for you if you can afford the 1.5 pound sleeping back. But for me right now i am that poor college student enjoying the trails of the earth.

PSU'S BACK
JIBBERISH

chris
09-17-2002, 17:42
I must say that nothing really bothers me when I am outdoors. As close as it comes are wet dogs and loud kids. Just something relaxing about being out of doors. Everything is just pretty casual.

Singletrack
09-17-2002, 20:15
Its the Hikers that sleep until noon, and show up at the shelter around 9 or 10 pm. (after dark) and shine their lights everywhere trying to cook and setting up their sleeping bags. Constantly saying, Sorry Dude!

SGT Rock
09-17-2002, 20:54
Pet peeves, well I have a few, but things being relative, I try not to let them bother me.

1. Liter, especially around shelters, and especialy surfaced laid mines with the white engineer tape.

2. White lights, especially the super bright headlamps shinning right into my face.

3. Gearheads, especially the condecending ones that assume I need help making hot water since I'm not carrying a "real" stove. It isn't just the stove, but I have gotten this a few times. I'm also not interested in full stes of lexan dishes, ovens, field expresso machines, etc, etc etc.

4. Cell phones. I really hate it when people think it wil impress me to show me the satus bar on their cell phone while in the wilderness. They think I will be impressed by how smart they are because their phone gets reception.

5. GPS devices. I am also less than impressed by these devices.

I guess that 4 and 5 are should also be under Gearheads.

6. People that think there should be roads to anywhere they want to go. My in-laws think it is some sort of conspiracy because they can't take their motor home anywhere I can walk. Telling them about a great view from a mountain is asking for a lecture on how a public lands are being used improperly because a road for anyone that wants to go is not present. "It isn't fair!"

7. Dogs off leash on the trail, especially the ones that growel at me for no good reason.

8. Loud radios in the wilderness. Take it back to the highway please.

attroll
09-18-2002, 00:01
I would have to say "know it alls". Maybe that falls under gear heads. But I don't like staying at a shelter or campsite and listening to one person who thinks he knows everything.

Peaks
09-18-2002, 06:53
Pet Peeves, yes, I tend to agree with Rock. First, I try not to let the habits of others bother me. And I don't like to see liter anywhere, especially around shelters and in fire pits. Why are people so inconsiderate that they don't pack out what they packed in? No one likes to see "surface mines."

And certainly people who show up after dark disturb everyone else in the shelter. (I don't care how late they sleep in the morning. I'm up and gone.) Maybe this habit of mine is there pet peeve.

But, I think the one that bugs me the most is people who yellow blaze and contend that they are doing a thru-hike.

EarlyRiser
09-19-2002, 15:47
Mine is people who dont have respect for their surroundings, whether its the people or nature or whatever. i really cant stand seeing the Leave No Trace guidlines ignored. especialy if its blatently ignored.

but i have to agree with everyone else as well those can be very annoying.

chris
09-19-2002, 16:04
It seems like there are a lot of Petpeeves for people on this list. What happenned to going outdoors to relax? If there is a bunch of trash in a fire pit, so what? Haul out what you can, if you can. Foolish gear heads? Listen, smile, and do your own thing. Of course, if you want to be snotty, you can always ask them if their new GPS is going to haul them over the next mountain.

Peaks
09-19-2002, 16:24
Chris,

I think that most of us are very tolerant of others out on the trail. I suspect that we all subscribe to the hike your own hike concept. However, that's not to say that in our hearts we don't wish that others wouldn't leave trash in the fire pit, bring along their dog, etc.

chris
09-19-2002, 18:27
In general, almost all the long distance hikers I meet out of doors (even if they are just out for a day hike) are pretty tolerant. Quiet, friendly when spoken with, helpful, etc. But, tolerance in one sense is how we relate with, and behave around, others. It is an outward expression. This is not quite what I am refering to above.
For example, one can be very tolerant of an ill prepared hiker, but inside be boiling inside with anger at having to give up a warm jacket to save them from hypothermia. What I meant in my previous posts was being at being at peace both internally and externally. This is what I try to shoot for. I don't always succeed (in particular with wet dogs and loud kids), but the more time I spend out of doors, the more internal peace I feel, especially in the face of the colossal thoughtlessness that is sometimes encountered.

