PDA

View Full Version : Cold feet at night

vaporjourney
11-29-2006, 11:38
Does anyone else have trouble in the winter with their feet being really cold, even while in a sleeping bag? I've tried wearing the thickest pair of wool socks I can find, but this doesn't seem to be warm enough. I've considered getting some 'toe socks' that look like gloves for the feet, thinking these may be warmer. Now I've just found a pair of Possum Down socks, which are really damn expensive, but may be worth it to keep my feet warm at night. Cold feet tend to keep me awake more than anything else, so this is an important issue. any ideas and experience would be awesome.

little bear
11-29-2006, 11:45
I had the same problem and then I found sierra design down booties, and they work great. I got them at REI on sale last year so I dont know what they cost. But they are 9.4 oz and I think they are worth it and they have a hard bottom so they can also be used as camp shoes.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hikes
Little Bear

Michele
11-29-2006, 12:01
I found that once I sufficiently warmed up my lower body, my feet also warmed up. It wasn't that my lower body was freezing, but it wasn't toasty warm either. As soon as I added some fleece pants to sleep in, my feet (I wear Merino wool socks in bed) have been warm.

Also try to doing some jumping jacks right before crawling into your sleeping bag and raising your heart rate temporarily helps too.

I suffer from cold feet/hands almost constantly in my home environment, so I feel your pain! :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-29-2006, 12:04
I use a nalgene bottle filled with boiling water with sock over it - warms my toosies and the area under my quilt so I can get some sleep -- and assures I will have water that isn't ice the following morning.

Footslogger
11-29-2006, 12:04
My wife suffers from cold feet (among other things) at night. What I have found that seems to work is to rub your ankles/feet vigorously just before crawling into your sleeping bag for the night and then don a pair of dry socks. That stimulates peripheral circulation which in turn generates some warmth. Then the socks tend to contain the heat.

All this presumes that you have an adequately warm sleeping bag of course.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
11-29-2006, 12:10
Make sure your socks are dry, but the hot water bottle like FD says is just the ticket. Plus, in the winter you often need to melt snow for water anyway...might as well make it work for you.

Michele
11-29-2006, 12:12
I use a nalgene bottle filled with boiling water with sock over it - warms my toosies and the area under my quilt so I can get some sleep -- and assures I will have water that isn't ice the following morning.

Hey I have a question about this. Let's say I'm in camp and am finished cooking, have hung my food/kitchen. How far in advance can you boil your water/fill the bottle and put it in your bag and still be effective? This past weekend, it was in the 30's, but I had a fire going so I could stay up pretty late, but I didn't want to drag everything out just to boil water for my sleeping bag. Can I have my sleeping bag getting "pre-warmed" if I just throw the canteen of boiling water in there several hours before I crawl in?

Kevin A. Boyce
11-29-2006, 12:14
Try some of the suggestions here, I have used them all to get success over the years of winter hiking... Down booties are GREAT, they go on all winter trips, the extra weight is a trade off, but I would rather sleep well, so I carry them... Also try the water bottles, just make sure the lids are on TIGHT!

Also try jamming some fleece down at your feet too, I will sleep with my fleece pull over at my feet so I can burrow them into the material, and it helps a lot...I use this technique quite often when I don't have my booties with me.

During the winter, I always will do a few jumping jacks or running in place, something to get the heart rate up just before climbing into my sleeping bag... It always helps to get things toasty.

Also try to keep your feet off the ground if possible. By using your pack as some extra insulation under your feet and legs, you may be a bit warmer, especially if you do not use a full size pad.

Just Jeff
11-29-2006, 12:18
Can I have my sleeping bag getting "pre-warmed" if I just throw the canteen of boiling water in there several hours before I crawl in?

Yes. I use a soft-sided Nalgene canteen, so I either tuck it into my waistband to keep me warm as I walk around - that keeps the water insulated by my jacket and pants. Or I put it in the quilt...it'll work for several hours that way. Actually, it's usually still a bit warm in the morning when I get up.

woodsy
11-29-2006, 12:19
Another source of external heat, have not tried it but have heard of it in the past, multi purpose, also heats from within when added to cooking, LOL http://blog.worldvillage.com/home/alternative_medicine_uses_of_

Ewker
11-29-2006, 12:29
Hey I have a question about this. Let's say I'm in camp and am finished cooking, have hung my food/kitchen. How far in advance can you boil your water/fill the bottle and put it in your bag and still be effective? This past weekend, it was in the 30's, but I had a fire going so I could stay up pretty late, but I didn't want to drag everything out just to boil water for my sleeping bag. Can I have my sleeping bag getting "pre-warmed" if I just throw the canteen of boiling water in there several hours before I crawl in?

if you freezer bag cook there is no reason to hang a pot that only had water in it :p . That way you can boil water, pour it in the bottle, put the bottle in a sock, throw it in your sleeping bag and let the hot water warm up your bag

woodsy
11-29-2006, 12:31
http://www.newconnexion.net/article/05-01/capsicum.html

Maybe this one will work

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-29-2006, 12:48
Michele, what Jeff said and... when we have a fire going, I use that to boil my water. I never hang the pot I use for cooking / boiling water - just my food. I sleep with my alcohol & stove so it is easier to get it going in the morning

Lone Wolf
11-29-2006, 12:50
Does anyone else have trouble in the winter with their feet being really cold, even while in a sleeping bag? I've tried wearing the thickest pair of wool socks I can find, but this doesn't seem to be warm enough. I've considered getting some 'toe socks' that look like gloves for the feet, thinking these may be warmer. Now I've just found a pair of Possum Down socks, which are really damn expensive, but may be worth it to keep my feet warm at night. Cold feet tend to keep me awake more than anything else, so this is an important issue. any ideas and experience would be awesome.

