PDA

View Full Version : Just how far?

freefall
12-03-2006, 06:49
How far are you willing to go to get to a shelter or campsite?

neighbor dave
12-03-2006, 08:02
:-? 30 miles:jump especially if it's rainin' an' the shelter has a t.v. and beer:jump

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-03-2006, 08:08
Camp away from shelters and established campsites - normally involves walking into the woods about .2 to .3 miles to be out of sight.

StarLyte
12-03-2006, 08:18
I usual hustle to get to shelter so I don't have to pack my tent, but if I do tent, it's within site of the shelter. Unless I'm with someone and we want to be alone ;) which is rare :o

freefall
12-03-2006, 08:48
I usually camp near the shelter, just because of the social aspect and water. The few times I tried to camp off on my own, I was usually not alone as others had the same idea and happened to pick the same location. Guess I need to pick better stealth sites.

Kerosene
12-03-2006, 11:51
Half a mile isn't too bad, unless it's all downhill.

freefall
12-03-2006, 13:29
Half a mile isn't too bad, unless it's all downhill.

Yeah- lot's of people complained about the Sarver Hollow shelter because of this. It's .4 STRAIGHT downhill from the trail. But it is a great location: nice views, a boxed spring , good campsites for hammockers and ground dwellers alike and an old homestead to explore. Not to mention it's 666.0 miles from Springer- makes for good conversation while cooking and getting settled.

Just Jeff
12-03-2006, 16:13
...it's 666.0 miles from Springer...

Off topic, but the address of my wife's grandfather's church is 666. If I were clergy there, I'd have requested a change. Or maybe just get a PO Box or something...mailing something to a church at 666 Anystreet is kinda creepy.

There's also an apartment building here in Monterey that's 666 Hilby St. I think they're proud of it b/c they have the normal 666 address posted, then a big huge 666 over the doorway...like 24" letters.

But then, some people just don't think about things like this...maybe they never even realized it. My wife's grandfather didn't understand when I commented on the numbers...so I just let it go.

freefall
12-03-2006, 17:01
Off topic, but the address of my wife's grandfather's church is 666. If I were clergy there, I'd have requested a change. Or maybe just get a PO Box or something...mailing something to a church at 666 Anystreet is kinda creepy.

There's also an apartment building here in Monterey that's 666 Hilby St. I think they're proud of it b/c they have the normal 666 address posted, then a big huge 666 over the doorway...like 24" letters.

But then, some people just don't think about things like this...maybe they never even realized it. My wife's grandfather didn't understand when I commented on the numbers...so I just let it go.

I would think this would be like so many buildings not having a 13th floor. Superstition might not be real- but why take the chance? To me having that address (666) would be an invitation to demons, etc..or at the very least become the target of cults or the like.

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2006, 17:38
It depends entirely on the weather.

When it's pouring rain out, even half a mile isn't far if you know there's a
shelter at the end of it, and even if you have to go uphill the next morning to get back to the Trail, it's a small price to pay. The only thing worse than breaking down camp in horrible weather is settitng it up.

MOWGLI
12-03-2006, 17:44
I went to the Whitley Gap Shelter in GA in 2000. I believe it's 1.5 miles off the trail. Downhill.

max patch
12-03-2006, 18:47
I went to the Whitley Gap Shelter in GA in 2000. I believe it's 1.5 miles off the trail. Downhill.

So did I. I woke up in the morning to the rangers doing manuevers, which was kinda cool. I knew about the rangers, but I've always wondered what the reaction would be of someone who didn't know about the rangers in the area -- they'd have to think they were in a war zone or something.

tarbender
12-06-2006, 11:41
Took the 1 mile blue blaze to the Old job shelter. Later that night while reading the shelter register I discovered that there was a sweet blueblaze running south that hooked back up to the AT. Another thru had obviously had maps had been at the shelter via the blue blaze and had logged it. I took the blue blaze and it was marked decent and I did not see another hiker while I was on it. It was kind of pretty back there too. I remember it started out along the creek near the shelter. Blue blazing is not the devil. I think it is a worthy thing to do as long as every instance isn't about saving miles or time. Rainbowblaze the AT!

-jeff aka frankenfeet

Footslogger
12-06-2006, 11:55
I would go a lot farther off trail to a shelter at the beginning of my hike than I would later on.

As to exactly how far ...depends on how bad I want to get to the shelter.

Weather and water sources can drive hikers to do things they ordinarily wouldn't do.

'Slogger

saimyoji
12-06-2006, 16:17
ainbowblaze the AT!

Uh oh...here we go again....:eek: :D

saimyoji
12-06-2006, 16:18
Uh oh...here we go again....:eek: :D

Make that Rainbowblaze.

freefall
12-06-2006, 20:41
I would go a lot farther off trail to a shelter at the beginning of my hike than I would later on.

As to exactly how far ...depends on how bad I want to get to the shelter.

Weather and water sources can drive hikers to do things they ordinarily wouldn't do.

'Slogger
I was the exact opposite. I wouldn't go more than .25 off the trail at the beginning but wouldn't hesitate to go well over .5 later on. I was looking for the solitude more towards the end.

general
12-06-2006, 23:30
miles walked to a shelter are bonus miles, that means you can yellow blaze the same mileage at a later date.