PDA

View Full Version : Stumpknocker

Hikerhead
12-05-2006, 22:56
Just a note to let everyone know that Stumpknocker will finish up his 5th thru hike on Catawba Mtn/Rt 311 this Thursday at around 5:30. If anyone is in the neighborhood, come on by. All you can eat fried chicken at the Homeplace soon afterwards. :)

Blissful
12-05-2006, 22:58
Congrats on his finish. What a trial he has gone through for this hike! But an inspiration for us next year to keep going, no matter what.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-05-2006, 23:07
Stumpknocker is one of my heroes. He has faced things that would have convinced many to abandon their hike and keep on going. I'm thrilled to hear he will be finishing soon.

Hammock Hanger
12-05-2006, 23:41
Hey, you know I am with you guys in spirit. Munch down on a big ole' breast for me!! Sue

TJ aka Teej
12-06-2006, 00:08
Stumpknocker will finish up his 5th thru hike on Catawba Mtn/Rt 311 this Thursday at around 5:30.

I'll be watching the clock on Thursday! :D

Mother Nature
12-06-2006, 00:13
Proud of him! I told him to be very careful in the last few miles. That's how he got in trouble at NOC and broke his arm.. he could smell food cooking. We all know that the best food on the trail is at the Homeplace so his mind WILL be the destination not the journey. :sun

What an inspirational journey and a testament of grit and determination!

Congrats, Stumpy

Mother Nature and Smokestack

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 05:09
I'm seriously thinking of showing up to greet the ole boy. I'll go early and hang out at McAfee Knob with some PBR tall boys for a little soiree. Hikerhead, be sure to post something if you get word he's gonna arrive much earlier.

StarLyte
12-06-2006, 06:58
Stumpknocker would be so proud to know you all even thought of him like this.

I tried to figure out a way to stay in Virginia long enough to see him finish, but could not. I should have planned it better. I sure would have loved to see him walk into Catawba.....

He's a good man, and a good friend. If you're thinking about being there, don't hesitate, just be there.

What a great community this is. Love to all. :sun

Minerva
12-06-2006, 08:18
Stumpknocker, I know you're reading this thread.

Sorry I can't be there, wish I could, just like you were there for me when I finished up this year. What a year it was for you! None the less, stay upright, tick free and like HH said, but instead go for the leg meat ;-).;)

Sending a HUGE hiker hug your way...give a shout from McAfee's Knob so we can hear ya all the way up here in Vermont... Hokey bring your camera and post some pics.........
Yolanda

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 10:05
YUM! http://filebox.vt.edu/kdesrosi/thehomeplace BBQ on Thursdays!

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 10:10
Lousy link. Oh well. Go Stumpy!

Heater
12-06-2006, 10:11
Lousy link. Oh well. Go Stumpy!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/

The Solemates
12-06-2006, 10:13
another one down stumpy! and in a few more months, i'm sure he'll be out there again. very nice. think of me when you are eating fried chicken...i'll be in canada hitting the slopes!

K-Man
12-06-2006, 10:15
I've enjoyed reading Stumpknockers trail journal for this year. :) Another great day on the Appalachian Trail... I hope I get the chance to meet him on my Thru next year.

Sly
12-06-2006, 10:18
Kludos to Stumpy!

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 10:20
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/

thanks mr. austexs

DawnTreader
12-06-2006, 10:52
congrats stumpknocker. I think I met you at cooper brook falls leanto!!

Jaybird
12-06-2006, 10:53
Just a note to let everyone know that Stumpknocker will finish up his 5th thru hike on Catawba Mtn/Rt 311 this Thursday at around 5:30. If anyone is in the neighborhood, come on by. All you can eat fried chicken at the Homeplace soon afterwards. :)

Congrats Stumpknocker!:D

Kerosene
12-06-2006, 11:36
Here's me and Stumpknocker (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14116&catid=searchresults&searchid=5853) at the re-start of his hike back in September in Glenncliff, NH (I'm the short one headed north!).

Congratulations, Stumpknocker! Wish I could be there to help you pack away some fried chicken.

stumpknocker
12-06-2006, 12:07
Thanks everyone. :-)))

I'm sitting here in Hokey Pokey's home drinking Starbuck's while he's at work.

Today will be my last zero on this walk, then a bunch of zero's after my last 20 miles tomorrow. (Gotta wait till tomorrow to finish...The Homeplace isn't open today) :)

Lone Wolf, if you do bring some PBR's to McAffee Knob, bring some padding that I can strap on....enough of those PBR's makes me fall down. :)

Forecast for tomorrow is for a high in the 30's, winds of 25 mph and a chance of snow....beautiful walking weather!!!

