PDA

View Full Version : River Crossings

LSanford
11-30-2006, 23:06
I have read a few AT journals of thru-hikers and read of many river crossings. Would someone give me an estimate as to how many river crossing there are with no bridge on the whole trail.

Thanks

Footslogger
11-30-2006, 23:12
The only REAL river I remember crossing on foot with my backpack was the east branch of the Pleasant River in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

There are a lot of streams, brooks etc but the above was the only one I would actually call a river and it's the only one I crossed on foot.

Is my memory failing me ?? ...somebody else chime in !!

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2006, 23:13
Not too many true "river" fords, except for Maine, but there are plenty of streams without bridges. Most of them are step-over rock-hops, but several are larger and a bit more challenging; once again, the largest of these are in Maine, but it is rare for them to be so difficult that they actually pose a danger to crossers.

The Kennebec River, the widest bridgeless river on the Trail, in Maine, can be forded but this is generally considered ill-advised. Most folks take the canoe ferry which is considered the "official" way to cross the river.

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2006, 23:19
I've never had a problem on the Pleasant, but I've seen the Piscataquis River and also Big Wilson stream (both in Maine) when they were unfordable.

And every now and again, you encounter an unexpected problem crossing, usually in periods of great rain. This summer, for example, Rt 325 just North of Duncannon was uncrossable for a few days until a rope bridge was put it.

But this is a comparatively rare thing.

TJ aka Teej
11-30-2006, 23:22
I have read a few AT journals of thru-hikers and read of many river crossings. Would someone give me an estimate as to how many river crossing there are with no bridge on the whole trail.

Thanks

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, LSanford! :welcome That's a good question, and I'll bet someone is diving into their DataBook or their own journal right now to find you an answer. The widest river has a canoe ferry provided for free by the ATC and MATC, but it's those little ones that can be a challenge. Seasonality and rain will turn a many rock-hop into a yeeeeeehaaaaw, and can change that hairy crossing you read about into a 'was that the ford?' moment. Maybe we should start a how-to-ford thread...

Okie Dokie
11-30-2006, 23:39
Take the canoe ferry across the Kennebec...makes a good story at the very least, and it's the smart thing to do....most of the rest are safe to ford under normal conditions...I saw a hiker almost killed trying to cross the Big Wilson in Maine...it had rained almost 16 hours continuously before a group of us got to it and it was roaring...the hiker was washed nearly 40 yards downstream, with his pack on, and when he was able (miraculously) to pull himself up out of the water on the far shore his nose was broken and blood was dripping steadily from a deep gash in his left arm...he walked along the opposite bank for nearly 4 miles till the rest of us (bushwhacking) found a safe place to ford...take your time...use your head...

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2006, 23:41
Teej:

You'd be the perfect person to answer this one....what is it with Maine and bridges? It seems that they are the only place that seems to have a state-wide policy against the construction of permanent bridges (which a very few exceptions).

I've heard of three possible explanations for this policy:

1. It's too expensive, especially because
2. Bridges need to be repaired and replaced, especially after damage
caused by springtime ice jams, and lastly, there's a
3. Liability issue. Especially if there's a situation where a bridge has been
storm-damaged and not yet repaired or rehabilitated, there's a chance
that the local Trail club could be liable if someone suffered an accident
or worse. In liabilty terms, it's better to have NO structure there than
having one that the club is legally "responsible" for.

Anyway, this is why I've heard there are no, or almost no bridges in Maine.

Anything to this, Teej?

A-Train
12-01-2006, 00:10
To answer your question simply, there are usually somewhere between 3-6 depending on water levels. I hiked in a very wet yr and reached Maine early, for a nobo (july) and probably got my legs wet 4 or 5 times. If I can remember correctly, 2 fords were just south of Monson, and the other 2-3 were just north of Monson, on the first day in the Wilderness.

Your most dubious crossings will occur if you're an early season SOBO, aka someone leaving Katahdin between late may and early June.