Uncle Wayne
09-25-2002, 08:08
Hard to put these in any order but here is my Top 10 list:

1. Dogs in the shelter.
2. Dogs on the trail.
3. Smokers in the shelter.
4. Litter bugs.
5. Horses on the trail.
6. Cell phones in the shelter.
7. Tents set up in the shelter.
8. Hikers who don't shower when they have the opportunity.
9. Shelter mate who puts cheese around your sleeping bag after you are asleep.
10. Hikers who don't tip after an AYCE meal.

Kerosene
09-25-2002, 11:34
Uncle Wayne - Tell us more about the shelter mate who puts cheese around your sleeping bag after you fall asleep! Enquiring minds want to know!

MOWGLI
09-25-2002, 12:22
My pet peeve? People who have pet peeves.

Uncle Wayne
09-26-2002, 01:41
Originally posted by Kerosene
Uncle Wayne - Tell us more about the shelter mate who puts cheese around your sleeping bag after you fall asleep! Enquiring minds want to know!

Hi Kerosene,

That's a tried and true method to keep the shelter mice away from your sleeping bag. At a shelter in NC, the first one going south from Fontana, (believe it is Cable Gap ?), the register had an entry warning that the shelter was overrun by mice. My son and I were tenting and the next morning one of us asked the guys who stayed in the shelter about the mice. Of the 5 only one was bothered by mice and he said they kept him awake all night. He complained they were all over him and he finally moved out of the shelter and slept on the ground. As it turned out, he was the one they had put the cheese around his sleeping bag! I don't know if he ever found out why the mice bothered him so much but I always think about it whenever someone mentions mice in the shelters. Not really a pet peeve, I just included it in my list.

MedicineMan
10-01-2002, 00:25
Not many, really only two on the AT....those that 'know it all' and give lectures in the shelters that you are forced to stay in in the Smokies...can you say stealth camping? OK I promise not too but you have to admit (especially if you have been in the Smokies in the last year or so) that the shelters there are horrid.

chris
10-01-2002, 08:15
The shelters in the Smokys are wonderful! I was alone in two of the four shelters I stayed at when I rumbled through on my way to Damascus last May. I would suspect that the shelters are rather bad during the main NOBO thru hiker time and during spring break. I'm was told by a park worker that during spring break a cluster of 25 people camping around a shelter is all too common. Might as well camp in a Walmart parking lot.

mntman777
10-25-2002, 15:16
I agree with Uncle Wayne on the pet peeves list. As for those who think they don't have pet peeves, what world do you live in?

Mom Lamb
11-02-2002, 06:11
Uncle Wayne wrote: 10. Hikers who don't tip after an AYCE meal.

Um, showing my ignorance here, What's an AYCE meal? And what kind of tip is a reasonable tip?

Thanks.:)

Peaks
11-02-2002, 08:55
On an extended hike, you develop an huge appetite, and tend to pig out at places that offer AYCE. I characterize it as eating like a teenager.

The Weasel
11-02-2002, 09:33
AYCE= "All you can eat." Shoneys, usually.

The Weasel

Mom Lamb
11-03-2002, 01:31
Of course! (slaps forhead). All you can eat! Gotcha. Thanks

The things you learn.....:D

ruckman1968
11-15-2003, 17:57
ahhhh, pet peeves, my favorite topic!
1. smoking in the shelters
2. snorers (since they kept me up, i had no qualms-since i was already awake-about nudging them till they woke up and quit snoring) fair is fair.
3. some hikers who ask what time it is, when they purposely didnt bring a watch..."what time is it?" me>"youd know if you had a watch, wouldnt you?"
4. the "smoke weed" graffiti in every shelter from ga to at least pa. and then he doesnt leave any to smoke!
5. hearing some hikers when they see mt washington from a distance and say "that is so wrong that they put that 'stuff' up there. its so ugly". umm, they wouldnt even know it WAS mt washington if it WASNT there. HELLO!
6. when hikers, or dayhikers, or whoever it is, set up tents INSIDE the shelters so theres no room for more people.
7. reading "peace" and "love" in the shelter registers. why not "war, death and destruction"?