I'll be walking south out of Daleville about 7:45am on the 7th and plan on walking slow for the 20 miles into Catawba where I finish. I'm going to do my best to finish without anymore scratches. :)

It should be another great day on the Appalachian Trail!!!

tiamalle
12-06-2006, 12:33

I'm sitting here in Hokey Pokey's home drinking Starbuck's while he's at work.

Today will be my last zero on this walk, then a bunch of zero's after my last 20 miles tomorrow. (Gotta wait till tomorrow to finish...The Homeplace isn't open today) :)

Lone Wolf, if you do bring some PBR's to McAffee Knob, bring some padding that I can strap on....enough of those PBR's makes me fall down. :)

Forecast for tomorrow is for a high in the 30's, winds of 25 mph and a chance of snow....beautiful walking weather!!!

I'll be walking south out of Daleville about 7:45am on the 7th and plan on walking slow for the 20 miles into Catawba where I finish. I'm going to do my best to finish without anymore scratches. :)

good luck and congrads

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 17:30
Guess I'll head NOBO around 10:30ish and run into you somewhere past McAfee. Anybody else?

Hikerhead
12-06-2006, 19:00
I wish that I could get off and hike with him but I have to work, damn work.:mad:

That's awesome that you're coming up LW. He's looking forward to seeing you. I'll get to the parking lot around 5:30 with the camera to catch you guys coming out of the woods. He says he's wearing shorts tomorrow, I say he's going to freeze his ass off. :)

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 19:41
No shorts for me. I'm a cyber hiker. My ass will freeze!:)

warraghiyagey
12-06-2006, 20:13
Hey Stumpknocker,

Congrats again. I didn't know all the times that I met you in Maine and NH this summer the depth of your trail legacy. 'The Mobsters' - DawnTreader (the Dude), Brit, True Grit, Shanghai, Buddha and myself were always happy to tell the stories at the end of the day of having seen Mrs. Gorp and Stumpknocker along the way. I'm planning on starting over from Katahdin this June and it would be great to see you again along the way. Or I may start in Dalton where I left the trail this year. We'll see.
Peace,
Warraghiyagey

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2006, 20:26
Nice work and congratulations!!

But Geez, five times? What's up with that?

There are other Trails out there ya know, and you ain't getting any younger. :D

See ya down the line somewhere.......

eArThworm
12-06-2006, 21:08
... I'm going to do my best to finish without anymore scratches. :)

I strongly suggest you DO that; I believe you're running out of body parts to mangle!!

Almost There
12-06-2006, 22:38
As Sly says:

KLUDOS, Stump!...and you finished in one piece!!!

Hikerhead
12-07-2006, 21:11
Put a fork in number 5, it's all done. As far as I can tell he did the last 20 without getting hurt. Thanks to Lone Wolf for driving up from Damascus. Dinner at the Homeplace was outstanding as allways. Stumpknocker is claiming he only had 4 pieces of chicken, yeah right.

Way to go Stumpknocker!!

StarLyte
12-07-2006, 21:15
Put a fork in number 5, it's all done. As far as I can tell he did the last 20 without getting hurt. Thanks to Lone Wolf for driving up from Damascus. Dinner at the Homeplace was outstanding as allways. Stumpknocker is claiming he only had 4 pieces of chicken, yeah right.

Way to go Stumpknocker!!

Hey Hokey Pokey....I was hoping to meet you when I shuttled him back to his truck.....you had dinner with him? Did he moan when he was eating the chicken?

I'm glad you hiked with him in Shenandoah. I hear you are a good friend. :sun

Hikerhead
12-07-2006, 21:27
Hey Hokey Pokey....I was hoping to meet you when I shuttled him back to his truck.....you had dinner with him? Did he moan when he was eating the chicken?

I'm glad you hiked with him in Shenandoah. I hear you are a good friend. :sun

He moans when he eats anything. He's in there now moaning while eating a bag of popcorn. :eek: Just kidding about the moaning but not about the popcorn. I'm not eating anything till Monday.

I've been meaning to tell you thanks for the microbrew you gave me at the Gathering. That was some good stuff.

StarLyte
12-07-2006, 21:36
He moans when he eats anything. He's in there now moaning while eating a bag of popcorn. :eek: Just kidding about the moaning but not about the popcorn. I'm not eating anything till Monday.