Don't sweat it. Consider them another small, fun challenge in the greater scope of things

TJ aka Teej
12-01-2006, 00:19
....what is it with Maine and bridges?
If MATC has a firm policy, I don't know it. The expense, the need to repair and replace, and the seasonal-need aspect are all valid reasons for not building. But when you're out hiking (Big Wilson is one ford I wake up dreading when it's ahead of me) those reasons seem pretty petty! Liability figures in, that's one of the reasons the Kennebec canoe ferry was established. Nostalgia plays a role too, for in the olden days the Maine trail didn't head across deep fords, it followed logging roads and headed straight at lakes where you'd take a camp's boat across instead of skirting long-way-around the outlet end for a wade or swim. There were a few dual cable set-ups across streams back in the 70s, a cheap and fine way to cross drybooted in my opinion. The only big bridge was a tall cable foot bridge just north of where the Abol Bridge Store is now. That finally collapsed just before the Abol Bridge was put in. Weary sees this thread he'll tell us money is the key, and he's probably right.
www.matc.com

emerald
12-01-2006, 00:40
I had understood a great deal of planning and effort went into building it only to have it wash out the following spring. I never saw it, only heard of it from LK. That incident might have served to discourage MATC.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 06:23
While we are discussing river fording.... what detour options exist for people that cannot safely ford? Are there designated detour routes for high water on rivers / streams that routinely become treacherous?

MOWGLI
12-01-2006, 07:28
2000 was a dry year in Maine (not down south) and there was only one ford that I would consider even moderately difficult. I think that was the south branch of the Carrabassett,

FD, for many of the fords in Maine, I can think of no detour. It may just be a matter of walking up or downstream and looking for a place where you are comfortable crossing. You might want to accept some help carrying your pack across the stream/river. At the very least, the hip belt should be unbuckled for safety.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 07:37
Thanks for the info, Mowgli. I likely will not attempt to carry a pack while fording as I have enough trouble not falling without the extra weight to balance.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2006, 08:20
Not too many true "river" fords, except for Maine, but there are plenty of streams without bridges. Most of them are step-over rock-hops, but several are larger and a bit more challenging; once again, the largest of these are in Maine, but it is rare for them to be so difficult that they actually pose a danger to crossers.

The Kennebec River, the widest bridgeless river on the Trail, in Maine, can be forded but this is generally considered ill-advised. Most folks take the canoe ferry which is considered the "official" way to cross the river.

I highly advise it! Lots of fun and a sense of accomplishment.

SalParadise
12-01-2006, 10:17
Thanks for the info, Mowgli. I likely will not attempt to carry a pack while fording as I have enough trouble not falling without the extra weight to balance.

I don't quite understand how a fording could be done without a pack on. Only way I can think is to have three or so guys in the river and everyone passes their pack forward.

I agree with Wolf, the crossings are fun. I had kind of the same feeling with them as I did boulder scrambles, that there was a solid chance of getting hurt, but not exactly dead. That and wondering if your camera and every piece of gear would get soaked in a fall sure raised the adrenaline.

I did find it was a benefit to me to be carrying a sandal with a heel strap, that I could still ford with footwear instead of barefoot, because those rocks sure are slippery. My hiking poles were also a big help, though a staff would do as well.

And a note about the Kennebec, from a bad personal experience, please take the canoe and don't try to ford the thing.

MOWGLI
12-01-2006, 10:36
I don't quite understand how a fording could be done without a pack on.

Simple. You have someone help you. Perhaps your hiking partner carries both backs, or makes two trips to assist you.

peter_pan
12-01-2006, 10:57
I don't quite understand how a fording could be done without a pack on. Only way I can think is to have three or so guys in the river and everyone passes their pack forward.

Easy to do this...even alone...

Just make an Army style poncho raft of the pack...it will float... The pack is essentially wrapped up in a poncho and cinched up with a cord, shoelace etc, turned upside down and it floats... I crossed the Shagrass river in
Panama, a 50 yard wide , 100+ yard swim with the current this way.... Everything was dry on the other side... If you have enough cord to make a harness it is easy to tow such a raft... if not, you are forced to push it ahead like 'drippling" in waterpolo.

