PDA

View Full Version : Where do I learn about Cell phones/PDA/ Blackberry?

Uncle Tom
12-02-2006, 11:33
I tried to get this info from FAQ and didn't have any luck. I would assume this is a major area of info. I would like to type up journal entries on the trail and then e-mail them out. I do not mind carrying a light micro-keyboard. I want to receive e-mails as well. I do not want to keep a phone on all the time, but want to use it to call out maybe once every other day. I thought about Pocketmail, but am hearing it may not be 100 % for my Through-hike in 2007. People are telling me i need a Blackberry. Help!
Tom Jamrog

Sly
12-02-2006, 11:55
I thought about Pocketmail, but am hearing it may not be 100 % for my Through-hike in 2007.

I'm not sure what you mean by that..... are you trying to say they'll end service?

I would think typing emails on a Blackberry would be troublesome and slow, but I don't actually own one so I'm not sure. Same with PDA's and cellphones. If I'm not mistaken you need pocketmail service to trasmit email with a PDA or a wireless connection. Cellphones screens are small. Atleast with a Pockemail you have a full keyboard and the intitial expense and service doesn't cost as much.

All said, there's probably someone else here that can help or just Google the devices....

halftime
12-02-2006, 12:36
I tried to get this info from FAQ and didn't have any luck. I would assume this is a major area of info. I would like to type up journal entries on the trail and then e-mail them out. I do not mind carrying a light micro-keyboard. I want to receive e-mails as well. I do not want to keep a phone on all the time, but want to use it to call out maybe once every other day. I thought about Pocketmail, but am hearing it may not be 100 % for my Through-hike in 2007. People are telling me i need a Blackberry. Help!
Tom Jamrog

Have heard that Verizon has the most reliable service along the AT.

This link might help you. The smart phones (such as Treo) can also serve as a camera and are equipped to handle a folding keyboard.

http://estore.vzwshop.com/search/devices/pda.html

Sly
12-02-2006, 12:49
Have heard that Verizon has the most reliable service along the AT.

This link might help you. The smart phones (such as Treo) can also serve as a camera and are equipped to handle a folding keyboard.

http://estore.vzwshop.com/search/devices/pda.html

I see some of them have a QWERTY same as the Pocketmail. That helps. I suppose those devices are making a serious dent in Pockemail services and sales. They definitely have advantages, at a cost.

Cuffs
12-02-2006, 13:02
I just ask that you be aware of your surroundings (people) when using such devices. I dont want to keep hearing "can you hear me now? Im on XX mountain, I have 3 bars, why cant you hear me?"

Sly
12-02-2006, 13:14
I just ask that you be aware of your surroundings (people) when using such devices. I dont want to keep hearing "can you hear me now? Im on XX mountain, I have 3 bars, why cant you hear me?"

Yeah, I've had my serene wilderness experience interrupted several times, but it was more like this, "You'll never guess where I am!" in that louder than normal voice.

Uncle Tom
12-02-2006, 14:11
Actually, my larger concern is folks without a phone hitting on me to use mine. I live in rural ME and really despise the sort of thing you refer to. I won't be yelling on th phone to mom in the shelter.

Cuffs
12-02-2006, 14:30
Actually, my larger concern is folks without a phone hitting on me to use mine. I live in rural ME and really despise the sort of thing you refer to. I won't be yelling on th phone to mom in the shelter.

Thats very much appreciated! I only have a cell phone. No house phone. I use it for personal and business, so its with me aalllll the time. BUT, I will not answer in a restaurant, in a meeting (usually turn it on "silent"), while in a store, or any other time that is inappropriate. To me, its just common courtesy and manners...

halftime
12-03-2006, 02:12

I agree ALHikerGal. Not just on the trail but anywhere. Especially while driving a car.

That said many hikers carry a cell phone to stay in touch with their families. Almost all carry a camera and some pocket email devices . The smart phones give an advantage as being all three in one unit. Some can be equipped with GPS as well. This does come at a price however.

Sly
12-03-2006, 02:27
I agree ALHikerGal. Not just on the trail but anywhere. Especially while driving a car.

That said many hikers carry a cell phone to stay in touch with their families. Almost all carry a camera and some pocket email devices . The smart phones give an advantage as being all three in one unit. Some can be equipped with GPS as well. This does come at a price however.

