PDA

View Full Version : What's the single busiest/crowdedest week in N GA?

bigben
12-04-2006, 20:07
This year's section hike is @55 miles, starting at Neel's Gap and ending at the Standing Indian Campground(via the Kimsey Creek Trail). Last year, we did Amicalola to Neel's the week of 5/14-5/18 and I didn't think it was what I'd consider "too" crowded; it was quite nice actually, number-of-people-wise. This year, 2007, I'm not sure I can get that week off, but I do have from 3/24 to 4/3 off for certain. From what I gather, the trail will be mega-crowded then, but if that's when I have to go, well, that's when I have to go.

So I ask, what week IS the most crowded for that section? And exactly HOW crowded would that week be(i.e. # of people at each shelter site, etc).

Thanks,

Bigben

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2006, 20:17
Actually, 3/24 4/3 is probably among the most crowded weeks of all, as the majority of Northbound thru-hikers leave Springer between 10 March and 10 April; the weekend after April Fool's Day will probably find the largest crowds in the section you plan to hike.

But don't let this bother you.

Shelters and campsites will be jammed, but there are all sorts of other places to camp, in fact you should plan on camping elsewhere and make sure you have a good tent, tarp, bivy, or hammock.

One tip: You might gravitate towards a shelter area or established campsite at day's end because of the company, good water, picnic table for cooking, etc., but if you walk just a few hundred yards NORTH of these areas on the Trail, you'll almost always find a quieter, more secluded private campsite. That way, you can enjoy the good water source, the company, picnic table, campfire, etc., but when it's time to go to bed, you won't be surrounded by 35 other people.

Or you could always avoid these spots altogether, find your own place to camp each night, and not worry about crowds at all.

Skidsteer
12-04-2006, 20:39
Like Jack said, it's a busy time of year and you'll see lots of folks on the trail. If the weather happens to be good there'll be a ton of day hikers on the four weekend days of your hike, but they won't be an issue for camptime.

Just bring your tent like you did this year Ben, and when it comes to nighttime crowds, you'll have the option of taking or leaving them.

Enjoy the hike!

Lone Wolf
12-04-2006, 20:43
99.9% of all hikers that week will be at shelters or established campsites cuz they're scardy cats. Look outside the box.

Blissful
12-04-2006, 20:52
99.9% of all hikers that week will be at shelters or established campsites cuz they're scardy cats. Look outside the box.

And another reason to carry a map. :)

SalParadise
12-04-2006, 21:28

come on, that's a little harsh. Everyone is so excited about their thru-hike it's pretty understandable they'd want to share it with other hikers.

That said, there's an awesome tentsite at the top of a hill not even a mile past Hawk Mountain Shelter. It's a billion tents at Hawk Mtn. and nobody goes past that shelter. And if you can find the med kit I buried there three years ago, it's all yours.

Skidsteer
12-04-2006, 21:38

come on, that's a little harsh. Everyone is so excited about their thru-hike it's pretty understandable they'd want to share it with other hikers.

But those that look outside the 'box' have a much smaller chance of stepping in 'scardy cat' turds. :p

mountain squid
12-04-2006, 22:23
I was at Springer during the first weekend of April this year. I counted 64 thru-hikers (not including section hikers) between Sat and Sun. Very, very busy. I would suspect that the last weekend of March was just as busy, if not busier. Since most thru-hikers tend to begin on a weekend, there should be fewer at Neels Gap on any given weekend. Fewer, but not by much. Of course, that is speculation. Who knows what it will be like next year?!?

So, given your stated time frame, I suggest you start on a weekend from Neels Gap and hope for the best. Either way it will be crowded...

Anyway, have fun and don’t forget the sunscreen,
mt squid

Peaks
12-05-2006, 09:53
If we had a count from Wilton/Mountain Crossings, then it would be easy to figure out what the traffic is. Just back off about 4 days to figure out peak start dates.

Moxie00
12-05-2006, 10:01
Unlike the north, (N.H. & Maine) the shelter sites in Georgia and in much of the south have huge areas where a hiker can set up a tent or tarp. I've seen 50 hikers at a shelter site in Georgia, especially on weekends. It is also easy as Jack and Lone Wolf point out to just settle in anywhere there is a level spot along the trail.You will not find this so much when you get into the rocks, roots and frozen jungle that is nothern New England. I wouldn't worry about the mob of hikers you will fined as there is plenty of room for everyone. You are fortunate you will have the choice of joining in or moving along and camping alone. This is a luxury that us northern hikers don't enjoy as sites are small and very limited. In the 100 mile wilderness once the only level place I found to set up my tent after looking for several miles was in the middle of the trail. Fortunately it was well after dark and no other hikers came along. The next morning I walked 100 yards and found a nice level spot just off the trail.