PDA

View Full Version : Lost Pond Shelter Burnt Down AGAIN!

Minerva
12-01-2006, 20:00
Just got word that Lost Pond was recently burnt to the ground...AGAIN:mad: ...the second time in three years:confused: . "Shelter rats" should plan accordingly IOW, Peru Peak Shelter to the south 4.7 miles or Big Branch Shelter to the north 1.7 miles....MrsG :-?

Lone Wolf
12-01-2006, 20:01
arsonists or what?

Minerva
12-01-2006, 20:10
Wolf,
I don't know what happened, except it's now a charcoal site. "An investigation in underway" is all I know....tentsites are still available...I don't think they torched the privy :D
MG

woodsy
12-01-2006, 22:04
Damn shelter mice probably chewed through the wiring again:-? Open season on green mtn mice or who/whatever is responsible:mad:

Sleepy the Arab
12-01-2006, 23:24
Thru-hiked in '01. Spent the night at Lost Pond Shelter. It burns down soon after.
Thru-hiked in '06. Spent the night at Lost Pond Shelter. It burns down soon after.
(Nearly) Thru-hiked in '99. Did not stay at Lost Pond Shelter. It does burn down, but not soon after (see '01).

Maybe I am a walking curse? Should I thru-hike again, I'll not stay there for the sake of the GMC!

Lugnut
12-02-2006, 01:37
Lone Wolf would probably request that you stay in all of them. Every one knows how fond of shelters he is :D

TOW
12-02-2006, 09:43
Lone Wolf would probably request that you stay in all of them. Every one knows how fond of shelters he is :D
I hear tell throught the grapevine that might even be will to build one behind his house for Trail Days.............:D

Lone Wolf
12-02-2006, 09:48
Just got word that Lost Pond was recently burnt to the ground...AGAIN:mad: ...the second time in three years:confused: . "Shelter rats" should plan accordingly IOW, Peru Peak Shelter to the south 4.7 miles or Big Branch Shelter to the north 1.7 miles....MrsG :-?

On second thought, this is a good thing. 1 down, 100 something to go.:cool:

Lone Wolf
12-02-2006, 09:49
I hear tell throught the grapevine that might even be will to build one behind his house for Trail Days.............:D

Pretty unfriggin likely.:)

minnesotasmith
12-02-2006, 10:20
Why not rebuild them with stone? A stone shelter (there are many on the AT now, so there's no acceptability issue) is virtually fireproof. It would take heavy equipment or explosives for one major to seriously damage a stone shelter, which they're not likely to have on the AT.

TinAbbey
12-02-2006, 11:58
well when i think of stone shelters i think of snakes, maybe theres no connection...

The Snowman
12-02-2006, 15:24
stone shelters are a big promblem to remove if the trail is relocated

Sly
12-02-2006, 15:32
Hauling or gathering enough stone to build a shelter doesn't sound like much fun. Are you volunteering MS?

minnesotasmith
12-02-2006, 20:18
stone shelters are a big promblem to remove if the trail is relocated

I don't see what major problem a shelter no longer near enough to the AT to be useful to AT hikers presents. Now, if your point is that a stone shelter is hard to move, then, yes, that's a valid issue. However, not many AT shelters have the problem of periodic destruction by arson. This is an unusual problem meriting unusual solutions. Anyway, whether that section of trail is going to be reloed anytime soon should be information known by the local club.

frieden
12-03-2006, 02:08
Damn shelter mice probably chewed through the wiring again:-? Open season on green mtn mice or who/whatever is responsible:mad:

Wiring??? Wiring for what? Are there any shelters with wiring?

Sly
12-03-2006, 02:14
Wiring??? Wiring for what? Are there any shelters with wiring?

Must be Maine humor... :)

The Jerry Cabin Shelter had a phone, but it looked to be wireless. It didn't work either! ;)

woodsy
12-03-2006, 09:06
[quote=Sly;279901]Must be Maine humor... :)

Maine humor?:-? Good call Sly:D Not humorous that the shelter burned though for those that use them. Someone(s) has a real problem with this particular shelter being where it is according to the history of it .:(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-03-2006, 09:21
I'm not familiar with the location of this shelter - is it near a road crossing or other relatively short trail access? I know many shelters near road crossings get trashed and vandalized.