thats all i can think of right now. more to come...

mdionne
11-15-2003, 18:06
people that talk about miles they have to do

people that talk about miles they want to do

people that talk about miles they did

people that talk about miles they are going to do

how many miles does it take to shut people up

Footslogger
11-15-2003, 18:34
Yeah ...I gotta go with the "litter" comment here. Nothing gets under my skin more than to enter a campsite or shelter area and find food left behind within the shelter itself or a big pile of trash in the fire ring.

RagingHampster
11-15-2003, 18:48
I usually socialize at the shelters, have dinner, and move down the trail to camp. Exceptions are wind/rain storms, which I suffer through under a solid roof if available.

I must agree with Chris that seeking inner peace and intense thought is what I enjoy about putting one foot in front of the other. Simplified. But if I must make a list, this would be it...

1. Trash/food on the trail or in shelters.
2. Anybody who trys to preach anything religious or political from any angle.
3. Snots who won't make room for others at shelters during storms.
4. Defiling trail signs/shelters, graffiti or otherwise.
5. Noisy people after dark or before sunrise.

Thats about it :-?

alpine
11-18-2003, 06:25
with drawn

Alligator
11-18-2003, 14:54
1. People who leave religious materials in the shelters.
2. People who leave business materials in the shelters.
3. People who are huddled in their sleeping bags in the shelter, down for the count at 6:00.
4. People who get up at 5:00, eat a cold breakfast (or none), and end up in their sleeping bags at 6:00 p.m. at the next shelter.
5. People who forego the normal pleasure of food variety and quality to be gram counting weenies. "I don't carry a stove to save weight."
6. Gram counting weenies with a couple of bandaids as a med-kit.
7. People who don't carry enough water to stay hydrated, like a guy I read about only carrying .5 liter of water.
8. Ultralight hikers applying pushing lightweight hiking without having real concepts of the hazards of winter.
9. Groups larger than 10 individuals (aka as Boy Scouts).
10. I hate it when there's no hot hiker babe at the shelter waiting to message my poor feet at the end of the day. :datz

Don't worry, I know I can be bitter. My anti-social tendencies, late in the day hiking routine, late night reading, and loud snoring are all factors in my decision to never sleep in a shelter that is currently occupied. Lightweight hiking is good, but some of you folks are just masochists role-playing as hikers :bse

chknfngrs
11-18-2003, 15:05
irresponsible smoking outdoors, in the wilderness.

it's a liability, it's nasty, disgusting, and wholly unattractive.

RedneckRye
11-18-2003, 15:07
ATV's and Motorcycles.

Jack Tarlin
11-18-2003, 15:55
Whiners and chronic complainers.

In no partricular order:

*People who whine about the miles they just did, forgetting the fact that everyone they're whining to just walked the same miles and isn't bitching about it.

*People who whine about the day's weather forgetting that everyone else just walked thru the same rain, cold, sleet, etc.

*People who whine about their food, forgetting that THEY'RE the ones who either picked out their own stuff beforehand or just bought it a few days back; they also forget that everyone's basically eating the same stuff, so who wants to hear about how boring ramen, pasta, etc. is getting....

*People who whine about their gear, even tho they picked it out, or forgot to maintain it, or didn't bother replacing it once they realized they were unhappy with it

*People who whine about outfitters, weekenders, sectioners, etc. not treating them deferentially enough because they think that as thru-hikers, they're entitled to special treatment and privileges.

*People who whine about other hikers, especially when they eaither say things about other hikers, or put nasty stuff in registers that they'd never have the gumption to say to the person's face.

*People who whine about Trail conditions and maintenance, especially when they've never done any themselves.

