PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

Cuffs
12-02-2006, 12:27
How many backpacks, tents, stoves, bags... should I have? Im on my way to becoming my own store. And now I see one of the stores that Im a "frequent flier" at has a pack on sale that Ive been looking for. What to do?:o

Is there such a thing as "too much gear?"

Lone Wolf
12-02-2006, 12:28
You can never have enuf guns either.

Cuffs
12-02-2006, 12:36
You can never have enuf guns either.

Ive got that department covered already... I usually get one for Christmas from Dad. (or a knife or some other utilitarian tool)
Even got one as a (get this!) wedding gift! from dear ol' Dad. (matched set, consecutive serials, holsters...)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-02-2006, 12:46
If you have to ask, you're already in trouble :D

copythat
12-02-2006, 12:56
How many backpacks, tents, stoves, bags... should I have? Im on my way to becoming my own store. And now I see one of the stores that Im a "frequent flier" at has a pack on sale that Ive been looking for. What to do?:o

1. Admit that you are powerless over gear - that your life has become unmanageable!

Just Jeff
12-02-2006, 13:07
Hehe - I know a girl who got a lifetime NRA membership from her dad for her sweet 16.

But gear? Never enough.

Footslogger
12-02-2006, 13:08
I think there's kind of a "dynamic equilibrium" when it comes to hikers and gear. Lets call it "Gearostasis". It's akin to homeostasis. Much like the human body eliminates excess (regardless of how much we pour down our throats) a hiker accumulates gear until it reaches critical mass and then they logon to eBay ...it's a normal and healthy process.

There is no such thing as "too much". At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

'Slogger

LostInSpace
12-02-2006, 15:14
As long as you can find a place to put it, you don't have too much gear. When you are forced to keep it outside or get rid of something to make room, then you have probably hit the limit. Unless it broke, wore out, got lost, or I can't remember to whom I lent/gave it, its still in my thirty-year gear collection!

... and even if you have multiple pastimes that require "gear", the same rules still apply.

PS: It doesn't really matter whether or not you use it all. it's the collecting that important. :rolleyes:

Peaks
12-02-2006, 19:06
Well, there's always something that's hyped as new and improved. So, us gear heads all rush out and buy it.

And, while we are on the subject, if I can fit everything I need into a 4000 ci pack or smaller, then why is our 4 bedroom house and 2 car garage bulging at the seams with stuff?

Frosty
12-02-2006, 19:16

Is there such a thing as "too much gear?"Too much is never enough.

MOWGLI
12-02-2006, 19:46
Too much is never enough.

It takes dynamite to get me up.
Too much of everything is just enough.
One more thing: I just got to say,
I need a miracle every day!

Chip
12-02-2006, 19:49
Not to worry ! You are just like some of the rest of us :D your a gearhead !! You are now prepared for any and everything ! :)

Chip
12-02-2006, 19:52
Not to worry ! You are just like some of the rest of us :D your a gearhead !! You are now prepared for any and everything ! :)

oops, I meant " you are a gearhead " :D

LostInSpace
12-02-2006, 19:56

Yes, you are prepared for anything while you are at home, but if you don't take everything with you when you step out the door, are you really prepared? :confused: :eek:

Hana_Hanger
12-02-2006, 20:18
And, while we are on the subject, if I can fit everything I need into a 4000 ci pack or smaller, then why is our 4 bedroom house and 2 car garage bulging at the seams with stuff?

LOL makes you wonder huh?:p

neo
12-02-2006, 20:21

:D i know the feeling my wife jumps on me all the time about my over abundace of gear,not just mine but for the whole family:cool: neo

Doctari
12-02-2006, 20:33
I'm confused :eek:

I understand the phrase "Too much"
I also understand the word "Gear"

But used together in a sentence, (ie: "Too much gear") that confuses me. What do you mean?!?!?!?!

I have: 14 tents, 2 sleeping bags, 2 hammocks, 2 tarps, 4 backpacks, 2 gasoine stove, uncountable alcohol stoves, etc. yet I still look at everything in the outdoor store with an eye to buying.

I'm the only hiker in my house.

Doctari.

LostInSpace
12-02-2006, 20:37
Doctari, it seems the tents/hammocks/tarps ratio to sleeping bags to backpacks is unbalanced. Perhaps you should bump up the count of the latter two. :D

Doctari
12-02-2006, 20:41
Doctari, it seems the tents/hammocks/tarps ratio to sleeping bags to backpacks is unbalanced. Perhaps you should bump up the count of the latter two. :D

Working on it, much to my wifes annoyance. :rolleyes:

ANOTHER (Name of gear item here)? WHAT DO YOU NEED THAT FOR?!?!?!?!

Doctari.

Chip
12-02-2006, 20:41
Yes, you are prepared for anything while you are at home, but if you don't take everything with you when you step out the door, are you really prepared? :confused: :eek:

Just joking around, "prepared for any or everything" based on all the gear one has.:) I don't take myself so seriously, collecting gear can as much fun as hiking. You can pick the gear you need based on the type of backpack (number of days or based on what season of the year it might be).

littlelaurel59
12-02-2006, 21:38
ANOTHER (Name of gear item here)? WHAT DO YOU NEED THAT FOR?!?!?!?!
Doctari.

I have found a solution to buying more gear for oneself. I buy it for my 13 year old son. He's getting a new pack for Christmas, and a tent next year for his birthday.
Then we go hiking together and I get to use some of it. :banana