Since there appears to be another shelter only 1.7 miles north away, maybe this shelter shold not be replaced????

Lone Wolf
12-03-2006, 09:26
I'm not familiar with the location of this shelter - is it near a road crossing or other relatively short trail access? I know many shelters near road crossings get trashed and vandalized.

Since there appears to be another shelter only 1.7 miles north away, maybe this shelter shold not be replaced????

It's 3 miles from a road. Don't know about side trails. Theres 3 shelters within a mile there. Lost Pond, Old Job and Big Branch.

Poison
12-03-2006, 21:16
I have heard of tons of problems with the locals in that area of Vermont. When I was finishing up my thru-hike, I had to go back to do this section of VT and stayed at Lost Pond Shelter. It was clean and in great condition.

However, the next day (this is probably around October 2nd) it was pouring rain and cold. I got to Governor Clement Shelter (19 miles) around 4pm and set up in the shelter. After getting settled in my sleeping bag, a woman from the GMC showed up at the shelter and told me that it is definitely not wise to stay there because someone had been beaten up there a few nights earlier and there was a history of unsafe events at the shelter. I didn't see that in my Wingfoot book til after the fact! I hauled ass up to Cooper Lodge as fast as I could!

In addition, I had heard that at the road crossing north of Lost Pond Shelter there had been a terrible incident of vandalism in which the windows of several cars were smashed and the cars were rolled down a hill.

I'm sure whatever happened to Lost Pond Shelter is definitely related to some of the other events that have happened recently.

Poison
12-03-2006, 22:05
Oooops. I made a mistake. I just consulted the good ole Wingfoot book...I mixed up Lost Pond Shelter and Little Rock Pond Shelter. They are about 6 miles apart....I never even stopped in to see Lost Pond Shelter! Either way, its no excuse for some of the CRAP vandalism that takes place up there in VT.

woodsy
12-03-2006, 22:45
Quote:
In addition, I had heard that at the road crossing north of Lost Pond Shelter there had been a terrible incident of vandalism in which the windows of several cars were smashed and the cars were rolled down a hill.
-----------------
Same thing is happening in the Whites, vehicle's being vandalized in many areas. Any good booby trap suggestions?

The Old Fhart
12-03-2006, 22:52
Minnesota Smith-"Why not rebuild them with stone? A stone shelter (there are many on the AT now, so there's no acceptability issue) is virtually fireproof."Anyone who has hiked the A.T. knows there are no stone shelters on the A.T.. In GSMNP there are shelters built with stone walls and fireplaces but the roof rafters and beams are wood. You also don't sleep on stone or dirt but on wooden platforms. All these shelters (and a few in NY) could be heavily damaged by fire and would have to be rebuilt before they could be used. The stone walls might survive a fire but could be damaged or cracked by the high heat of a fire as well. This is no different than a "brick" house that burns leaving just the walls and has to be leveled because the remaining brickwork and cement is no longer structurally sound. An engineer might be able to explain the physics of this to you.

The only "stone" shelter I've visited is Muir Hut at 11,996 feet and that has a cone or dome shaped roof so it needs no wood in the roof. The inside also has stone seats around the inside wall that you might sleep on.

A few other shelters (Don Nelan, Key Gap, Silver Hill) have been burned or damaged by fire over the years as well.

TJ aka Teej
12-03-2006, 23:54
A few other shelters (Don Nelan, Key Gap, Silver Hill) have been burned or damaged by fire over the years as well.

A memory test! :D Didn't the one just north of Hanover (Trapper John?) burn down- just the chimney left?, and in my Dad's day the old one above O Joy Brook on the Hunt trail. And the way so many are getting scorched by alky stoves there'll be more soon, I think.

Sorry to hear this Mrs Gorp, a real shame.

Sleepy the Arab
12-04-2006, 00:56
I can't help wonder if it is truly worth rebuilding this shelter. It certainly seems like someone (disgruntled hunter, hiker or ganja grower) has a grudge against it. Whatever the case, it's a strain on GMC resources and money. Not only that, but there is a perfectly serviceable shelter less than two miles north. How about converting it to a designated camping area? Keep the privy and the washpit, and rehab the site with a couple of hardened (dirt, please dirt!) tentsites.

