PDA

View Full Version : North Country Trail article

Newb
12-05-2006, 08:32
this is an interesting article about the challenges facing the north country trail.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/News01/612050412/-1/NEWS01

partly cloudy
12-24-2006, 00:24
Thanks for the enlightenment Newb.
If you ever hike a horse trail, you would know the difficulty. Major post-holes in soggy spots, and a wash-board effect after an obsticle.
There are many bike riders that respect the land and tread lightly. All you need is one to go down a hill on fragile soil and keep applying his brakes to really screw up any erosion repair that has been done.
The NCT has been designated by congress as a pedestrian trail and overseen by the Nat'l Parks Service, the same designation afforted to the AT. I'm sure a thru-hiker would not like to here shouting from a biker to move off the trail so the biker could go faster down a hill. And, landmines left by the horses are difficult to see at night.
Most Nat'l Forest frown on bike usage on a hiking trail. The Manistee in Mich just turn it's back and ignores the bikers. The Allegheny in Pa. will not allow bikers on a hiking trail as of this coming February. Pressure from the local hiking clubs to the supervisor of that forest can make a difference. Get active and protect your solitude.

minnesotasmith
12-24-2006, 07:50
I've read a couple of previous pieces about it. (Thanks for contributing this article, BTW.) Most of it goes through what I consider my kind of climate. The westernmost 500 miles is a roadwalk, with obvious downsides, but that does lend that end to a relatively early start (in mud season, NOT in deep winter). Maybe I'll go do some small sections of this trail in the next year or two...

partly cloudy
12-24-2006, 13:57
Mr. Minnesotasmith,
Come on up to western Pa. I can offer about 140 miles of trail with 5 miles of roadwalk ( intermitten) and camping any where you please.
And no horses or bikes

minnesotasmith
12-25-2006, 06:17
Mr. Minnesotasmith,
Come on up to western Pa. I can offer about 140 miles of trail with 5 miles of roadwalk ( intermitten) and camping any where you please.
And no horses or bikes

Is this on a trail I might have heard of, or what? More about this would be great to hear. (I've made some good friendships during my thruhike this year with people that live in PA, so have reason to travel up there before too long already.)

MOWGLI
12-25-2006, 08:44
Is this on a trail I might have heard of, or what? More about this would be great to hear. (I've made some good friendships during my thruhike this year with people that live in PA, so have reason to travel up there before too long already.)

I believe he's talking about the NCT, which is in NW Pennsylvania - far from the AT. It enters PA from NY in Allegheny State Park. Here's a link for more info;

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/explore/ex_pa/pa.htm

minnesotasmith
12-25-2006, 19:40
That makes sense. I went to that site and looked at the NCT map again. That trail goes thru PA just as you said it does.

I wonder how much anyone would care if I did the NCT. Only one way to find out, I suppose...;)

handlebar
12-25-2006, 21:03

I wonder how much anyone would care if I did the NCT. Only one way to find out, I suppose...;)

Hey Minnesota,

Maybe someone will start a new "Where is Minnesota Smith" thread and it will set a new record:)

MOWGLI
12-25-2006, 21:16
That makes sense. I went to that site and looked at the NCT map again. That trail goes thru PA just as you said it does.

Only about 10 folks have walked all of it. My friend Ed was the first. Although a thru-hike would involve significant road walking, Ed pieced together lots of trail including rail trails to make it happen. That includes the Northville Placid Trail, which is not part of the official route. The trail is not yet approved in the Adirondacks.

partly cloudy
12-25-2006, 21:35
Minnesotasmaith, The section of the NCT that I am talking about starts west of Salamanca, N.Y down to Clarion Pa. Thru N.Y. Allgeny State Park, into the Allegheny Nat'l Forest, thru Cook's forest and then Pa. state game lands. Shelters set up in N.Y., 2 shelters in the nat'l forest but camping anywhere with no permit, and 1 day walk to Clarion from the forest. I can give you better info, e-mail me.
MOWGLI16 The NCTA people almost had the beginning groundwork for the trail thru the Daks this year. Then, everybody went home for Thanksgiving and now the approval is stalled. There is a suggested route thru using existing trail and some new trail. this will complete the eastern terminus at Crown Point N.Y. More work is necessary but it's getting close. Almost 1800 miles certified, 2800 to go.

MOWGLI
12-25-2006, 22:22
MOWGLI16 The NCTA people almost had the beginning groundwork for the trail thru the Daks this year. Then, everybody went home for Thanksgiving and now the approval is stalled. There is a suggested route thru using existing trail and some new trail. this will complete the eastern terminus at Crown Point N.Y. More work is necessary but it's getting close. Almost 1800 miles certified, 2800 to go.

Good stuff! I know Jennifer and their former Executive Director. They are hard working dedicated folks. The NCT is a little known gem. The Adirondacks and Allegheny SP are amazing places to hike. I grew up playing in the Adirondacks as a boy. Salamanca is an interesting place to. I'm familiar with the area because my wife is from Olean. Does the trail pass through tribal lands?

partly cloudy
12-26-2006, 20:50
Yes MOWGLI16 The trail goes thru about 3 1/2 miles of the Seneca Res. right north of Red Lodge entrance to the ASP. The Seneca people let us cross their land but ask that you don't camp there. Also, the mountain just to the west of where the trail tuns into the park is concidered haunted by the Senecas. Indian witchs will approach you even in the daylight, BEWARE.
My wife is from Eldred and Duke Center, your wife knows where they are.

MOWGLI
12-26-2006, 22:51
My wife is from Eldred and Duke Center, your wife knows where they are.

The Eldred Preserve? We lived close to there when we were in Warwick. I never went though. I did most of my freshwater fishing in the Delaware River and the Beaverkill & Willowemoc.

partly cloudy
12-27-2006, 17:14
The Eldred Preserve? We lived close to there when we were in Warwick. I never went though. I did most of my freshwater fishing in the Delaware River and the Beaverkill & Willowemoc.

Close but no cigar. The Eldred I'm talking about is just south of Olean N.Y. And Duke Center, right over the hill.

Don't think I've been your way.