Get down booties and sleep in a tent. Problem solved. Or don't hike in cold weather.

Michele
11-29-2006, 13:01
if you freezer bag cook there is no reason to hang a pot that only had water in it :p . That way you can boil water, pour it in the bottle, put the bottle in a sock, throw it in your sleeping bag and let the hot water warm up your bag

I unfortunately can taste the plastic of the freezerbag after I pour boiling water into it, which ruins my meal, so I prefer to cook in my pot, but I do wash it after each time that I cook/eat out of it, so maybe it's not necessary to hang it huh? Hadn't thought of just leaving my cookware out.

And it's encouraging to know the water will stay warm throughout the night Jeff. I figured it would be cold by the middle of the night. I'll try this out. I was out this past weekend in the low 30's and needed an extra little something for my upper body warmth, so next time I know it's going to be in the 30's or colder, I'll just boil some water from the start.

halftime
11-29-2006, 13:21
Does anyone else have trouble in the winter with their feet being really cold, even while in a sleeping bag?

Did not see mention if you are using full length sleeping pad. I have a 3/4 length Thermorest and have discovered that when insulation in my bag (or whatever else I use as foot padding) is compressed the insulating value is diminished. Don't need much difference in value for my feet to feel colder than my body. So I have added a short piece of light weight closed cell foam to insulate my feet at night. Makes a good sitting pad during the day as well. It is cheap very thin and light weight but has insulating value equal to the Thermorest.

Other suggestions here are good as well.

Nightwalker
11-29-2006, 13:31
I got them at REI...

Now there's a shock!

We need to change your trailname to REI-(something or another here).

Two Speed
11-29-2006, 13:47
A lot of good stuff here, dry socks being a biggie for me. However, for some reason I wind up scrunched up in my bag, and wind up "standing" on the end of the bag; I'll have my feet pressed against the bottom of the bag, which compresses the down, etc, etc. My cure is to throw a small wool scarf down in the bottom of the bag. Gives me something to stand on that doesn't compress as easily and helps me keep my feet warm in cold weather.

IMHO I think you have to figure out what's causing your problem, wet socks, poor circulation, short pad, silly habits and cure that.

copythat
11-29-2006, 14:05
I have added a short piece of light weight closed cell foam to insulate my feet at night. Makes a good sitting pad during the day as well. It is cheap very thin and light weight but has insulating value ...

this is what REALLY works for me, and you don't have to boil the foam ahead of time!

(i use a medium-weight foam, not the really skinny kind some people use as pot cozies.)

little bear
11-29-2006, 14:14
Now there's a shock!

We need to change your trailname to REI-(something or another here).

:D I love that store.

Webs
11-29-2006, 14:40
toe socks are, strangely enough, actually less warm than normal socks--b/c all the heat from your whole foot combines, whereas in a toe sock, the heat is separated by fabric and isn't as effective. anyway, doesnt wearing a plastic bag over your foot keep heat in much better than fabric? maybe you could put a plastic bag over each foot over the skin, then add socks. that way the condensation wouldn't leak onto your socks. don't really know if that would be effective or not....:-?

Just Jeff
11-29-2006, 14:45
Sierra Designs down booties (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48054867&parent_category_rn=40003531&vcat=REI_SEARCH) for $32. The REI I was at this weekend had them on sale for $25. I keep telling myself I'm gonna buy some, but I've never really needed them so I can't justify the extra weight. Lots of folks swear by them, though.

RevLee
11-29-2006, 14:47
Have you tried a stocking cap when sleeping? It sounds odd, but the more heat you can avoid losing through your head means the more there is for the rest of your body.

An alternative to the hot water bottle is the disposable hand warmers that are sold in hardware stores. If you toss a couple of those in the foot of your bag about an hour before bedtime, you won't have to crawl into a cold bag and they last all night.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2006, 14:47
Weight? Jesus Christ! What could they weigh? 3-4 oz.?

ZEKE #2
11-29-2006, 15:04
Hip hip horray for down booties!

deadair
11-29-2006, 16:46
i sure do miss the days of hiking when we didnt have to worry about a thing like the weight of a pair of socks

bigcranky
11-29-2006, 18:18
Down booties good. Or if you carry a down vest, you can zip it up and stick your feet and lower legs inside. Also good.

