PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for AT Thru Hike of AT in March 2007

tomman
12-05-2006, 01:57
I would like to have feed back on the type of clothes I have picked for my AT thru Hike starting on 10 March 2007. I know it may be a bit heavy but I am 71 years old and need to insure I do not get to cold on the trail and at night in camp while cooking dinner. After that I can climb into me sleeping bag.

Marmot Precip rain pants and jacket.
REI cargo pants with zip off legs.
REI long sleeve shirt with roll up and button sleeves.
Patagonia capilene1 base layer top and bottom, for the trail.
Patagonia Capilene2 base layer top and bottoms with hiking shorts for camp.
Patagonia Micro Puff jacket, mainly for camp or when I stop for lunch and such on the trail.
one pair of regular underwear. If I fine need more will purchase them on the trail.
Three pairs of wool socks with a liner that is made for people that have braces or ankle foot orthoses. They are made of coolmax with wicking and odor reducing fibers. They are made with no seams to cause problems.
Water resistance gloves.
Smart wool cuffed beanie for the trail and also at night.
Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero rain proof hat. I picked this one because the size is adjustable for when I may use it with the cuffed beanie on the trail.
OR gaiters for use during the cold weather.

I do not at this time plan to have clothes for town only. I will use my camp clothes for town use.

The winter weight clothes will be sent home when the warm weather starts and returned later when needed.

What does this list look like for a thru of the AT?

Not long now and I can hardly wait.

Tomman
GA>MA class of 2007:sun :banana

Appalachian Tater
12-05-2006, 02:21
Maybe you don't need rainpaints, zip-off cargoes, AND hiking shorts, if I understood your list correctly. Consider ditching at least one of them.

You may also not need two sets of long underwear unless you have little body fat or are extremely cold-natured, you will likely find that hiking in long underwear and long pants is too much even in cold weather. You can always mail them home, but if your total pack weight is heavy, that might be a place to cut.

You'll be happy with your choice of the MicroPuff rather than a weighty fleece, that was an excellent decision, warmer and lighter.

Appalachian Tater
12-05-2006, 02:24
Sorry, to be clear, you don't need TWO sets of long underwear, you do need ONE. I kept a pair the whole time, even in the summer, for safety, and occasionally used them.

stickat04
12-05-2006, 07:41
I would go with the 2 sets of Long underwear. If you find out you don't need both send one home, better to be safe then sorry. I started March 1st in 05 and carried 2 sets till Erwin, and yes I used both on those cold rainy/snowy days.

Keep the rain pants till it stops snowing. You will want them if it is snowing and you have to walk in snow over boot high.

I would carry pair of gloves and a pair of mittens for camp. You will want 1 pair if its raining or snowing and the mittens for in camp.

Big Dawg
12-05-2006, 08:10
I would go with the 2 sets of Long underwear. If you find out you don't need both send one home, better to be safe then sorry. I started March 1st in 05 and carried 2 sets till Erwin, and yes I used both on those cold rainy/snowy days.

I agree w/ stickat04. March can still bring some cold weather. I'm pretty warm natured, but have used 2 layers of long undies numerous times in March,, more so at camp. I've only hiked w/ 1 layer of long undies, but that was when it was absolutely frigid:eek:.

bigcranky
12-05-2006, 08:37
I second the suggestion to bring a second pair of gloves or mittens for camp -- nothing worse than getting your only gloves soaked through while hiking in a steady freezing rain, and having nothing dry to put on in camp. I would carry a second hat, too -- I use a microfleece hat for hiking, and a warmer hat for camp/sleeping.

In bad weather you can hike in the lightweight long johns bottons under your rain pants -- leave the cargo pants nice and dry in your pack. Also, realize that you can use your sleeping bag to stay warm in camp while cooking, eating, and just hanging out. It can be draped over your shoulders, or wrapped around your legs, or you can get halfway inside. No reason to carry all the wonderful insulation and only use it for sleeping.

The only other thing I would add is an ultralight wind shirt, which I wear all the time when hiking in cold weather. Layered over a light long john top, it cuts the wind while remaining extremely breathable. Some lists suggest that you can use your Precip jacket for this, but I find mine to be much less breathable, more clammy and uncomfortable. The only time I've worn my Precip while hiking (other than in the rain) was crossing Big Hump last March, when it was about 20-F with 30 knot winds. Brrrrr. A good UL wind shirt weighs less than 3 oz and is an extremely versatile piece.