*People who whine about Trail facilities, businesses, shelters, hostels, etc., like they expected every place they go to to be a four-star hotel

*People who whine about their physical ailments and complaints, forgetting that just about everyone has problems of their own, often the same ones, and often worse ones than the guy doing the whining.

*People who whine about the people they're camping/sheltering with, forgetting that THEY chose to camp/stay with these folks.

*People who whine about their pack weight even tho they've had repeated opportunities to do something about it.

*People who whine about how other people choose to hike, whether it's speed hiking, lots of time off, slackpacking, etc. Folks who bitch about other's people's hikes are generally having lousy ones of their own

*People who whine about not getting enough trail magic, or aren't satisfied with the caliber of the magic they receive.

*People who do any of the above after the first few weeks on the Trail when they should know better and should also have enough sense to realize that nobody cares.

I could go on, but this is getting depressing!

manzana
11-18-2003, 16:26
The maddest I ever got on the Trail was in the Smokies. A Ridgerunner was making a nuisance of himself. I saw an elder lady crying after he lectured her about burning trash. He then threatened to arrest people. I understand he is now used as a "bad example" in Ridgerunner Class. All of the other Ridgerunners I have met were great, though.

manzana

DebW
11-18-2003, 16:28
And then there are people who whine about people who whine. :D Sorry Jack, that was hard to resist.

Mike Drinkuth
11-18-2003, 17:55
two words...crack rash...UGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

mntman777
11-18-2003, 20:42
1. People who leave religious materials in the shelters.
2. People who leave business materials in the shelters.
3. People who are huddled in their sleeping bags in the shelter, down for the count at 6:00.
4. People who get up at 5:00, eat a cold breakfast (or none), and end up in their sleeping bags at 6:00 p.m. at the next shelter.
5. People who forego the normal pleasure of food variety and quality to be gram counting weenies. "I don't carry a stove to save weight."
6. Gram counting weenies with a couple of bandaids as a med-kit.
7. People who don't carry enough water to stay hydrated, like a guy I read about only carrying .5 liter of water.
8. Ultralight hikers applying pushing lightweight hiking without having real concepts of the hazards of winter.
9. Groups larger than 10 individuals (aka as Boy Scouts).
10. I hate it when there's no hot hiker babe at the shelter waiting to message my poor feet at the end of the day. :datz

Don't worry, I know I can be bitter. My anti-social tendencies, late in the day hiking routine, late night reading, and loud snoring are all factors in my decision to never sleep in a shelter that is currently occupied. Lightweight hiking is good, but some of you folks are just masochists role-playing as hikers :bseso what do you have against religious material? You don,t have to read it.

Blue Jay
11-19-2003, 08:56
so what do you have against religious material? You don,t have to read it.

I love religious or business material in shelters. Then I don't have to use my toilet paper to start a fire. What I hate is those freaken Hawks and Crows

smokymtnsteve
11-19-2003, 10:05
I love religious or business material in shelters. Then I don't have to use my toilet paper to start a fire. What I hate is those freaken Hawks and Crows

and cats blue jay ..bet your scared of cats

Blue Jay
11-19-2003, 10:23
and cats blue jay ..bet your scared of cats

No, they're fun. You fly down and peck em on the head when they're not looking. It's still those freaken purist crows. Always, breack, breack, you missed a blaze (but we don't care).

Alligator
11-19-2003, 10:32
There are several reasons I don't like religious materials in the shelters.
1. First and foremost, anything not bound, such as pamphlets and newsletters is basically litter. It blows around and gets chewed up by mice. I do not hesitate to burn non-bound material. (I do not burn bibles, but they don't belong in the shelter.) LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT.
2. The AT is, in my opinion, similar to a national park. If someone was going around leaving pamphlets on picnic tables at the parks, I would hazard a guess and say they would be stopped, probably for littering.
3. I don't like people who are so consumed by their religion that they their way is the only way to go and have an overwhelming need to broadcast that fact. If only one denomination is right, I guess most of us are going to hell. Somehow though, that doesn't jibe with the kind benevolent God that many of us believe in.
4. The shelters are not public bulletin boards. There's no cork wall and thumbtacks.
5. In case I didn't mention it, LEAVE NO TRACE. The number one commandment in the backcountry.