For a last resort, the vapor barrier liner works wonders. All you really need is two plastic grocery bags, one for each foot, but don't wear heavy socks inside, or they'll get soaked. Light socks are good.

chknfngrs
11-29-2006, 18:26
In cold weather I wear a cap to bed. Like said before, solves a large part of the cold feet scenario. You will lose a large percentage of body heat through your head alone otherwise.

Footslogger
11-29-2006, 18:34
[quote=bigcranky;278278]Down booties good. Or if you carry a down vest, you can zip it up and stick your feet and lower legs inside. Also good.
===========================

Ya know though ...if you're feet are cold due to a lack of peripheral circulation I'm kinda doubtfull that just wrapping them in goose down is going to warm them up.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

copythat
11-29-2006, 19:02

sierra designs down booties/"shooties" (shorter)/mules ...
7.3 oz/7.2 oz/10 oz in men's medium (manufacturer's website)
$32

integral designs primaloft "hot socks"
4.5 oz in men's medium (manufacturer's website)
$40

peter_pan
11-29-2006, 19:07
Down booties are great...been using the same pair since 1982....

JRB down sleeves also fit over the ankle and work as booties at night and turn a vest into a jacket by day...multi use...save weight and stay warmer.

Pan

vaporjourney
11-29-2006, 19:24
OK, lots and lots of great replies. thanks a lot guys.

I should say that I currently use a full-length insulated and inflatable 2.5" thick pad by Pacific Outdoor Equipment.

Those down booties look pretty sweet, but I"m not sure that I want to add all of that extra weight yet. I think I saw someone post that they weight around 9 oz? Thats a tad heavy, but I may decide to swap out Crocs and use those as camp shoes instead? I'd have to be paranoid about keeping the bottoms clean around camp, and in muddy conditions this would be impossible. It's not a good idea to drag the filth into a sleeping bag with you...I also am going to be using a Nanutak Arc Alipinist which is rated down to 20*...

Does anyone have experience with the Possum Down socks here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/possumdown_socks.html?id=WMY8Ksrd:68.115.194.132 . Really expensive, but lightweight, and could be as effective as down booties.

peter_pan
11-29-2006, 19:59
I have the PD hat and gloves ...nice items warm, light... little prone to wear.

Socks for sleeping are probably a great idea...not as good as down booties though... don't plan to wear them in shoes a lot or if so then plan on rapid wear....

BTW, Booties can be had with 3/8 foam soles inside 500 denier nylon outer bottoms...wear reasonable in camp...stay out of the mud and they are fine for the last hour of the day and any bio breaks...minimal dirt to get in the bag.... and they all wash anyway... You do wash yours occasionally , don't you?

Pan

Just Jeff
11-29-2006, 20:28

10.8 oz for men's size large. Only a big deal b/c I've never needed them...11 oz for something I need isn't a problem.

HYOH. But if you wanna make fun of mine, that's cool too.

FanaticFringer
11-29-2006, 22:06
Is there a bigger a hole on this forum than L.Wolf?

Happy
11-29-2006, 22:08
I used to encounter the same problem...but my solution turned out to be a pair of Sealskinz socks...3.8oz for men's large...never had cold feet again!

They are also great with Croc's in camp and are functional for stream crossings/snow days with trailrunners.

rif-raf
12-03-2006, 21:36
Toe socks would actually be colder. The explanation why is long but think of mittens vs glves.

troglobil
12-03-2006, 22:12
I found a simple solution. I always assumed the socks I had on during the day were dry, but they actually have quite a bit of moisture in them. Don't just put on a dry pair, but but on a CLEAN pair of socks. It really helps me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2006, 07:10
I discovered something while looking for warm houseshoes for my 90 yo aunt - if you search on ebay for down slippers instead of down booties, you will find some items that might be great for hikers. I found something called a foot duvet that is basically a thin down sock. There were also several Sierra Designs booties listed in this section and some from other manufactures with fill powers from 550 to 700.

Newb
12-04-2006, 08:20
The trick is zip your sleeping bag up to someone else's sleeping bag and share foot heat. Make sure to wear booties and practice safe footsie.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2006, 08:53
The trick is zip your sleeping bag up to someone else's sleeping bag and share foot heat. Make sure to wear booties and practice safe footsie.The male dino wants nothing to do with my cold feet under the quilt.....

Jim Adams
12-04-2006, 15:40
sleep with a lightweight poly pro balaclava at night. keep your head warm and your feet will follow.

vaporjourney
12-27-2006, 17:18
I used to encounter the same problem...but my solution turned out to be a pair of Sealskinz socks...3.8oz for men's large...never had cold feet again!

They are also great with Croc's in camp and are functional for stream crossings/snow days with trailrunners.

do you have to wear another pair of socks over the SealSkinz? I don't like layering socks because they seem to tighten overnight, and I lose circulation, making cold feet colder.

Also...does anyone have any clue if POssum Down socks would be warmer than fleece socks? Fleece socks are about a third of the cost, maybe an ounce more, but hopefully would warm as good.

Will probably make a purchase soon.