PDA

View Full Version : Therm-A-Rest Invader

RagingHampster
05-28-2003, 14:12
A few months ago I purchased a Therm-A-Rest Camp Rest LE, and I absolutely love it as my "at home/car camp" mattres. The other day I woke up to find a basketball size bubble where the material delaminated from the foam inside the mattres. It conveniently popped up under my upper-back, forcing me to turn the pad upside down to sleep normally (and sleeping on the "foot" end yuck).
I called Cascade Designs (who come to find out just merged with MSR), and they said to send it to them in seattle for repairs. I guess $140 for a premium life-time warranty product doesn't include shipping fees for when it $hits the bed. I'm also going to have a serious lack of faith in a glued up product which I was going to take van-camping on the west coast and baja this upcoming fall/winter. Lame.

kythruhiker
05-28-2003, 14:33
Bummer - I have a 2 yr. old LE and haven't had any problems with it at all. I did just go through the MSR/Cascade repair situation - sent in a Dragonfly for repair. I did have to pay shipping to Seattle, but they sent a brand new stove in less than a week, so I quit complaining shortly after it arrived :)

Peace,
Ed

DebW
05-28-2003, 14:49
I've returned 2 Thermarests to Cascade Designs for repair/replacement. Both times I include the $10 repair fee and both times my check was returned to me along with a brand new pad. Too bad the new standard pads are heavier than my 15 year old standard pads.

icemanat95
05-29-2003, 10:16
I own two therma-rests, a 6 year old standard long staytek and an 8 year old ultralight long. The ultralight went every step of the way with me on my thru-hike and has yet to fail me even a little. The Standard has done several winter trips under harsh conditions without a hitch, and both have done extensive service as chairs in my living room. I am very happy with Cascade designs products.

But Dang, MSR is really buying up the outdoor world. First they bought Moss tents, then Walrus, now Cascade Designs, and I know there are a bunch of others in there that I missed. Consolidation seems to be the way of things right now. (Pur's hiking and yachting filter divisions bought by Katadyn), Dana Design bought by K2, Gregory purchased by Bianchi International, and so on.

At one time one holding company owned Marmot, The North Face and Sierra Designs all at one time.

Long live the little guy!

gravityman
05-29-2003, 13:32
I thought that MSR always owned it. And MSR is actually owned by REI. So, actually REI owned MSR and Cascade seperately, and I am guessing they are combining them now.

Correct me if I am wrong. There were several other notible companies that they owned, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Gravity Man