RagingHampster
11-19-2003, 11:39
I love religious or business material in shelters. Then I don't have to use my toilet paper to start a fire.

Hahahahahahahaha! :p

Matt Pincham
11-19-2003, 13:30
There are several reasons I don't like religious materials in the shelters.
1. First and foremost, anything not bound, such as pamphlets and newsletters is basically litter. It blows around and gets chewed up by mice. I do not hesitate to burn non-bound material. (I do not burn bibles, but they don't belong in the shelter.) LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT LNT.
2. The AT is, in my opinion, similar to a national park. If someone was going around leaving pamphlets on picnic tables at the parks, I would hazard a guess and say they would be stopped, probably for littering.
3. I don't like people who are so consumed by their religion that they their way is the only way to go and have an overwhelming need to broadcast that fact. If only one denomination is right, I guess most of us are going to hell. Somehow though, that doesn't jibe with the kind benevolent God that many of us believe in.
4. The shelters are not public bulletin boards. There's no cork wall and thumbtacks.
5. In case I didn't mention it, LEAVE NO TRACE. The number one commandment in the backcountry.

Amen to that.
Religion plays no part in my life and I'm perfectly happy without it. Religious writings don't really offend me...but like people say...it all becomes litter eventually.

With regard to Pet Peeves. After reading this thread, hiking the AT seems like a lesson in self control. I'll be constantly trying not to show my true feelings through the medium of shouting and swearing. I'm really not looking forward to meeting a 'know-it-all'

greyowl
11-19-2003, 15:21
Thru-hikers who think that because they are thru hikers they are empowered to do whatever they damn will please. Of course by the time they reach PA most of those jerks have gotten off of the trail.

Oh and I hate the stupid smilies on this site, especially the animated ones.

Peace and Love, Umbrellas and cell Phones.

Grey Owl

I was in a lot worse mood, but I was able to stomp through the woods this past weekend.

mntman777
11-19-2003, 16:02
While I agree that the literature will become litter. I must say I think there are other reasons for your comments about religious material, that are being avoided. In my experiance the number one reason for avoiding this topic is lack of knowledge. I'll leave it at that, and also say that one of my biggest pet peeves are people who think they know so much about something as to give such a harsh opinion, or those that think they know everything.

RagingHampster
11-19-2003, 16:35
Personally I don't believe Religion or Politics need to be shoved down peoples throats on the trail. If people want to bring it on the trail, it should stay with them. While personally I'm agnostic, I don't go after everyone I see with a cross or bible trying to make them question their beliefs. I think this would be offensive to them, and expect the same courtesy to be extended to me.

The other downside is the trash. This applys to everything from religious materials to stacks of restaurant or accommodation advertisements. LNT.

mntman777
11-19-2003, 16:52
Well there is a differance between shoving something down someones throat and simply striking up a conversation with someone about there beleif in God. I don't understand why people are so afraid to talk about it. People talk about drugs, sex, and whatever else you can think of, but when it comes to alking to someone about how much God loves us, or heaven and hell well look out. Why do you suppose this is?

RagingHampster
11-19-2003, 17:02
Because with most people this leads to a sales pitch for "X" religion. I love discussing politics and religion, and have no problem with people discussing it, but discussing the existance of god and placing stacks of advertisements in shelters are very different things. There is also a big difference between discussion and preaching.

mntman777
11-19-2003, 17:32
So lets say I was a christian, and I believe in God, and that the bible is his word, that teaches us morrals and how to live, such as love one another and respect one another,just to name a few. In his word he tells us to spread the good news, that being the good news that jesus christ came and died on the cross for mans sin, so that if we believe in him we should not perish but have everlasting life. I guess i should just keep this to myself.