For the most part smart/cellphone cameras aren't worth much. It's easy enough to call home when you reach town via land line and cheap enough with a calling card. The price of a decent smart phone $300 after discount with a 2 year subscription that runs $50 a month or more = $1500.

A decent digital camera = $200
A calling card for the trail = $100
A pocketmail device with 6 months subscription = $200

The advantage of the latter... save $1000.

gumball
12-03-2006, 07:32
I have a blackberry. I don't carry it with me on hikes, mostly b/c my husband carries a phone that is lighter for emergencies. But we long distance section, we haven't thru hiked--so I haven't had the need to email journals, etc.

In general, my husband's ability to get phone service (same company as my Blackberry) is spotty when he has checked coverage while we are out--that's not to say it never works, you just need to know while you are actually on the trail, your cell coverage will be at the whim of the mountains and airways.

Regarding the Blackberry, it is a great do-it-all device. You can do all those things you mentioned with it. I have no problem with the screen clarity when I am emailing or using the internet. The batteries on Blackberries are typically not great, but there are extra strength/longer life ones you can purchase. If I were going to thru with one, I'd definitely take a back up battery.

I'd suggest taking a look at the new model, the Pearl--its supposed to be much lighter than our traditional Blackberry and, since I count ounces and since my BB is a little heavier than I like...well, its another reason it stays at home. Plus, I use it so much for work-life, I shudder to think of what may happen to it when I am out hiking. It isn't a cheap device!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

gum

gumball
12-03-2006, 07:34
PS, one other thing. Typing emails and journal entries, or entries like this onto WB--no problem on the BB. You just have to get used to the little keyboard. But I check WB and might post while travelling somewhere all the time. I can type with my thumbs, oddly enough, as well as I can with all 5 fingers.

Sorry, forgot to mention that.

StarLyte
12-03-2006, 08:26
I have transcribed in the past, and I can tell you that the hikers I've spoken to prefer the pocketmail device.

The pocketmail is uploaded into a phone thru a toll free number to the address you have programmed it to.

The last transcription I did for a hiker, he posted the information into his yahoo acccount, which I cut-n-pasted and edited into his trailjournals.com account.

It was very simple.

In the past 3 weeks I met 2 long distance hikers: Stumpknocker and Roni from Israel, and they both say that the pocketmail device is the best for them.

Good luck! :sun

Moose2001
12-03-2006, 09:12
I've used the same pocketmail for 3 thru hikes with journals on each of them. I've never had a problem with mine or with the Pocketmail service. I would recommend Pocketmail over the Blackberry if for nothing else, cost.

The biggest problem I've seen with the Pocketmail is people not protecting them from water. Even a small amount of dampness and you'll have major problems. I put mine in a ziplock bag and store it inside the trash compactor bag at the bottom of my pack. I've never had a problem.

I also recommend you use lithium batteries. I typically get 3 months on a set. That's with using the device every day and multiple times in town.

judypudy
12-03-2006, 10:00
I've been eyeing the new LG env that is regular cell phone size, 4 oz, has a full keyboard, and can send and receive e-mail.

Both Bone-Pac and Upload and Stitches used a Treo last year on their thru hikes - Bone Pac did lose his pictures starting somewhere in New England.

It seems like the advantage of the cell phone is that in addition to a Pocketmail type device, you also have a cell phone. Like pocketmail, you could compose your email journal anytime and send it when you get service.

The advantage of a Smartphone would be that you can actually access the internet - like go to a supplier's website and order a replacement part for a piece of gear. So you don't have to spend time in town looking for the library or internet cafe.

Some of my co-workers have that LG phone .... but they seem to mainly use it's extra features to download music videos rather than send email.

Brushy Sage
12-07-2006, 19:43
Ii'm seeing more and more people sporting those receivers in their ear. Is that a bluetooth device (I'm still not up to speed on them)? Are they appearing on the trails yet?

Booley
12-07-2006, 20:16
Ii'm seeing more and more people sporting those receivers in their ear. Is that a bluetooth device (I'm still not up to speed on them)? Are they appearing on the trails yet?

Man I hope not. Yes it is bluetooth. One more way to get brain cancer!