PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a fear of heights???

pumatrack
12-03-2006, 17:16
Ready to do my much anticipated thru hike but have heard a couple of times that it isn't for someone with a fear of heights... What should I worry about? Where? I've run the Grand Canyon and that doesn't bother me.. Any worries ? :confused:

MOWGLI
12-03-2006, 17:34
:welcome I've heard the Bear Mountain Bridge gives some folks the willies.

No worries though. There isn't anything like Half Dome on the AT.

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2006, 17:36
I'm horrified of heights, especially looking straight down from way up high.

But if you've been in the Grand Canyon, I think you'll be fine. There are really VERY few places on the A.T. where you're on a precipice or a cliff....in most cases, these places are "scenic view" places off to the side of the Trail, and you don't have to go near the edge, i.e. you don't even get near the drop unless you wanna go out there and look down.

You'll be fine.

Mouse
12-03-2006, 18:05
I certainly had a fear of heights by the time I finished the Trail. Wildcat Cliffs coming up out of Pinkham Notch was especially unnerving, with more than one spot where the only way up seemed to involve depending on the friction of my body against the rock to hold myself up, with nothing to stop me if I slipped. That was the closest I've ever come to being nauseous from fear.

Interestingly, Katahdin did not bother me. It was more from going up near vertical faces with nothing to grab. Yikes!

shades of blue
12-03-2006, 18:17
99% of the time there will be nothing to worry about. I believe that one thing about hiking the trail is that you learn to overcome your fears. My big fear is lightening. I still respect mother nature (in a very big way) but I'm not overly afraid of her. You learn to take what the trail gives you on a daily/hourly basis. You never know what is just around the bend of a trail, who you are going to meet, how you're going to get into town, weather, ect. You learn to roll with the trail. Don't let the fear of :heights, storms, people, dogs, whatever keep you from acheiving whatever dream or goal that you have. You'll be a stronger person for it. You will also learn what you really have to fear, become prepared for it, then leave the fear behind. At least, that was my experience.

Doctari
12-03-2006, 18:18
I am absolutly terrified of heights. :eek:
But sorry, I'm no help, I happen to like the feeling. :p :D

Doctari.

saimyoji
12-03-2006, 18:41
The thing to remember about heights: its not the height you are afraid of, but falling from that height. To help with this fear, just remember: its not the fall that hurts you. In fact many people get to like the feeling of falling. Its the sudden stop at the bottom that ruins your day. :eek: :D

Sly
12-03-2006, 18:59
Being blind in one eye and the resultant lack of depth perception has left me somewhat tentative. I don't have an extreme fear of heights, but you'd never see me hanging my feet off MacAfee Knob or perched atop of the Dragon's Tooth

Spirit Walker
12-03-2006, 19:00
I am not afraid of heights, but of falling. On the AT there were several places where that fear kicked in, sometimes really badly. But as others have said, you learn to take it one step at a time, moving forward as quickly or slowly as you need to get through the difficult patches. Each time you successfully pass through an experience that scares you, you gain confidence. The fear may never completely go away, but you learn how to live with it. I've never let the fear stop me for long (though when you see me standing frozen in the middle of a wet log six feet above a creek, you might wonder if I'm ever going to get it in gear1:-)

Sly
12-03-2006, 19:04
I've never let the fear stop me for long (though when you see me standing frozen in the middle of a wet log six feet above a creek, you might wonder if I'm ever going to get it in gear1:-)

LOL... Fording isn't your forte either! ;)

Webs
12-03-2006, 19:40
i'm very fond of heights ;)
but i'll admit that the fire towers on top of some mountains are rickety and old and nerve-racking! esp the one atop albert mountain.....but man, what a view! :banana

Mouse
12-03-2006, 19:56
I agree, it was the fear of falling that really got to me.

The_Truth
04-27-2011, 22:09
Sorry to necro this post but it's right on topic for me.

Anyone have a list of "worst" locations for thru-hikers on the AT with a fear of heights?

I have a buddy with some apprehensions based on his fear of heights. It would be helpful if I could say there are x number of places we might have to deal with.

I know this is subjective but any help is appreciated.

Trail Bug
04-28-2011, 06:25
Baldpate East in Maine gave me the creeps.

elray
04-28-2011, 06:30
I thought the Lehigh Gap was a little scary for one.