Alligator
11-19-2003, 17:40
Spread the word if you like, just don't litter. In fact, I started a new thread just for this topic in the General forum.

mntman777
11-19-2003, 17:45
Thank you, I found the other thread. And yes I have to because His word tells me to. God bless

RagingHampster
11-19-2003, 17:52
Just don't bother me on the trail. I'm polite and say "No thanks", but only the first time. Then I get down-right pissed about being bothered.

What your talking about is preaching, not discussing.

mntman777
11-19-2003, 17:57
I actually look forward to meeting you on the trail one day. I promise you I won't preach to you. But understand one thing, I'll only say this once, don't EVER threaten me again. The end.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2003, 18:01
That ain't very Christlike mntman. He didn't threaten you, he just said he'd get pissed.

Lilred
11-19-2003, 18:07
I actually look forward to meeting you on the trail one day. I promise you I won't preach to you. But understand one thing, I'll only say this once, don't EVER threaten me again. The end.

HMMMMM......That sounds like a threat to me....... Are Christians supposed to threaten people??

mntman777
11-19-2003, 18:11
I'm a christian not perfect. If i took your reply the wrong way I apologise. The marine still comes out in me from time to time.

RagingHampster
11-19-2003, 18:22
This is how wars start...

Muslim: "Allah is the truth".

Jew: "Nuh-uh... and you skipped passover, better tell Mohammad Jr to pack his bags..."

Muslim: "What did you say to me?"

Christen: "Your both gonna burn in hell!"

*Multiple rounds thrown from Ak-47's, Uzi's, and M16's*

Everyone dies, including the kids who are all saying "***?".

And no, I wouldn't ever be a violent person on the trail unless personally attacked, but we can all see where emotion drives fanatic people. Insecure Saudi's and Lonely Michigan Boys alike.

Please... :rolleyes:

Saluki Dave
11-19-2003, 22:37
Eating peas with a knife. That really gets to me. It's bad enough having to watch it in some high-falooting (sp?) restaurant like Chez Paul, but out in the wilderness where I expect civilized behavior? Pleeeeeeaasssseee....Heck I might even have to get Medieval on somebody. :p

Crash
11-29-2003, 16:12
My pet peeve I have are those damn books that are left in shelters!

People call them shelter registers but people use them for other wacky things like poetry, messages of their travails, notes to hikers behind them, gossip and other dribble instead of trail conditions, the weather reports, shelters in need of repair, where you can find the blue berries and cherries, privies that are well past the expiration date!

Had ya going there didn't I?
my real pet peeve is not being out on the trail!!

stranger
11-30-2003, 19:36
Here are some of my issues with others along the trail:

- Hikers or so-called hikers who spend more time filling up hostels and drinking in bars then hiking the trail. They use the trail facilities but don't hike the trail, ironic isn't it!
- Ultra-lighters who have nothing better to do than discuss gear for thousands of miles, and inform others on what they should be doing. You would think after 4-500 miles this talk would die out...think again!
- Inconsiderate hikers who think it's fine to show up to shelters at 10pm and disturb everyone around the shelter area, I can understand when these are inexperienced hikers or weekenders, but it's pathetic when fellow thru-hikers pull this crap.
- Hikers who have nothing better to do than bitch about big mileage hikers, saying that they aren't seeing anything and are hiking the trail for the wrong reasons...get over it, hike your own hike, PLEASE!

That's about it for now

Grinch
02-12-2015, 18:08
Litter. Rest assured you will not want to be around if I see that take place. Unpreparedness. Some level of hygiene. Come on! you gotta wash that stankin ars! Know it alls. Elitists. Ignorance. Just be kind and respectful and aware of your surroundings. Snit ain't that hard!

JumpMaster Blaster
02-12-2015, 20:27
I only have a few, and unfortunately I come across many of them on the interwebs, rather than on the trail.

-the Thru hiker mafia that thinks they're entitled to everything moreso than section hikers, weekenders, etc. Hey if you can afford to not be working and take a 6 month vacay, more power to you. I'll even throw some extra food your way when I run into you, but don't assume everyone needs to bend over backwards for you. You made a choice. (now, this absolutely does NOT pertain to all thrus, most of you are cool dudes and dudettes!)