Skyline
12-04-2006, 01:29
Must be Maine humor... :)

The Jerry Cabin Shelter had a phone, but it looked to be wireless. It didn't work either! ;)

Was wireless before wireless was cool. :-)

SGT Rock
12-04-2006, 05:53
Sounds like a bad place to waste valuable resources rebuilding a shelter of any type because it will most likely get burned down again. If these folks are really intent at getting rid of that shelter, then a stone one won't stand a chance either. Hauling heavier building supplies in there to make a new one in hopes it won't get destroyed either sounds like bad management of workers and money.

Stop wasting valuable resources on a shelter. Hikers should be able to survive hiking through that section without a shelter anyway.

generoll
12-04-2006, 06:53
Don't forget the Blood Mountain shelter. That one is of stone. Coldest shelter in the southern mountains as far as I am concerned.

The Old Fhart
12-04-2006, 07:34
TJ aka Teej-"Didn't the one just north of Hanover (Trapper John?) burn down- just the chimney left?........"
generoll-"Don't forget the Blood Mountain shelter."I wasn't trying to make an all inclusive list but thanks for pointing out those shelters as well. Again, as I pointed out with the others, the Blood Mountain shelter has wooden rafters, etc., and therefore isn't fireproof.

Lone Wolf
12-04-2006, 07:40
Back in the day Jerry Cabin shelter was burnt by ATVers. The roof is wood. They used to ride all over that mountain.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2006, 08:34
While we are discussing shelter materials - have any shelters used the relatively new steel framing materials? As I understand it, this material is lighter than same-size treated wood and has several advantages in residential construction that might make it a plausible choice for trail maintenance groups:
Cost less than both traditional lumber and (much less than) treated wood
Non-flammable & termite proof
Won't support mold growth, warp, creep, or bow
Won't swell or shrink due to moisture or changing temperatures
No nail-pops because of screwed connections
Highest recycled content of any building product

Mouse
12-04-2006, 16:09
Maybe a shelter made of mouse bones? No, wait; how about vandal bones?:-?

Jan LiteShoe
12-04-2006, 17:24
I have heard of tons of problems with the locals in that area of Vermont. When I was finishing up my thru-hike, I had to go back to do this section of VT and stayed at Lost Pond Shelter. It was clean and in great condition.

I'm sure whatever happened to Lost Pond Shelter is definitely related to some of the other events that have happened recently..

I'm not sure why that is because every Vermonter I met was pleasant.
But when I hiked the Long Trail in 2002, I returned to North Adams to find the rear window of my new Subaru smashed out, along with a cracked front windshield. Cops said it had been vandals, and they'd trashed other cars at the edge of town.
That "incident" made it quite an expensive trip, as my then-auto insurance deduction was $1,000. Ouch! The car had been parked at a car repair shop that charged to let you park. I should say,they declined to charge me for the month. :)

I second the calls for a designated camp spot. It's a lovely spot.

generoll
12-04-2006, 17:58
as a side light, had this (vandalism and burning) occured in Tennessee or one of the other southern, 'bible belt' states, I have to wonder if the posters would be so understanding.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2006, 18:17
as a side light, had this (vandalism and burning) occured in Tennessee or one of the other southern, 'bible belt' states, I have to wonder if the posters would be so understanding.

Maybe a shelter made of mouse bones? No, wait; how about vandal bones?:-?I'm thinking yes ;)

oruoja
12-04-2006, 22:48
Lost Pond can easily be accessed via an old logging road just a short distance from the shelter where the AT/LT crosses the culvert south of the shelter. Most of the vandalism occurs at USFS Road 10 and has been a problem for years, hence one should never overnight park there. The Gov Clement shelter situation has also been ongoing for many years. It's too bad since the location is nice, but despite all the discussion nothing has been done to try and remedy the situation. The truth of the matter up here is that it is only a small group who causes the problems, but even in the off chance they are caught not much if anything is done to them. Many sites (trailheads) on the Long Trail north of the AT also are routine problem spots. The GMC has not even mentioned the loss of Lost Pond shelter on their website. Agree that no new shelter is needed at the site, just create better tenting sites.

Dances with Mice
12-04-2006, 23:29
Maybe its some sort of tradition (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4497408.stm).