Here's an interesting primer on a slightly different layering system:

http://www.promountainsports.com/clothing.shtml

Have a great hike.

highway
12-05-2006, 08:59
Sorry, to be clear, you don't need TWO sets of long underwear, you do need ONE. I kept a pair the whole time, even in the summer, for safety, and occasionally used them.
I stopped carrying long underwear at all. It seemed i always carried them and never used them. If it was bad enough to ned them I got in my sleeping bag. walking generates sufficient heat so they are not needed anyway-for my body.

highway
12-05-2006, 09:01
I would like to have feed back on the type of clothes I have picked for my AT thru Hike starting on 10 March 2007.
GA>MA class of 2007:sun :banana

Far too many clothes for my taste. If you cannot wear them all at once yuo take to much

Frosty
12-05-2006, 10:18
Far too many clothes for my taste. If you cannot wear them all at once yuo take to muchThis is my basic test, also. Bring layers such that when it is coldest you will be wearing all your clothing.

For instance, if you bring two sets of long underwear, make it so that you can wear both at the same time. Other wise just one heavier pair.

The exception to my clothing "rule" is sleep clothing. I keep a set of underwear and socks to wear while sleeping only. Every morning they go back into their ZipLoc for the next night. In cold weather (like March in GA) I carry a set of long silk underwear to sleep in, so in effect I carry two sets of long underwear.

As far as having separate capalines to wear in camp and on the trail, I would suggest an overnighter when the evening temps are about 20*. See if you actually change into camp clothing or keep your hiking clothing on until you get into your bag. When you stop hiking you quickly get chilly, and taking off clothing to put on similar clothing may not be what you want to do. Or it may be. That's why I suggest the gear test hike. I like to have a fleece shirt to put on over my hiking clothing to keep warm, and my rain gear if it is very cold or windy or rainy.

I second two pairs of gloves. One should be water proof. Noting chills me more hiking that a wet pair of gloves. To cold not to wear them, but they suck heat from my body when I do. Makes for miserable hiking. Cold weather hiking, I also carry a pair of silk glove liners for sleeping and camp chores requiring dexterity. They weigh almost nothing.

I know this goes against conventional philosophy, but I think it is a good idea for new hikers to carry the extra stuff if they are unsure. Three/four days into the hike you will be at Neels Gap, and can send home unneeded gear and clothing from there. That would be cheaper than buying gear at Neels Gap that you already own but don't have with you.

Just my two cents.

hammock engineer
12-05-2006, 11:12
Here is what I am bringing. I am not sure when I am starting, but it is sometime around mid March. I seem to be the only one without a set date.

Hiking:
smartwool long underwear bottom
smartwool long sleve shirt
smartwool short sleve shirt
2 pairs of wool socks
1 pair swim trunks sans liner
gaiters

Warm:
MEC Northern Lite jacket (very similar to your Micro Puff)
OR mittems (windproof and water resistant)
liner gloves (dry easy and warm by their selves)
OR windproof fleece hat
windproof fleece face cover (serves as bacla with hat)

Camp/sleeping:
smartwool bottoms
smartwool long sleeve top
wool socks

Rain gear:
Campmor rain pants (not sure the brand)
Golite Phantom raincoat

A couple thoughts:
This is what works for me. I feel comfortable hiking into the 20's with those clothes and sleeping with my sleepsystem to below 0. Use this winter to test it out. Hike with a full pack and see. Hiking with a pack will warm you up more than you think.

I would ditch the zip offs and get shorts. I personally don't like them and had them fail, but if you like them bring them. Your rainpants or long underwear under shorts makes good pants. Especally when wearing gaiters. Most times I wear shorts and gaiters.

I didn't see an balcava or over face cover on your list. I would add something to keep your face and neck warm. It wakes a big difference to me when I am sleeping or hiking.

Another thought. I keep my camp/sleeping clothes with my bag. I only change into them after I eat. I keep these dry. I like having one pair of long underwear only for hiking and one only for sleeping. I consider anything I hike in as being wet at the end of the day. The second set insures I have something dry to sleep in.

