PDA

View Full Version : Making Stuff Sacks

Cuffs
12-01-2006, 12:31
OK... Now that I have learned that the "ultimate" tent (for me) does not exist, I have resolved to using the tent that I love, even if he's a little on the chunky side.

I happened into more rip-stop nylon at WM yesterday (yea!!) and am going to sew 2 smaller stuff sacks for my tent (instead of the 1 large one that is cumbersome to fit into the pack.

Here's the dilema... Do I make the sacks small and square-ish OR long and narrow (as long as the pack is wide)?

Oh the drama... will it ever end?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2006, 12:39
May I suggest stuffing the tent parts into a plastic grocery sacks and securing those in various shapes using rubber bands - then try them in your pack. This should give you some idea of what will work best for you.

Spock
12-01-2006, 13:00
After you have made a size estimate as FD suggests, you will have diameter and length. To make a square-bottom stuff sack, the easiest, multiply the diameter by 3.14 and add 3/4 of an inch (for seam allowance) to get the width of fabric you will need. The length of the fabric will the length obtained from FB's method for the finished length of the sack plus the diameter plus 3/4" for seam allowance plus 1" for the drawstring casing. When the bag is stuffed and closed, it will fit the dimensions you started with.

Cuffs
12-01-2006, 13:03
After you have made a size estimate as FD suggests, you will have diameter and length. To make a square-bottom stuff sack, the easiest, multiply the diameter by 3.14 and add 3/4 of an inch (for seam allowance) to get the width of fabric you will need. The length of the fabric will the length obtained from FB's method for the finished length of the sack plus the diameter plus 3/4" for seam allowance plus 1" for the drawstring casing. When the bag is stuffed and closed, it will fit the dimensions you started with.

Ive got the sewing stuff down, been doing it for years... but I like the formula for finding the area I need will be helpful, thanks!

FD, great idea! I'll do it as soon as I can get out of work. Not looking good tho, have many deadlines and I'll probably be here all day. And I'll be distracted dreaming of getting home to deal the bags, rubberbands, RSnylon,.... :rolleyes: so sad...

Ewker
12-03-2006, 20:32
any good sites with instructions for making stuff sacks

Spock
12-04-2006, 13:00
Ewker,
Probably there are useful sites, but it is way too easy to bother with instructions. Silnylon is forgiving and does not really have to have finished edges if you give it 1/2 inch or so of seam allowance. You can turn out a couple of dozen of all sizes on a rainy day.

Two Speed
12-04-2006, 13:07
Make Your Own Silnylon Stuffsacks (http://thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=12&cid=5) on thru-hiker.com looks pretty good.

Cuffs
12-04-2006, 13:09
any good sites with instructions for making stuff sacks

Ive surfed long enough today for a pattern with not much success. I figured out the basic pattern and can make square (or rectangle) sacks out of one piece of fabric. I have plenty of RS nylon, so I will have plenty of "practice" pieces!

I'll try and figure out how to "draw" the pattern in a doc and then post it... (wish me luck on that one!)

Ewker
12-04-2006, 13:12
since I haven't used a sewing machine since who knows when I will try rectangular ones. No way do I want to attempt a round one right now.
Thanks for the link to thr-hiker.com.
Once completed I will post a pic.

Cuffs
12-04-2006, 13:38
OK, I have the pattern and basic directions in a Word doc. How do I get it here?

Just Jeff
12-04-2006, 14:04
Use the "go advanced" button. Type your message. Click the paperclip icon...you'll be able to browse for your file on your c: drive and upload it here. You have a maximum quota for the sizes of your uploaded files...over time it can fill up and you'll have to delete some, but one or two here and there isn't a problem.

Cuffs
12-04-2006, 17:18
Well, here goes...

I claim no responsibilty for the accuracy of these patterns, but wanted to share how Ive gone about making them out of just one cut piece of fabric...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2006, 17:53
Looks like a good design - simple, with few seams

general
12-04-2006, 22:07
as long as the pack is wide. much easier to cram more stuff into a pack that way.