JoeHiker
12-05-2006, 12:43
It's a shame. I stayed there 2 years ago (shortly after it had been rebuilt) and it was quite nice. I think a designated campground is the way to go.

Ender
12-05-2006, 12:58
The only "stone" shelter I've visited is Muir Hut at 11,996 feet and that has a cone or dome shaped roof so it needs no wood in the roof. The inside also has stone seats around the inside wall that you might sleep on

I've been there. They ask you not to sleep there because they don't want anyone using the fragile surrounding area to go to the bathroom, but I stayed up there (made sure I used the "facilities" before I got there). Apparently though, if it rains, the roof isn't all that waterproof at all, so having a tarp or something to throw over you to keep your bag dry is a good idea. It will keep out the wind though.

Gorgeous area too... one of my favorite sections of the PCT that I've hiked so far.

JoeHiker
10-17-2007, 16:17
I realize this is a bit late but does anyone know what the current status of Lost Pond Shelter is? I'm hiking that section of the Long Trail in Vermont this weekend and was planning on staying there. I had forgotten that it burned down again. Is it still gone or did they rebuild it?

Lone Wolf
10-17-2007, 16:24
nope. it's gone

Sly
10-17-2007, 16:28

Not that Northern vs Southern thang again? Who's understanding? All vandals need to shot with rock salt.

JoeHiker
10-17-2007, 16:33
Bummer.

Actually I guess it doesn't matter all that much since I can hammock camp anywhere. But somehow I feel a little more secure knowing that there's a shelter nearby. No idea why I feel that way as it was only a 3-sided shelter, but there you have it.

Thanks, LW

Cookerhiker
10-17-2007, 16:43
I realize this is a bit late but does anyone know what the current status of Lost Pond Shelter is? I'm hiking that section of the Long Trail in Vermont this weekend and was planning on staying there. I had forgotten that it burned down again. Is it still gone or did they rebuild it?

Are you hiking north? Big Branch Shelter is less than 2 miles further - good shelter, good water.

JoeHiker
10-17-2007, 16:50
Actually no, I'm heading south. Lost Pond on Thursday Night, then Spruce Peak on Friday night and Goddard on Saturday. I could stop at Big Branch but that will give me another hour to cover on Friday and I don't want to have more than one day in which I'm pushing

I finally just started checking TrailJournals from this year and I see I could have answered my own question without asking it. But apparently people still camp there quite a bit so I'm hoping at least the privy is working.

Minerva
10-17-2007, 16:54
JoeHiker,
Plans to rebuild the shelter began in January 2007, but it's a slooooooooooow process. There is great tenting and hammocking at the site, a privy and a good water source. Lots of trees too. Wear blaze orange! It's bear, archery for deer and racoon huntin' season. Bring ketchup.
MrsG

Pedaling Fool
10-17-2007, 17:02
JoeHiker,
Plans to rebuild the shelter began in January 2007, but it's a slooooooooooow process. There is great tenting and hammocking at the site, a privy and a good water source. Lots of trees too. Wear blaze orange! It's bear, archery for deer and racoon huntin' season. Bring ketchup.
MrsG
Seems like GMC could spend the money and man-power in better endeavors.

JoeHiker
10-17-2007, 17:12
Possibly but most of the people seem to want the shelters to be there.

JoeHiker
10-17-2007, 17:13
JoeHiker,
MrsG

I stayed there in 2004 and I liked it. That's why I'm heading back. Unfortunately I don't have anything orange or otherwise flourescent. Hope I don't get shot.

hammock engineer
10-17-2007, 17:37
I took a poo in the privy lasty month or so. The plumbing still works. Parts of the old shelter are still stacked up for use as wirefood. So if you want a campfire, there are more than enough big logs. Good looking campsite.

oruoja
10-18-2007, 19:26
Actually no, I'm heading south. Lost Pond on Thursday Night, then Spruce Peak on Friday night and Goddard on Saturday. I could stop at Big Branch but that will give me another hour to cover on Friday and I don't want to have more than one day in which I'm pushing

I finally just started checking TrailJournals from this year and I see I could have answered my own question without asking it. But apparently people still camp there quite a bit so I'm hoping at least the privy is working.

I was just up at Baker Peak and Griffith Lake last week and Little Rock Pond yesterday. If you are going south it's really not that far to get to Peru shelter on easy trail and the shelter was in good shape along with the adjoining tent platform.