I've been meaning to tell you thanks for the microbrew you gave me at the Gathering. That was some good stuff.

I always bring microbrews from Cleveland Ohio to give friends to sample. I also bring ethnic foods, but ya missed that. Next time.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 22:30
Congratulations Stumpknocker!

Jan LiteShoe
12-07-2006, 22:54

Congratulations Stum Pknocker!
I met you in 2003, north of Madison Hut...
:)
With another thru-hike or two, you might figure nout this walking thing.
Glad you made it to the feed trough upright.
May we call you ReclinerKnocker now?

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 23:00
PHEW! Got back a half hour ago. Still friggin full! Had nice chilly, breezy day on the trail. Waited for Stump at Campbell shelter, we had a PBR and hiked out just at dusk where Hikerhead was waiting. Down to the Homeplace for chow. The joint was packed. Was told it was gonna be an hour wait. Stumpy sees a waitress he knew from a past visit, she remembers him and he requests we sit in her section. A few minutes later the clipboard dude motions us to a table. It ain't what you know but who you know.:) Hangin' with a trail celeb has it's benefits. Chicken, roast beast, ham, bbq, taters, green beans, slaw,apples, pinto beans,gravy, biscuits, sweet tea, lemonade, cobbler. What else? Stump wouldn't let us pay. Thanks man.

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 23:47
Waited for Stump at Campbell shelter, we had a PBR and hiked out just at dusk where Hikerhead was waiting. Down to the Homeplace for chow..
Well met, Wolf & Stumpy! I bet you didn't need a cooler for the PBRs :D

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 23:49
Nope. No cooler needed. It started to flurry on us just south of McAfee.

LEGS
12-08-2006, 02:43
GOOD DEAL STUMPY, CONGRADULATIONS. AND TO YOU TO LW THAT WAS A GOOD THING YA did there. sounds like you 2 are stuffed, so sleep well, be a seein ya soon. again congradulations stump.

StarLyte
12-08-2006, 08:53
PHEW! Got back a half hour ago. Still friggin full! Had nice chilly, breezy day on the trail. Waited for Stump at Campbell shelter, we had a PBR and hiked out just at dusk where Hikerhead was waiting. Down to the Homeplace for chow. The joint was packed. Was told it was gonna be an hour wait. Stumpy sees a waitress he knew from a past visit, she remembers him and he requests we sit in her section. A few minutes later the clipboard dude motions us to a table. It ain't what you know but who you know.:) Hangin' with a trail celeb has it's benefits. Chicken, roast beast, ham, bbq, taters, green beans, slaw,apples, pinto beans,gravy, biscuits, sweet tea, lemonade, cobbler. What else? Stump wouldn't let us pay. Thanks man.

Sounds like a Ruck meal.

Glad you went LW. I should have drove down.

Good people.

Hammock Hanger
12-08-2006, 09:06
With Stumpknocker finished with his hike what purpose, motivation will I have to get up every morning..... :( I was having so much fun transcribing his little adventure that I would scold him if he type in his own.

Guess now I'll have to get a life and stop living through others. Maybe I should go get in some hiking. What a concept.

Congrats to Stumpknocker, and a BIG Thank You to all who helped him and feed him along the way.

Sue/HH

Booley
12-08-2006, 09:25
Thanks for transcribing for Stumpknocker Sue. It was an entertaining journal to read. Congrats Stumpknocker on number 5!!!

TOW
12-08-2006, 09:49
I saw Wolf last night when he came home and I'm telling you guys he was a waddling like a stuffed penguin...........

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 09:52
Speaking of penguins, here's a great book for kids!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Tango_Makes_Three

Grinds
12-08-2006, 09:56
Congradulations Stumpknocker on another thru-hike. What a feat.

StarLyte
12-08-2006, 21:20
Check out this picture of Stumpknocker, Lone Wolf and Hokey Pokey at the restaurant last night. Click here (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=197808&back=1)

mweinstone
12-08-2006, 21:28
i had a long day. im not congratzin anybody.

sep stump.

Minerva
12-09-2006, 08:24
Oh man, Iris and I are so glad to read that you finally completed your hike AND in one piece! Great picture of the chicken leg salute. Did you realize you only need about 4,000 more posts about this and you'll be right up there with MS?:D
MrsG

khaynie
12-09-2006, 08:53
Congrats StumpKnocker! I enjoyed following your travels. Is there another thru hike brewing for 07?

Hammock Hanger
12-09-2006, 21:52
i'm hoping that he will do another thru-hike next year but not on the AT...