- people who smoke right by (or in) the shelter. Hey man, some of us have enough trouble breathing without all that secondhand crap. Just ask or move away from me when I'm trying to eat.

- Gear know-it-alls (this is more online than anything). If someone asks, answer, but don't go tell them how much they're wrong for carrying whatever. I ask about people's gear out of curiosity. i.e., have you had any problems with that pack, is that mat comfy, what kind of backpack is that...Hell I bought some gear based on what questions I had answered, but I don't try to correct anyone or say theyt should use this or that.

-fanatics against "dogs/guns/whatever" on the trail. As long as it isn't infringing on your freedom to hike or disrupting your hike, let it go.

-lastly, people who just dump their unwanted crap in the shelter & leave it or don't pack out their trash.

squeezebox
02-12-2015, 21:01
fanatics for guns/dogs or whatever that infringe on my hike.

Sarcasm the elf
02-12-2015, 21:11
- Morning spider webs.

- Not noticing the wasp nest on the ceiling of the privy until it was too late.

- Shelter mice.

- People who kill shelter mice.

Another Kevin
02-13-2015, 10:00
Pet peeves? Hmm. I'm not often peevish on the trail. I suppose I could list a few.

My right knee, when bad weather impends. It's frustrating when body parts refuse to cooperate with the project.

Postholes left by people who are carrying snowshoes. I mean, really, guys. The objective is not to see how far you can go before you put them on.

Folks that glower and scold. Thanks for the advice, but you know, bushwhacking really isn't illegal in the Catskill Park. I'm sorry, runners, sometimes I simply can't get out of the way fast enough to suit you. Really, I'm sorry that your dog is afraid of trekking poles.

The fourth consecutive day of sleet. I don't complain about it, beyond a possible greeting of, "Large weather we're having, isn't it?" but it does make me quite cross.

The teenaged boys who threw their beer cans at me when I picked up the rest of the trash that they, and others, had left strewn about. I'd not said a word about it, just went quietly about my business, but apparently they liked having the woods filled with garbage? (Or more likely, they were offended by having an old man trashing out and Making Them Feel Bad.)

Blackflies. (Love them, too, because the males pollinate the blueberries. But still.)

Realizing that there's something important that didn't make it into my pack. This happens about once a year. It's embarrassing, when it does: it proclaims to the world that I'm a clueless weekender.

My unfortunate tendency to focus on my peeves rather than on the lovely scenery, fascinating archaeology, complex ecology, and so on around me.

Frye
02-13-2015, 10:34
Pretty much I just don't like trash and unburied human waste.

Guns don't annoy me, and I love seeing a nice pack rifle (I love pack rifles) but I'd be lying if I understood why some people carry sidearms on the trail. All the reasons I've heard for it just seem so silly to me, but what the hell, to each their own.

Dogs can sometimes be annoying. A Lab, typically very awesome. A Chihuahua, I get a little worried. A Poodle, they're not real dogs to begin with.

JumpMaster Blaster
02-13-2015, 11:28
fanatics for guns/dogs or whatever that infringe on my hike.

When did one infringe on your hike?

A dog you can see, but unless someone was brandishing a firearm or told you about it, there's no way you knew they had one.

Thinspace
02-13-2015, 12:23
People who listen to radios or music without headphones! Please don't share your music, I might hate it and you might hate mine!

tiptoe
02-13-2015, 12:36
Trash; defacing of shelters, signs, rocks, etc.; loud use of cell phones, music and radios without headphones. But mostly, I am peeve-free when I hike.

Sly
02-13-2015, 12:47
Litter
Tents in shelters

RangerZ
02-13-2015, 13:14
11 year old threads that get resurrected that I missed the first time around and I have to go back and read all of the replies.:banana

DandT40
02-13-2015, 13:40
Litter. Graffiti. Dogs. Loud/large groups.