Cookerhiker
10-18-2007, 19:36
I was just up at Baker Peak and Griffith Lake last week and Little Rock Pond yesterday. If you are going south it's really not that far to get to Peru shelter on easy trail and the shelter was in good shape along with the adjoining tent platform.

Hiking SOBO, I would not describe the descent down Baker Peak as "easy trail" with its steep, pointed, occasionally loose angled rocks. It's the kind of slope that's not hard to ascend NOBO but you have to be careful and take it slow going down.

Otherwise I agree Lost Pond side trail to Peru Peak shelter is fairly easy. I also stayed in Peru Peak shelter and liked it. One advantage is good water close by.

Jan LiteShoe
10-18-2007, 20:41
JoeHiker,
MrsG

Okay, I'll bite.
What's the ketchup for?
I'll probably regret asking ...
:)

Cookerhiker
10-18-2007, 20:45
Okay, I'll bite.
What's the ketchup for?
I'll probably regret asking ...

JoeHiker,
MrsG

I like ketchup on my racoon but I won't eat it without a bun and onions.:D

Minerva
10-18-2007, 20:55
Condiments for JanL's Long Trail Game Cookbook:

Ketchup for the grilled coon burgers
A-1 sauce for the bear stew
Creole Seasoning for the deer steaks

Garlic, Salt and Pepper are always good too.

Jan LiteShoe
10-18-2007, 21:58
Condiments for JanL's Long Trail Game Cookbook:

Ketchup for the grilled coon burgers
A-1 sauce for the bear stew
Creole Seasoning for the deer steaks

Garlic, Salt and Pepper are always good too.

What?!!!
No Grey Poupon?
Sacre Bleu!

JoeHiker
10-22-2007, 13:28
Well I hammocked there. I felt bad because there was a couple headed there to tent who I passed on the trail. When they saw me set up there... well I guess there weren't too many places to tent so they went on down the trail and tented there.

Anyway I really like this site. Great stream very nearby. I do hope they rebuild the shelter eventually. Did they ever figure out who burned it down and if it was intentional?

Jeff
10-22-2007, 14:27
Minerva & others,

Is there a website stating the different hunting seasons in Vermont?

Lone Wolf
10-22-2007, 14:36
www.vtfishandwildlife.com
click on hunting and trapping then seasons and dates

Tin Man
10-22-2007, 14:44
www.vtfishandwildlife.com (http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com)
click on hunting and trapping then seasons and dates

I looked, but it doesn't say when shelter hunting is in season or when you can use torches versus explosives.

JoeHiker
10-08-2009, 15:41
Has anyone seen the newly built version? Stayed there? How is it? Any photos?

I'll probably sectioning this weekend or next (or both!) and I'd like to stay there, or near there, in my hammock. I have a sentimental attachment. It's the first place I ever camped out in the woods.

Jeff
10-08-2009, 16:29
Was there in September. Very well constructed. Sleeps about 6.

Still trying to figure out how they got the materials in there. It is a long way from the road!!!!

Blissful
10-08-2009, 19:54
Can't believe they rebuilt it.

Lilred
10-08-2009, 22:24
Was there in September. Very well constructed. Sleeps about 6.

Still trying to figure out how they got the materials in there. It is a long way from the road!!!!

I've heard they drop the lumber by helicopter

Yukon
10-09-2009, 07:52
I've heard they drop the lumber by helicopter

You would be correct, I remember them doing that for the Goddard shelter as well, which is 10 miles from any road.

celt
10-09-2009, 09:03

After Lost Pond burned down the first time in November 2001 it was rebuilt in October 2002 using draft horses to haul materials to the work site. There are some old logging roads in the near the shelter. The shelter was constructed entirely using hand tools and no power equipment.

The GMC's Long Trail News hasn't reported how the materials for the newest shelter got to the remote site. The shelter is in the Big Branch Wilderness so normally any power or mechanized equipment isn't allowed, including wheels.

Cookerhiker
10-10-2012, 14:57
Stayed in Lost Pond Shelter 3 nights ago - everything was fine, no night visitors (or I slept through them!). Water is nearby and plentiful but down a very steep embankment so try to get there before dark.