In the end use what works for you. You can always get rid of some clothes as you go.

Lyle
12-05-2006, 11:45
I know this goes against conventional philosophy, but I think it is a good idea for new hikers to carry the extra stuff if they are unsure. Three/four days into the hike you will be at Neels Gap, and can send home unneeded gear and clothing from there. That would be cheaper than buying gear at Neels Gap that you already own but don't have with you.

Just my two cents.[/quote]

I agree! I have switched to lightweight, fairly minimal gear, but I feel I have enough experience and a comfort level hiking and camping in all kinds of weather that I feel confident.

Ultra-Lightweight is definitely the way to go...eventually. I have reservations teaching or suggesting people go too light until they have the knowlege and confidence that they will be safe. That being said, total weight is still VERY important, and should be considered in every decision.

Regarding gloves. I have used lighterweight wool liner gloves (good for just chilly days, good around camp, warm even if wet) and a water resistant/proof shell mitten. When worn together they are VERY warm. Mittens are much more efficient at keeping the fingers comfortable. Or, keep in mind that extra socks can be used as mittens around camp as long as you aren't cooking or writing at the time.

My suggestion is that you don't try to match the light pack weight of the most experienced hikers, but stick to a more middle ground. Some "practice" hikes, with an easy out, are also very benificial initially.

Best of luck, wish I were going to be out there with you!

Lyle

Appalachian Tater
12-05-2006, 11:57
I stopped carrying long underwear at all. It seemed i always carried them and never used them. If it was bad enough to ned them I got in my sleeping bag. walking generates sufficient heat so they are not needed anyway-for my body.
Yes, I mostly used them for sleeping and a few times under shorts as long pants in town.

ScottP
12-05-2006, 13:24
If I were you I'd be more afraid of repetitive stress injuries from carrying too much than from being cold the first few weeks of my trip. I started march 14th last year, and the last week of march was 15-20 deg. below average in the entire Southeast part of the country. It was cold.

You only need one type of pants. If I were you I'd keep the rainpants and get rid of the rest (cargo pants and both baselayer pants), and pick up some running shorts. Ditch the pagagonia micropuff vest for a western mountaineering flight vest (5 oz, and warmer). Ditch the goofy hat--marmot precip has a hood. Ditch the REI long sleeve shirt and both sets of the lightweight calipine stuff.
A MWT long sleeve top is a great thing to have, I believe that calipine 2 is lightweight, you would want a calipine 3 long sleeve and a calipine 1 short sleeve.
Don't even bother with underwear.

Show up in shape. It will make a world of difference. You might want mittens instead of gloves, but no big deal. If you're worried about cold wait another 10-15 days to start, don't buy 3 pounds and $400 of extra clothes to burden yourself with.

tomman
12-06-2006, 02:43
Thanks everyone for the answers to my clothing question. I will consider each one. I am new to cold weather camping and hiking so I may have to make some changes on the trail.

Tomman

Jim Adams
12-06-2006, 02:54
use a light weight polypro balaclava to sleep in and you will stay alot warmer on those cold nights and don't have to pull the hood tight on your sleeping bag.

bigcranky
12-06-2006, 08:02
Thanks everyone for the answers to my clothing question. I will consider each one. I am new to cold weather camping and hiking so I may have to make some changes on the trail.

Tomman

Tomman,

I don't know what the winters are like where you live in Texas, but if you get some cold weather -- like sub-20 temps -- go sleep out in your back yard for a few days. Set up your tent, cook dinner on your stove, etc. I know you know how to do all those things already, but cold weather can make even the simple stuff more difficult. This sort of practice will pay huge dividends in March.

Blissful
12-06-2006, 11:29
use a light weight polypro balaclava to sleep in and you will stay alot warmer on those cold nights and don't have to pull the hood tight on your sleeping bag.

I didn't think of that one and I got one for my thru. Good idea

Frosty
12-06-2006, 11:47
I didn't think of that one and I got one for my thru. Good ideaThey make a huge difference in sleeping warm, especially for those of us who don't sleep on out backs and tighten the mummy hood around our heads.