Pan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 11:06
Thanks for this info, Pan. :)

houthuse
12-01-2006, 11:32
Can anyone give me a basic explanation of how to ford a stream safely? Is there a better/best way to do this, or do you simply make your way across as best you can? Is there a reference you could send me to for this info? While I may not have to do it often, it seems like a situation where a lot could go wrong if you aren't careful. I am all for being as prepared as possible.
Thanks!
Heather

MOWGLI
12-01-2006, 11:36
Easy to do this...even alone...

Just make an Army style poncho raft of the pack...it will float...

Pan

This would work in the Kennebec, but it would probably not work in some of the faster moving streams and rivers in Maine. The pack could be ripped from your grip during meltout, and that'd be the last you saw of it.

MOWGLI
12-01-2006, 11:47
Can anyone give me a basic explanation of how to ford a stream safely? Is there a better/best way to do this, or do you simply make your way across as best you can? Is there a reference you could send me to for this info? While I may not have to do it often, it seems like a situation where a lot could go wrong if you aren't careful. I am all for being as prepared as possible.
Thanks!
Heather

Here is how I do it;

Unbuckle waist belt and sternum strap
secure any items that I don't want to get wet
Leave shoes on - or switch to sandals. Be aware that your ankles could get banged around if you wear sandals.
Use hiking pole or stick to help with balance
look for area where stream is not too deep, and where the current is not at its fastest. Don't be tempted to cross at the narrowest point, as the current could be too strong in that location.
Step out into the stream, taking care to avoid stepping on moss covered boulders. They can be extremely slippery.
keep knees bent and center of gravity low. Don't walk erect.
Cross the stream carefully, feeling your way with your feet, and making sure that you have two points of contact at all times (including stick or pole). Take small steps if the current is strong.
Ideally, you'll have someone there to keep an eye on you and offer encouragement
Should you fall, think of your safety first. Discard the pack if it is pulling you under.

I welcome any feedback on this list. I intentionally did not address the use of a rope.

TJ aka Teej
12-01-2006, 12:04
Here is how I do it;

Good list! Let me add: If the way across isn't obviously safe, leave your pack on the near bank, and go play in the water. This lets you find out about depth, footing, and current first instead of risking your hike and health by wading in blindly with your house on your back.

Spock
12-01-2006, 13:43
To add to Maugli's list and all these other good ideas:

* Assume you will fall and consider what will happen when you do. Are you ready to swim? What's downstream?

If possible, cross at a pool, not a drop or rapid. Pools are wide, but shallow with slower water. The shallowest water may be immediately above a rapid. Take care that there is not a swift, deep channel on one side of the pool that could get you to the rapid before you can deal with it. Better to cross higher up in a pool -- even if the water is deeper it will be slower. Or cross below the rapid so if you fall you don't go through the rapid - This works only if the rapid has not carved a deep channel.

* Things to watch out for.
Some Maine streams do not have pools; pick the closest approximation.
Log jambs downstream are killers; cross below.
The deepest water is usually near one bank; if you find the water getting deep and swift as you cross, back up and move up or downstream; the deep channel will switch back and forth and often the area where it crosses will be shallow. In other words, you can move up or downstream, cross the channel as it switches sides, and continue across the stream.

* If you fall, turn on your back and put your feet downstream. Let the pack go; you won't lose it. Use your arms to backstroke, keeping your feet out front to fend off rocks. Don't let your tail bone drag; a good bump to your tail bone can just about paralyze you temporarily.

* Do not use a rope from one side as a 'safety line'; it will drown you. A rope tethered on each side is OK as an aid, but someone has to carry it over and back.

* Do not wade the Kennebec. It is wide and has those little ripples that indicate shallow water. But a hydro dam upstream releases water on demand - at irregular intervals. You might wade into a nice, gentle stream, but before you get to the other side, it is not the kind of stream you can wade out of. It is the other kind.

* The ATC provides a ferry to reduce drownings. Use it. The wilderling across the river yells, "Can you carry me to the other side???!!!" The ferryman yells back, "You ARE on the other side!!!" sorry. old joke.

woodsy
12-01-2006, 17:54
Spring flooding is the major culprit. Many bridges have been built over the years, some repeatedly, only to be wiped out by yet another high water/ice event come spring.
The so called 100 year flood of 1987 here wiped out any and all that were left from previous spring events.:eek: I 'm sure a few small stream bridges were replaced but larger ones, well ,you are on your own most likely.
I recall the bridge on the S. branch of the Carrabassett river was a real help in 3 seasons of the year, now there is a plank with one end cabled to a boulder on the north side of the river. Works great if you are going south or if someone has crossed going south and it is still in place when you get there headin north.:rolleyes: Summer crossings here are not usually difficult.:)

troglobil
12-01-2006, 18:37
If you face upstream, you can lean into the current to help maintain balance.

SalParadise
12-01-2006, 18:54
I relied on my hiking poles quite a bit on the fords. One downstream for balance, especially because it had a good grip on the slimy rocks; and the other to poke around in front of me for the best place to step next. But all in all, the fords were most difficult for the cold and not from any great danger in crossing.

weary
12-01-2006, 20:37

All streams can occasionally cause problems. I was hiking to Dunn Notch Falls on the trail in Maine a couple of weeks ago after 2 or 3 inches of rain. I had crossed one stream without mishap, but found another that some in the group worried about crossing so we turned back.

While recrossing the stream I had already crossed, I jumped from a rock to the shore and tore a muscle and strained my achillies tendon. The doc says I'll be in a brace for two months.

I had just gotten back to serious walking after six months of a heart arrhythmia that had been cured a few weeks earlier by another doc. I suspect that six months of relative inactivity probably made the muscles subject to damage.

Just a suggestion to those who may want to push too hard, too quickly after a period of inactivity.

Weary

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 20:48
{{{ Weary }}} Take care of yourself. You are a wealth of knowledge and have to get & stay healthy enough to hike with Us a bit when we get up your way. :)

TDale
12-01-2006, 21:17
If you face upstream, you can lean into the current to help maintain balance.

Great addendum to a great explanation from Mowgli.

I've always got a 55 gal drum liner with me for multiple emergency uses. A raging river crossing means everything but my clothes goes in the liner which is tied shut and attached to me by a short length of cord. Great flotation device/landing on rocks cushion. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 21:33
TDale - is a 55 gallon drum liner like a contractor bag or is it different?

Namaste
12-01-2006, 22:03
I remember having to ford a stream up to our hips hiking south in the Chairbacks region in Maine. The rope was unreachable. We formed a human chain (3 adults with seven 12yr old girls). It worked very well and the girls thought it was a little scary but fun! We had our boots on for good traction. Once we reached the other side our hike was only about 1/4 mile to the road where we were picked up. I can't remember the name of the stream. Does anyone know which one I'm referring to?

bigcranky
12-01-2006, 22:06
* If you fall, turn on your back and put your feet downstream. Let the pack go; you won't lose it.

Let me add to Mowgli and Spocks Excellent List(s), if you do fall down in big swift water, do not try to stand up. It's very easy to get a foot jammed between the rocks, at which time the current pushes you over under water and you drown. It is very difficult to unstick someone caught in this manner. Recovery of the body can take a trained team with all the equipment several hours. Spock is exactly right -- roll over and float on your back, feet downstream, until you get into calm water.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2006, 22:07
I remember having to ford a stream up to our hips hiking south in the Chairbacks region in Maine. The rope was unreachable. We formed a human chain (3 adults with seven 12yr old girls). It worked very well and the girls thought it was a little scary but fun! We had our boots on for good traction. Once we reached the other side our hike was only about 1/4 mile to the road where we were picked up. I can't remember the name of the stream. Does anyone know which one I'm referring to?

West Branch of Pleasant River.

Okie Dokie
12-01-2006, 22:11
Good advice above; here's something else you might consider: When choosing your 'in-camp' shoes (the extra pair some carry to slip into for scurrying around camp at the end of the day) you could give some thought to choosing AquaSox instead of sandals...they're just as comfortable as sandals and just as light (or even lighter), but form fit the feet and make for more secure footing when wading or fording...worked great for me...:)

TDale
12-01-2006, 22:40
TDale - is a 55 gallon drum liner like a contractor bag or is it different?

Bout the same. Big and waterproof is the idea.